Windows 10: DISM - Create Bootable ISO with Multiple Windows 10 Images

Discus and support DISM - Create Bootable ISO with Multiple Windows 10 Images in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: DISM - Create Bootable ISO with Multiple Windows 10 Images [img] Information Quite a many of us Windows geeks are in to customizing Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

DISM - Create Bootable ISO with Multiple Windows 10 Images

How to: DISM - Create Bootable ISO with Multiple Windows 10 Images

DISM - Create Bootable ISO with Multiple Windows 10 Images [​IMG]
    Information Quite a many of us Windows geeks are in to customizing Windows install images. For instance, I like to do three different deployment / install images of the same Windows version and edition. One is "plain vanilla", default original Windows install media for a specific version and edition, another the same but containing all my preferred software pre-installed, and one more, multilingual Windows image with software pre-installed, allowing to select Windows language to be installed. I would then like these different Windows images and install options to be available in a single ISO file or bootable USB flash drive.

A post by a fellow member I saw today made me decide to write this tutorial:

No third party tools are required. Windows native DISM (Deployment Image Service and Management Tool) can do it. In fact, using DISM for this is quite fast and easy.

This tutorial will show how to put multiple Windows images to a single WIM file containing all your preferred Windows install images, and how to create an install media (ISO / USB) which, when booted from it, allows you to choose which of the Windows images will be installed.

Contents [/i] Click links to jump to any part

[table][tr][td]Part One:[/td] [td]Create Base WIM Image[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Part Two:[/td] [td]Add other images to base WIM[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Part Three:[/td] [td]Create ISO or USB Flash Drive[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Part One [/i] Create Base WIM Image
    1.1) Create a folder on your PC, and copy contents of Windows 10 install media, either mounted ISO file or USB flash drive to it.

Name the folder as you want to. In this tutorial I use folder D:\ISO_Files, and copy contents of mounted ISO of Windows 10 x64 version 1903 / 19H1 to it.

Note If your goal is to create a multi-image WIM containing both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows images, the base image must be 32-bit. In this case, be sure to copy contents of 32-bit mounted ISO or USB media to ISO_Files folder.
    1.2) Create another folder to save the multi-image WIM. In this tutorial, I will use folder D:\WIM for that.

1.3) Open an elevated Command Prompt, enter following command and check index value for your preferred edition, the edition you want to use a base in multi-image WIM:

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFileDISM - Create Bootable ISO with Multiple Windows 10 Images :D:\ISO_Files\Sources\install.wim

Replace D:\ISO_Files with path to folder you created in Step 1.1. If your ISO_Files folder content was copied from media created with Windows Media Creation Tool, replace install.wim with install.esd.

In my case, I want to use PRO edition, noting its index value 6:

1.4) Enter following command to create base WIM:

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFileDISM - Create Bootable ISO with Multiple Windows 10 Images :D:\ISO_Files\Sources\install.wim /SourceIndex:6 /DestinationImageFileDISM - Create Bootable ISO with Multiple Windows 10 Images :D:\WIM\install.wim /DestinationName:"W10 PRO version 1903 x64 (original)"

Replace D:\ISO_Files with path to folder you created in Step 1.1, D:\WIM with path to folder you created in Step 1.2, and SourceIndex:6 value with actual index value to your base WIM edition. If your ISO_Files folder content was copied from media created with Windows Media Creation Tool, replace install.wim with install.esd in SourceImageFile.

I suggest using clear, descriptive name for both this base WIM, and additional WIM files added to this base. In multi-architecture WIM, it is also important to include bit version to name. In this example, I named my base WIM as W10 PRO version 1903 x64 (original)".

Part Two [/i] Add other images to Base WIM

Note In this example I will add two W10 PRO x64 Insider Build 18898 images to base. First one is heavily customized one but without any pre-installed software, and the second one also customized and with all my preferred pre-installed software.

How to create and capture custom Windows images, see this tutorial: Create Windows 10 ISO image from Existing Installation 2.1) I have saved my captured 18898 W10 x64 PRO EN-GB WIM files in folders G:\Captures\EN-GB\18898CustomNoSoftware and G:\Captures\EN-GB\18898CustomWithSoftware.

