Windows 10: DISM Can't Find Sources

Discus and support DISM Can't Find Sources in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been trying to fix a laptop that got corrupted after an antivirus was running during a windows update. It booted but couldn't get past the login... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by OfficialDalek, Aug 9, 2019.

1. DISM Can't Find Sources

I've been trying to fix a laptop that got corrupted after an antivirus was running during a windows update. It booted but couldn't get past the login screen. Tried several things to at least get logged on but started focusing more on repairing the corruption off of a repair disk. Ran sfc and it came back with the usual corruption error saying that it could detect corruption but couldn't fix it.

This brings me to DISM. Found the Windows build the laptop currently has (17763.1), and after ages of searching I finally found a Windows ISO of the same build. Used rufus to create a bootable USB stick and followed some guides that said to set the DISM source to drive:\sources\install.wim, which I do. Comes back as sources not found. Then tried a Microsoft official guide that said to just point it to the folder with the sources. I try this, directing it to drive:\sources, but still come back with the same result. I have verified that the build ISO I downloaded is the same version as currently on the laptop, but it still doesn't seem to want to use it as a source.

The official guide said to use a "Windows side-by-side folder" as the source, but I couldn't find much information about this online, and if you look it says that a Windows 10 CD would work so I assumed it meant install media. I can post the DISM log if requested.

:)

OfficialDalek, Aug 9, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Source to use for DISM on Windows 10

This is not completely true. The suggestion is to download the Techbench version and use DISM to apply to install.wim directly. However, you can also use the version download from MCT except it will involve an extra step as follows:
    1. Use the latest version of 7-Zip to extract the content of install.esd. For example: to a folder xxx on the desktop
    2. From Admin command prompt:
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\xxx\windows /LimitAccess

See screen shot, the contents of install.wim and install.esd are exactly the same.

DISM Can't Find Sources [​IMG]

topgundcp, Aug 9, 2019
  3. poud Win User
    Source to use for DISM on Windows 10

hmm...

I assumed they were the same all along so I tried simply COPYING the .esd AND the .wim out, and tried to use them but that didn't work either. Now that you mention EXTRACTING it out, that maybe makes more sense.

I thought the .esd version was encrypted. Does 7-zip take care of that?

poud, Aug 9, 2019
  4. m0nt3 Win User

DISM Can't Find Sources

Can't get SFC and DISM to work anymore on Win10

have you tried specifying the source for DISM? We have had a few computers at work give the unable to find source error on Online DISM

m0nt3, Aug 9, 2019
Thema:

DISM Can't Find Sources

1. DISM Can't Find Sources - Similar Threads - DISM Can't Find

2. Can't find source of BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find source of BSOD: Hi there everyone! so i have been having an issue with my pc of late where i seem to have kept getting BSOD with the error string IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. now i have run through the bellow options and i have the results of each test next to it so you can see what i have tried....
  3. DISM command /RestoreHealth unable to find source files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM command /RestoreHealth unable to find source files: I am unable to perform SFC Scan or DISM Restore Health Successfully.Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 Build 19043.1083. sfc /scannow finds corruption its unable to fix.DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth Results in "The component store is repairableDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  4. DISM command /RestoreHealth unable to find source files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM command /RestoreHealth unable to find source files: I am unable to perform SFC Scan or DISM Restore Health Successfully.Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 Build 19043.1083. sfc /scannow finds corruption its unable to fix.DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth Results in "The component store is repairableDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  5. DISM command /RestoreHealth unable to find source files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. DISM offline source

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM offline source: Hi, I have one Win 10 system that's in perfect health, passes sfc & dism with flying colors. I have another Win 10 system, same build as the good one, that has... issues. I'd like to prepare an offline source for DISM from the good system for repairing the bad one. By...
  7. DISM can't find source.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DISM can't find source.: So i've been having some pretty severe issues with Windows recently.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-freezing-and-crashing-randomly-updated/c2e680bc-e756-4bba-99b4-b69bc2f063dbIt's SEVERLY hindered my ability to do pretty much anything on it.But...
  8. Why can't DISM find the Source files when run?

Why can't DISM find the Source files when run?: After running dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, twice I keep getting: Error: 0x800f081f, The source files could not be found. The previous time I had this problem, I eventually spoke to a Windows Support person and they suggested doing a in-place install or...
  9. DISM Source Not specified?

DISM Source Not specified?: Whenever i do sfc scan it says "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation". Then whenever i do dism health check it says to specify a source. I tried that also with both .esd and .wim file by specifuing it but still it is saying to specify the...
  10. dism restorehealth cannot find source files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    dism restorehealth cannot find source files: Hello I have a laptop which has some problems with corruption. After sfc /scannow I did run dism../RestoreHealth and it returned the above error. I do not have the initial install disk and the version is 1803 /17134.950 so my question is if I can use the image(obviously way...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dism cant find source 1903 wim