Windows 10: DISM and SFC

Discus and support DISM and SFC in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I posted in the Win 8 forum but saw I should have posted here. I read the corrective material in Win 8 as to how to fix this missing or corrupted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by maranna, Nov 29, 2015.

1. maranna Win User

DISM and SFC

I posted in the Win 8 forum but saw I should have posted here.
    I read the corrective material in Win 8 as to how to fix this missing or corrupted files issue but either it is over my level or it is too difficult for me.
    I have run both programs and rebooted. i have run in safe mode.
    I have system restore. Also I have an image of a clean install of Win 10 and one of the last big update.
    I have reset.
    I don't know if I should follow the difficult advice in Win 8 or use one of my options; if my options, what priority should I use?
    TY
    Peter

:)

maranna, Nov 29, 2015

2. sfc and dism fails

What is the activation error code?

Gerry C J Cornell, Nov 29, 2015
  3. sfc and dism fails

Hi,

Thank you for letting us know about the status of the issue.

Glad to know that it is working now. I appreciate your efforts and time.

In future, if you have any issues related to Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Nov 29, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

DISM and SFC

dalchina, Nov 29, 2015
  5. Kyhi Win User
    follow the restorehealth link in my sig below..
    it is looking for a repair source files

6. maranna Win User
    I already did the process and chose number one. It said," Enjoy" as though it was successful b/c it said previously that it was repairable. SFC still did not work. Is a reboot necessary before I keep running SFC?

maranna, Nov 29, 2015
  7. Kyhi Win User
    The program does not say "Enjoy" unless you chose option 0

Press 0 - Quit and Exit program

8. maranna Win User

DISM and SFC

I chose 1 then 2 then 3. It said it found a missing file but then the source was an issue.
    I guess it is the traditional system restore, , image or reset. I have an image when I first did a clean install and another after the last big update.
    Do you have any advice?

maranna, Nov 29, 2015
  9. essenbe Win User
    Download the ISO from Techbench Tech Bench for the exact same version you have installed, mount the ISO file, by right clicking and select mount. Windows will give you a drive letter. Right click the start icon and select command prompt (Admin), copy/Paste this into the command window

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wimDISM and SFC :D:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Use the letter assigned to your mounted ISO where I have 'D' in red.

essenbe, Nov 29, 2015
  10. maranna Win User
    I am curious; what happens to the integrity of the ISO disc I have for Win 10 Pro for future use if I use this if I use this?

maranna, Nov 29, 2015
  11. essenbe Win User
    Nothing. it will be fine. The error you received said it couldn't find the source, so you are going to give it a source. I really don't know, but it seems it will just copy the missing file from the source and paste it where it should be on your system.

essenbe, Nov 29, 2015
  12. maranna Win User
    Brink
    I brought my post over from Win 8. The process said I found a missing file but there was an issue with the source - I think. I used 1,2 and 3. This is pretty hard for my skill level.
    Would I be better off using system restore, or an image - I have one of the clean install of Win 10 pro and one after the last big update, or reset. I do not know how to do a reset if it gets to that except to go to recover and find it there.
    I did not mean to snub essenbe but it is hard material of which I am unsure.
    TY
    Peter

maranna, Nov 29, 2015
  13. maranna Win User

DISM and SFC

>>Now I understand - I wonder why it could not find the file(s) on my ISO? I used it for a clean install.

maranna, Nov 29, 2015
  14. essenbe Win User
    Depending on how you got your ISO file, it may have an install.esd and not an install.wim. An .esd file is compressed, as I understand and a .wim file is not. It can't read from an esd file.

essenbe, Nov 29, 2015
  15. maranna Win User
    Thank you for the clarification. I understand the difference. This is quite complicated because there are so many variables.
    I think I just got the ISO file from MS when you Google it and burned it to disc. I may have gotten it from the media recovery tool though - I really don't remember. Is there a way to tell? If I understand you I want the .wim ISO.
    I think I will take the least complicated road. Too old & too sick but need functional machines.