I will add the first one to base with same command than in Step 1.4, again using a descriptive name. Command to add the 18898 image with no software:

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:G:\Captures\EN-GB\18898CustomNoSoftware\install.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFileDISM - Create Bootable ISO with Multiple Windows 10 Images :D:\WIM\install.wim /DestinationName:"Build 18898 x64 PRO (no software)"

Notice that as the image is self made, it only contains one edition (PRO) with index value 1. Therefore, I did not have to check index values.

And then the one with pre-installed software:

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:G:\Captures\EN-GB\18898CustomWithSoftware\install.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFileDISM - Create Bootable ISO with Multiple Windows 10 Images :D:\WIM\install.wim /DestinationName:"Build 18898 x64 PRO (with software)"

2.2) In screenshot the command to create base WIM in Step 1.4 (#1), and commands to add two additional images to base in Step 2.1 (#2 & #3):

Part Three [/i] Create ISO or USB Flash Drive
    3.1) In your ISO_Files\Sources folder (see step 1.1), delete original install.wim or install.esd file:

3.2) Copy the modified install.wim file from WIM folder (see step 1.2) to ISO_Files\Sources folder

3.3) To create an ISO file from contents in ISO_Files folder, see Part Five in this tutorial: Create Windows 10 ISO image from Existing Installation

3.4) The multi-image WIM file you created is usually bigger than 4 GB. Because of that, normal methods to create USB install media do not work, due FAT32 file size limit. In that case, see this tutorial for how to create a USB install media from your ISO_Files folder: Create bootable USB installer if install.wim is greater than 4GB
    That's it! When you install Windows using install media you just created, you can choose what version and edition to install:

Kari

:)

Brink, Jun 21, 2018
  2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Kari Win User

It's quite fast and easy to create new custom ISO containing everything you need. See Part 5 in this tutorial for re-creating your ISO with OSCDIMG.EXE (part of ADK Deployment Tools): Create Windows 10 ISO image from Existing Installation

I do it if not daily but at least a couple of times a week.

4. TRWOV Win User

Bootable USB to ISO

He's not trying to make a bootable USB. He wants to restore the ISO from the bootable USB (the reverse operation).

What software are you trying to restore? You can get the Windows 7 ISOs from Digital River: http://social.technet.microsoft.com...c99-42db-80c8-6300f01f7aae/windows-7downloard

TRWOV, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Unable to create Windows 10 bootable ISO file.

What you should do, is first download the ISO file using Media Creation Tool, then use another tool such as Rufus to make a bootable copy. Here is how you do that:

Download the Media Creation Tool Now

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Right click the MediaCreationTool.exe file then click Run as administrator.

Accept the End User License Agreement:

Select the option Create installation media for another PC if you want to download a ISO image or create a bootable DVD or USB thumb drive,

Click Next

If you want to download a particular edition or both architectures, uncheck the Use the recommended option for this PC.

Click in the Edition list box, choose your edition then click Next.

Windows 10 - contains Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro.

Windows 10 Home Single Language - only select this edition if you are running Windows 10 Single Language, Windows 8 Single Language or Windows 8.1 with Bing.

Windows 10 N - only select this edition if you reside in Europe, it does not contain Windows Media Player. It contains Windows 10 Home N, Windows 10 Pro N.

Downloading the ISO file

An ISO file is a digital or virtual replica of a physical disc. In order to use an ISO you must burn it to a optical disc. In the case of Windows 10, a blank Dual Layer DVD or an empty USB thumb drive. If you are using Windows 7, you can create the .ISO then
    burn it using the built in Disc Image utility. If you are running Windows XP or Windows Vista, you can using a third party burning tool such as ImgBurn or Roxio/Nero.

Exception: you can double click the ISO (or right click it, choose Open with > Fiel Explorer), mount it and start the upgrade in Windows 10.

Creating a .ISO file

For the purposes of this exercise, we are gonna use the .ISO option.

Select ISO file, then click Save, Select your location then click Save.

Wait while the .ISO image is created.

