Windows 10: DISM /capture-ffu on Hyper-v. Getting error 112 not enough disk space when there is way...

Discus and support DISM /capture-ffu on Hyper-v. Getting error 112 not enough disk space when there is way... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Doing this wrong somehow. Need help.Using the latest ADK/PE iso, booted into my iso on VM.DISM /capture-ffu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Anthony Ingle, Jun 11, 2024.

1. DISM /capture-ffu on Hyper-v. Getting error 112 not enough disk space when there is way...

Doing this wrong somehow. Need help.Using the latest ADK/PE iso, booted into my iso on VM.DISM /capture-ffu /imagefile=F:\TEST_20240610_Win10642021_qC.ffu /capturedrive=\\.\PhysicalDrive0 /name:disk0comes back error 112.

:)

Anthony Ingle, Jun 11, 2024

2. DISM /capture-ffu getting error 112

Why am I always getting error 112 in DISM when trying to run capture-ffu?

I am sure the drive I am trying to capture is smaller than the drive I am trying to save the file to.

Paul Dellisanti, Jun 11, 2024
  3. Hyper-V | DISM Error 112 There is not enough space on the Disk

Hello all,

I've tried looking around the forum for resolving this issue but am coming up short.

I have a Hyper-V Instance of Windows 11 Pro (Unactivated) that I've prepared and sysprepped for mass deployment.

I load the winPE environment into the CD/DVD slot of the Hyper-V and boot into WinPE and run the following command

dism /Capture-Image /ImageFile:install.wim /CaptureDir:C:\ /Name:Install.wim /Compress:Maximum

Doing this yields a Error 112 code suggesting there is not enough space on the disk.

What I've attempted:

So what I have done is within the Hyper-V setting, turned OFF dynamic memory and assigned it 6144mb of memory. It has 4 virtual processors assigned to it and according to DISKPART, Disk 0 (the only disk on this!) is set at 240 GB. I also tried to modify the /scratchdir and pointed it to the C:\Temp folder to see if perhaps it had something to do with that.

DISM /capture-ffu on Hyper-v. Getting error 112 not enough disk space when there is way... de66c007-cb83-4160-a81f-6240f2869ea7?upload=true.png

Any help would be appreciated!

Cristian Aviles-Morales, Jun 11, 2024
  4. Hemmelman Win User

DISM /capture-ffu on Hyper-v. Getting error 112 not enough disk space when there is way...

Need Help: Can't capture image of Windows 11 from Hyper-V

I'm attempting to build a Windows 11 Enterprise reference image in a Hyper-V virtual machine and "capture" a .wim image of that to be used for deployment in our environment. (It's the capture part that isn't working.)

I've done this many dozens of times with Windows 10, but Windows 11 isn't working.

• I create a "Generation 2" VM in Hyper-V. (Windows 11 won't install on a Generation 1 VM.)
    • I install Windows 11 Enterprise, install some software, etc., make some custom settings in the OS, etc.
    • I sysprep and finalize/shutdown Windows.
    • At this point I assign a WinPE boot disk (ISO file) to the 'DVD' drive in the VM. This WinPE (ISO) boot disk is created in Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT- version 8456) and runs a simple Task Sequence that uses the DISM tool to "capture" a .wim image file of the target OS.
    • It gets to the step of "capturing" the image, but simply exits without actually doing anything.
    FYI - This same exact WinPE (ISO) boot disk & Task Sequence to capture an image of the Hyper-V virtual machine works perfectly fine to capture .wim image files of my Windows 10 VM's in Hyper-V.

It acts like it can't find any drive to capture, which is in fact the case.

Just like booting a physical computer, if you boot your VM with WinPE and open a Command Prompt, the disk drive of the computer is available to see and interact with. In this case, the disk drive is normally always drive "C:".

But when I boot the Windows 11 VM with WinPE and open a Command Prompt, there are NO drive letters attached to the OS. (I've checked all 26 drive letters!)

So of course DISM has no way of capturing anything because there is no drive letter to assign to the "/capturedir" parameter of DISM, (i.e. - **/capturedir:C:**). Thus, DISM can't capture an image because WinPE doesn't see the OS drive letter!

