Windows 10: DISM confusion. Trying to run from Windows 10 DVD

Discus and support DISM confusion. Trying to run from Windows 10 DVD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've got a computer with a black screen with cursor. I've tried everything I can think of and they've all failed.. I'm now booting from windows 10 dvd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by dbruyere, Dec 16, 2016.

1. dbruyere Win User

DISM confusion. Trying to run from Windows 10 DVD

I've got a computer with a black screen with cursor. I've tried everything I can think of and they've all failed.. I'm now booting from windows 10 dvd and trying to use DISM. I can't figure out the correct path I think. Below is what I've tried. Everything i've read online has just confused me even more. Thanks for any direction.

x:\Sources\> Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\mount\windows

DISM confusion. Trying to run from Windows 10 DVD [​IMG]

:)

dbruyere, Dec 16, 2016

2. How do I disable latest driver update automatic in Windows Update?

Hi,

I downloaded Windows 10 ISO file from Tech Bench then I burn blank DVD media. I try run DISM again, it working fine and repaired now. Thank you for help to solved problem with DISM.

Rose Family, Dec 16, 2016
  3. error 87 while trying to run DISM in Windows 10

There are spaces in between each, that is why error 87 is given...

dism.exe/Apply-Image /ImageFile:flash.ffu/ApplyDriver:\\.\PhysicalDrive2/SkipPlatformCheck

error : 87 ??

yashpithwa, Dec 16, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You can only use DISM to repair an installed version of Windows from within that installed version itself using /Online. You can only repair offline IMAGES of Windows, not Windows installations that are offline.

Service a Windows Image Using DISM

I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong, but I don't think I am. @Kari probably knows for sure.

Is your computer legacy BIOS or UEFI? If it is UEFI, it has to be set to boot in legacy or CSM mode to match the format of your hard drive which is set up for legacy BIOS booting (MBR with an NTFS system partition).

And in your screenshot, D: drive is the partition containing the Windows installation, not C: drive.

NavyLCDR, Dec 16, 2016
  5. dbruyere Win User
    Assuming you are correct, any thoughts on what exactly I can do about the black screen w/ cursor issue that I'm having? I've tried repair. Tried to roll back. Tried to re-install but save the files. It won't let me. Says I have to do it from within windows. Tried to just remote in. That just flashes a black screen like it's about to log in but then disconnects. I can access the files on the computer over the network. Safe mode is not black screen with cursor as well. I've removed the video card and tried with the built in.

dbruyere, Dec 16, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, my first question was if it was an UEFI computer and if so is it set to boot in legacy BIOS or CSM mode? Also, if you have anything connected to USB ports, disconnect them - including mouse and keyboard.

NavyLCDR, Dec 16, 2016
  7. dbruyere Win User
    I meant to say safe mode is also black screen with cursor.

Not UEFI. I've tried without peripherals, no change. Also, I'm able to access the BIOS just fine.

dbruyere, Dec 16, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

There are lots of proposed solutions if you google black screen windows 10. The sure solution is to back up what you want to save, wipe the hard drive, and do a clean install to the empty hard drive.

The only black screen blinking cursor problems I have ever encountered were when the disk type (MBR legacy Bios vs GPT UEFI type) did not match the computer's firmware type BIOS or UEFI.

NavyLCDR, Dec 16, 2016
  9. dbruyere Win User
    I have been searching and trying as many things as I can. It's not a blinking cursor. I think maybe pointer is more accurate. After the windows symbol with the little loading image is done, it just goes black but has the pointer there. I can move the pointer around but the screen just stays black.

dbruyere, Dec 16, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    If it's a cursor (mouse pointer) you can move with a mouse, that usually means bad/non working GPU drivers. Can you get Task manager to start with Ctrl-Alt_Del ?

CountMike, Dec 16, 2016
  11. dbruyere Win User
    Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing that I can see anyway. I had assumed it was a bad driver. I was hoping that pulling the video card would help me get around it but nope. I don't know how to replace or remove drivers any other way.

dbruyere, Dec 16, 2016
  12. CountMike New Member
    Ctrl-Alt-Del should let you start task manager from which you can start new task like uninstalling drivers etc. but if you can't see it than it's another problem.
    There's this program to uninstall and clean up drivers after Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.4.0 but has to work from safe mode.

CountMike, Dec 17, 2016
  13. dbruyere Win User

Thank you for all the help. I don't know how I'd make that work without being about to get into safe mode either. I just tried to do a reset and keep the files. After a long process, it said it failed and no changes were made. I tried to just install from the dvd and keep files. No luck because it said I have to start it from within windows. It's beginning to drive me a bit crazy.

dbruyere, Dec 17, 2016
  14. CountMike New Member
    Anything special, like personal files, you would like to save from disk ? Because I can see a clean installation in your near future.

CountMike, Dec 17, 2016
  15. dbruyere Win User
    Me too. Don't know how I'm going to get there though. If the windows 10 image i created won't let me install. I have another identical desktop. I wonder if I just pull the drive and plug it in there if I can do something.

dbruyere, Dec 17, 2016
Thema:

1. DISM confusion. Trying to run from Windows 10 DVD - Similar Threads - DISM confusion Trying

2. Issue running DISM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue running DISM: Anybody gettnig an issue with DISM when running this command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealthit just errors. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/issue-running-dism/c1c77dbe-c011-4783-bfa8-7be6afe14c8a
  3. Issue running DISM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue running DISM: Anybody gettnig an issue with DISM when running this command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealthit just errors. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/issue-running-dism/c1c77dbe-c011-4783-bfa8-7be6afe14c8a
  4. DISM not running

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DISM not running: I thought it advisable to run DISM to check the health of my system. First I performed a CheckHealth and I got the message No component store corruption detected. The operation completed successfully. After that I wanted a more thorough scan so I started with ScanHealth....
  5. Run Program on DVD in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Run Program on DVD in Windows 10: I have the DVD from the CompTIA Security+ SY0-401 textbook, but I cannot see any of the files, case studies, or simulation apps. Windows 10 will not even recognize the DVD at all. What do I need to do to see my DVD files?...
  6. run dism

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    run dism: What is the string to run DISM ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/run-dism/6e6c9e3d-b255-4309-a552-6360c920e9f1
  7. Received an error when trying to run DISM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Received an error when trying to run DISM: My laptop had problems after I accidentally turned the power off without the battery. And found about 50+ corrupted system files by doing "sfc /scannow" in safe mode. I'm currently able to boot into the normal Windows but some functions are still not working, I tried to run...
  8. Trying to run DISM from bootable USB to repair Windows Installation...

in Windows 10 Support
    Trying to run DISM from bootable USB to repair Windows Installation...: Hi all! Quick explanation. I've been given a laptop by a tech-illiterate lady that belonged to her late husband who just passed from cancer. It's running Win10 Home. Supposedly the Windows Updates were failing for a LONG time now (months, years?) Something is seriously...
  9. running a dvd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    running a dvd: how do I get windows 10 to run a dvd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/running-a-dvd/0c526155-ad2a-445f-b1c9-4ab69c0a6eae
  10. Can't run DISM?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't run DISM?: [ATTACH] I'm running Windows 10 Home on my Alienware Laptop. Here is the log: 2018-09-03 15:13:33, Info DISM PID=3792 TID=10992 Scratch directory set to 'C:\Users\WILSON~1\AppData\Local\Temp\'. - CDISMManager::put_ScratchDir 2018-09-03 15:13:33, Info...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dism run from dvd

2. run dism from win 10 dvd