MAKING A BOOTABLE COPY USING RUFUS:

You can download Rufus, for free.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

After downloading Rufus, connect your thumb drive, launch Rufus application, click in the Device list box then choose your thumb drive.

Click in the list box then choose your partition scheme. If you select the ISO, Rufus will automatically select the appropriate options for you. Next, click in the File system list box, then choose FAT32. If your thumb drive is larger than 32 GBs, choose exFAT.

Leave the default Cluster size then enter a label for your thumb drive.

Click the choose disk image icon, browse to where the ISO file is located, select it then click Open.

Click Start to copy the files to the thumb drive.

If you have any files on the thumb drive, they will be deleted.

Wait while the files are copied to your thumb drive.

Close when complete

Open File Explorer, then launch setup to begin the installation.

STILL NOT ABLE TO DOWNLOAD THE ISO FILE?

Download Windows 10 1803 from the following link:

https://tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php?sid=74a7cf5...

Choose the following:

- Windows Final

- Windows 10, version 1803

- Windows 10 Pro + Home

- English

- x64 (64 bit) x32 (32 bit)

Step 2: create a bootable copy

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Andre for Directly, Oct 27, 2019
  6. TheroxTherus, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. DISM - Create Bootable ISO with Multiple Windows 10 Images - Similar Threads - DISM Create Bootable

2. windows 10 iso image not bootable.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 iso image not bootable.: hello, i am trying to make a boot able windows ten usb on fedora linux. I download the iso from the official websitewith a download speed a lot lower than it should be for unknown reasons then i go into balena etcher and select the iso image that i would like to flash to my...
  3. Creating a bootable usb from ISO

Creating a bootable usb from ISO: If I create a bootable usb from the ISO file, does that ISO file remain the same in the sense that I can use it to to an In-Place Repair or reinstall Windows?...
  4. How to Create a Bootable ISO Image from Windows Extracted Files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Create a Bootable ISO Image from Windows Extracted Files?: I want to create a bootable ISO Image from Windows Extracted Files. I have all the copied files from a Windows Dvd disc but I want to make a bootable ISO file from it. Please help me in making ISO with the easiest way....
  5. Creating a Bootable DVD with Linux .ISO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Creating a Bootable DVD with Linux .ISO: I am in need of creating a bootable DVD, whenever I put my DVD on the tray and enter it into the computer, I am greeted with a popup asking me which way I want to use this disc, 'Like a USB flash drive' or 'With a CD/DVD player'. I am trying to dual boot Linux and Windows...
  6. Creating bootable unattended ISO..

Creating bootable unattended ISO..: Hi, Is there a proper way to create an unattended bootable ISO (the methods I have tried thus far do NOT work). I have the following ISO files. 1. Windows 10 1903 ISO directly downloaded from Microsoft. 2. Windows ADK for 1903. I only took the auto answer file part from...
  7. create bootable iso for 1803

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    create bootable iso for 1803: hi joydeep sir what tool i will use to create bootable iso for 1803 as 1809 got totally due to some bugs or isolated reported issue by customers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-bootable-iso-for-1803/57e5925e-8d7a-4f8a-b056-360d3dc43a66
  8. best Rufus-type tool for creating bootable USB with multiple ISOs

best Rufus-type tool for creating bootable USB with multiple ISOs: I'm a happy camper using Rufus to create a bootable USB from just one ISO. Now I have a 32 GB USB 3 thumb drive and I want to install various 3, 4, maybe more rescue disks plus Win 64 1803 on this one thumb drive. What's the best, or what are the best choices? Why? There are...
  9. Unable to create Windows 10 bootable ISO file.

Unable to create Windows 10 bootable ISO file.: I am aiming to re-install Windows 10 on my laptop, as it has become grindingly slow. The laptop started out with a factory installed version of Win 7 and I then upgraded to Win 10 when you could do it for free. Now when I go to create a bootable ISO on a 16GB memory stick...
  10. DISM only works with ISO Image

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM only works with ISO Image: I have a Dell XPS 8700 with a clean install of WIN10 that has been running without errors since early August. Yesterday I decided to run SFC /scannow to see if everything was OK. It reported that the file "Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.psd1" needed to be fixed but ultimately...