I don't understand what is causing this issue or how to overcome it to capture an image of my Windows 11 VM. I've tried changing some settings in the VM prior to booting into WinPE to capture, but nothing allows it to see the target OS drive that I want to capture.

When I install Windows 10 to a Hyper-V VM (generation 1 or 2), when I boot those to WinPE, the disk drive letter for the VM hard drive is there and visible and I have no trouble capturing an image of it, because it actually exists. But on my VM that I installed Windows 11 to, the drive doesn't exist when I boot into WinPE and I have no way to capture an image.

Is anyone else out there attempting to make an (.wim) image of Windows 11 using Hyper-V as your build computer? If so, are you encountering the same problem that I am? If it works for you, can you share your setup or steps you take, etc.? How did you create your WinPE boot disk? Or when you installed Windows 11 into your VM, did you do anything extra during the installation or different with creating partitions or formatting the drive during installation?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hemmelman, Jun 11, 2024
Thema:

DISM /capture-ffu on Hyper-v. Getting error 112 not enough disk space when there is way...

1. DISM /capture-ffu on Hyper-v. Getting error 112 not enough disk space when there is way... - Similar Threads - DISM capture ffu

2. DISM /capture-ffu on Hyper-v. Getting error 112 not enough disk space when there is way...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM /capture-ffu on Hyper-v. Getting error 112 not enough disk space when there is way...: Doing this wrong somehow. Need help.Using the latest ADK/PE iso, booted into my iso on VM.DISM /capture-ffu /imagefile=F:\TEST_20240610_Win10642021_qC.ffu /capturedrive=\\.\PhysicalDrive0 /name:disk0comes back error 112....
  3. DISM /capture-ffu on Hyper-v. Getting error 112 not enough disk space when there is way...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM /capture-ffu on Hyper-v. Getting error 112 not enough disk space when there is way...: Doing this wrong somehow. Need help.Using the latest ADK/PE iso, booted into my iso on VM.DISM /capture-ffu /imagefile=F:\TEST_20240610_Win10642021_qC.ffu /capturedrive=\\.\PhysicalDrive0 /name:disk0comes back error 112....
  4. Hyper-V DISM Error 112 There is not enough space on the Disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V DISM Error 112 There is not enough space on the Disk: Hello all,I've tried looking around the forum for resolving this issue but am coming up short. I have a Hyper-V Instance of Windows 11 Pro Unactivated that I've prepared and sysprepped for mass deployment.I load the winPE environment into the CD/DVD slot of the Hyper-V and...
  5. Hyper-V DISM Error 112 There is not enough space on the Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V DISM Error 112 There is not enough space on the Disk: Hello all,I've tried looking around the forum for resolving this issue but am coming up short. I have a Hyper-V Instance of Windows 11 Pro Unactivated that I've prepared and sysprepped for mass deployment.I load the winPE environment into the CD/DVD slot of the Hyper-V and...
  6. DISM /capture-ffu getting error 112

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM /capture-ffu getting error 112: Why am I always getting error 112 in DISM when trying to run capture-ffu? I am sure the drive I am trying to capture is smaller than the drive I am trying to save the file to....
  7. DISM /capture-ffu getting error 112

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM /capture-ffu getting error 112: Why am I always getting error 112 in DISM when trying to run capture-ffu? I am sure the drive I am trying to capture is smaller than the drive I am trying to save the file to....
  8. DISM /capture-ffu getting error 112

9. DISM FFU Error 1009

DISM FFU Error 1009: i am trying to Create an image to add to SCCM. (first time ever, new to this in SCCM) Built winpe USB 3.0 (16gb) with 1809 ADK and 1809 WINPEADK. i have a fresh 1809 build.(Dell optiplex 5060. i7 8th gen) never connected to Internet or domain. installed the applications i...
  10. Error when installing Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Error when installing Hyper-V: I thought I would try out Hyper-V for the first time ever. However I'm getting an error message when installing it. [img] 17535