Tomorrow I will try each of my 2 images and see if SFC works with either. The first was a clean install from the iso disc and the 2nd image was just after the last big update. I think I will try the last one first. If not I will reluctantly either try a reset or a clean install like I did before. I know the ISO disc was being read b/c when I booted from it, Win 10 was installed.
    BTW, if all a/v + anti malware tests are OK is there any harm to running a system that doesn't pass the SFC and DISM test?
    TY for your help.
    Peter
    P.S. Anything you can tell me to make sense would be greatly appreciated. I am open to corrections.

maranna, Nov 30, 2015
Thema:

DISM and SFC

1. DISM and SFC - Similar Threads - DISM SFC

2. System corruption. DISM, SFC corrupted.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System corruption. DISM, SFC corrupted.: Hello,I have been having issues with corruption on my operating system.I have tried updating my windows and it hasn't worked. I have tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter, it had done nothing at all. I even system restored.I have tried DISM and SFC, but they are corrupt...
  3. System corruption. DISM, SFC corrupted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System corruption. DISM, SFC corrupted.: Hello,I have been having issues with corruption on my operating system.I have tried updating my windows and it hasn't worked. I have tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter, it had done nothing at all. I even system restored.I have tried DISM and SFC, but they are corrupt...
  4. System corruption. DISM, SFC corrupted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SFC and DISM commands not working, random BSOD's with stop code memory management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SFC and DISM commands not working, random BSOD's with stop code memory management: My computer was randomly crashing into BSOD with stop code memory management. I tried running the memory troubleshooter through the system but it fixed nothing. I tried running the "sfc /scannow" and "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth" commands multiple times but...
  6. SFC and DISM commands not working, random BSOD's with stop code memory management

SFC and DISM commands not working, random BSOD's with stop code memory management: My computer was randomly crashing into BSOD with stop code memory management. I tried running the memory troubleshooter through the system but it fixed nothing. I tried running the "sfc /scannow" and "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth" commands multiple times but...
  7. After March 2024 Update - I'm getting "class not registered" and sfc /scannow and DISM...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After March 2024 Update - I'm getting "class not registered" and sfc /scannow and DISM...: After March 2024 Update - I'm getting "class not registered" and sfc /scannow and DISM cannot fix it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-march-2024-update-im-getting-class-not/589463a8-9fff-41ff-acf7-dfb6efa6ed9a
  8. After March 2024 Update - I'm getting "class not registered" and sfc /scannow and DISM...

After March 2024 Update - I'm getting "class not registered" and sfc /scannow and DISM...: After March 2024 Update - I'm getting "class not registered" and sfc /scannow and DISM cannot fix it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-march-2024-update-im-getting-class-not/589463a8-9fff-41ff-acf7-dfb6efa6ed9a
  9. Is there a 3rd Party DISM and SFC App That Doesn't Rely on Windows' Built-in DISM and SFC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a 3rd Party DISM and SFC App That Doesn't Rely on Windows' Built-in DISM and SFC?: Hi Microsoft friends, my DISM and SFC in the command prompt won't work, can't boot to a Windows USB installer, can't go to Recovery Mode, can't go to Safe Mode and I can't install in-place Windows 11 22H2, is there a 3rd party DISM app that doesn't rely on Windows' built-in...
  10. Is there a 3rd Party DISM and SFC App That Doesn't Rely on Windows' Built-in DISM and SFC?

Is there a 3rd Party DISM and SFC App That Doesn't Rely on Windows' Built-in DISM and SFC?: Hi Microsoft friends, my DISM and SFC in the command prompt won't work, can't boot to a Windows USB installer, can't go to Recovery Mode, can't go to Safe Mode and I can't install in-place Windows 11 22H2, is there a 3rd party DISM app that doesn't rely on Windows' built-in...