Windows 10: DISM /Mount-Image Error 3 "The system cannot find the path specified" does not even say...

Discus and support DISM /Mount-Image Error 3 "The system cannot find the path specified" does not even say... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The obvious question here is "how do I get around this problem?" I've used DISM to mount and modify images many times in the past and never run into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Zimbot my employer has, Oct 13, 2020.

1. DISM /Mount-Image Error 3 "The system cannot find the path specified" does not even say...

The obvious question here is "how do I get around this problem?" I've used DISM to mount and modify images many times in the past and never run into this blockage, and DISM itself gives no clue as to what is causing it or how to get around it.

First of all, I know there are many instances of problems that sound just like this all over the internet including this forum. Most have no answers. Some are about completely different operations where the answers suggested were alternate ways to do things, which are irrelevant in my case. After much wasted time, I've given up trying to wade through them to find anything useful.

I consider it a defect in DISM that it provides this error message but does not indicate on console output or in the log filewhich path it was trying to find or open when this error occurred. Microsoft really should fix that.

But all the paths provided on the command line are valid.

I've even done a

DISM /Cleanup-Mountpoints

which actually did have some work to do, and

rebooted my system,

to no avail.

Both the

DISM /Mount-Image

and the

DISM /Mount-Wim

commands yield the same error. Example of what it looks like:

C:\>echo. > C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\>DISM /Mount-Wim /WimFile:J:\Images\amd64\L14_win10v1909exp_v1.wim /Index:1 /MountDir:C:\mount10 /LogLevel:4

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.18362.900

Error: 3

The system cannot find the path specified.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Proving that the paths "specified" are actually correct by recalling and editing the same command line to transform it into a "dir" command:

C:\>dir J:\Images\amd64\L14_win10v1909exp_v1.wim C:\mount10
    Volume in drive J is Images
    Volume Serial Number is 5C3C-CBC5

Directory of J:\Images\amd64

10/13/2020 11:01 a.m. 21,916,174,371 L14_win10v1909exp_v1.wim
    1 Files 21,916,174,371 bytes
    0 Dirs 75,805,683,712 bytes free

Volume in drive C is Windows
    Volume Serial Number is C419-1BCF

Directory of C:\mount10

10/13/2020 10:13 a.m. <DIR> .
    10/13/2020 10:13 a.m. <DIR> ..
    0 Files 0 bytes
    2 Dirs 215,935,897,600 bytes free

I also went back and did this, just to see that even DISM is able to confirm that the image file is, in fact, a valid image that it understands:

C:\>DISM /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:J:\Images\amd64\L14_win10v1909exp_v1.wim

Version: 10.0.18362.900

Details for image : J:\Images\amd64\L14_win10v1909exp_v1.wim

Index : 1
    Name : OS
    Description : <undefined>
    Size : 52,741,093,327 bytes

The operation completed successfully.

The log for this isn't particularly long, so I'll include it here omitting the first column with date/time and the third column which is always "DISM", to save space:

Info PID=5948 TID=1744 Temporarily setting the scratch directory. This may be overridden by user later. - CDISMManager::FinalConstruct

Info PID=5948 TID=1744 Scratch directory set to 'C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Local\Temp\'. - CDISMManager:DISM /Mount-Image Error 3 "The system cannot find the path specified" does not even say... :put_ScratchDir

Info PID=5948 TID=1744 DismCore.dll version: 10.0.18362.900 - CDISMManager::FinalConstruct

Info PID=5948 TID=1744 Local image session has not been created, creating now. - CDISMManager::CreateLocalImageSession

Info Initialized Panther logging at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Info PID=5948 TID=1744 Attempting to load the Dism stack from "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism" - CDISMManager::LoadLocalImageSession

Info PID=5948 TID=1744 Successfully loaded the ImageSession at "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism" - CDISMManager::LoadLocalImageSession

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Found and Initialized the DISM Logger. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_InitializeLogger

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Cannot get the provider PE Provider because it was not found in the provider map - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProviderhr:0x80070032

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Failed to get and initialize the PE Provider. Continuing by assuming that it is not a WinPE image. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Finished initializing the Provider Map. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Getting Provider DISMLogger - CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Provider has previously been initialized. Returning the existing instance. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

Info DISM Image Session: PID=5948 TID=1744 Obtained the local logger instance. Configured the local session to use it. - CDISMImageSession::get_ProviderStore

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Getting Provider DISMLogger - CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Provider has previously been initialized. Returning the existing instance. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

Info DISM Manager: PID=5948 TID=1744 Successfully created the local image session and provider store. - CDISMManager::CreateLocalImageSession

Info DISM.EXE:

Info DISM.EXE: <----- Starting Dism.exe session ----->

Info DISM.EXE:

Info DISM.EXE: Host machine information: OS Version=10.0.18362, Running architecture=amd64, Number of processors=8

Info DISM.EXE: Dism.exe version: 10.0.18362.900

Info DISM.EXE: Executing command line: DISM /Mount-Wim /WimFile:J:\Images\amd64\L14_win10v1909exp_v1.wim /Index:1 /MountDir:C:\mount10 /LogLevel:4

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - CDISMProviderStore::GetProviderCollection

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Getting the collection of providers from a local provider store type. - CDISMProviderStore::GetProviderCollection

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - CDISMProviderStore::GetProviderCollection

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Provider has not previously been encountered. Attempting to initialize the provider. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Loading Provider from location C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism\FolderProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Connecting to the provider located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism\FolderProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Provider has not previously been encountered. Attempting to initialize the provider. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Loading Provider from location C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism\SiloedPackageProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

Warning DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Failed to load the provider: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism\SiloedPackageProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProviderhr:0x8007007e

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Loading Provider from location C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism\FfuProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Connecting to the provider located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism\FfuProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Loading Provider from location C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism\WimProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Connecting to the provider located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism\WimProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Loading Provider from location C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism\VHDProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Connecting to the provider located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism\VHDProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Loading Provider from location C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism\ImagingProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Connecting to the provider located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism\ImagingProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Loading Provider from location C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism\MetaDeployProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

Warning DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Failed to load the provider: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Dism\MetaDeployProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProviderhr:0x8007007e

Info DISM.EXE: Got the collection of providers. Now enumerating them to build the command table.

Info DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: DISM Log Provider

Info DISM.EXE: DISM Log Provider does not support command lines.

Info DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: FolderManager

Info DISM.EXE: FolderManager does not support command lines.

Info DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: FfuManager

Info DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: FfuManager.

Info DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: WimManager

Info DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: WimManager.

Info DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: VHDManager

Info DISM.EXE: VHDManager does not support command lines.

Info DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: GenericImagingManager

Info DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: GenericImagingManager.

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Getting Provider WimManager - CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider

Error DISM WIM Provider: PID=5948 TID=1744 "Failed to mount the image." - CWimImageInfo::Mounthr:0x80070003

Error DISM WIM Provider: PID=5948 TID=1744 onecore\base\ntsetup\opktools\dism\providers\wimprovider\dll\wimmanager.cpp:2590 - CWimManager::InternalOpMounthr:0x80070003

Error DISM WIM Provider: PID=5948 TID=1744 onecore\base\ntsetup\opktools\dism\providers\wimprovider\dll\wimmanager.cpp:3914 - CWimManager::InternalCmdMounthr:0x80070003

Error DISM WIM Provider: PID=5948 TID=1744 "Error executing command" - CWimManager::InternalExecuteCmdhr:0x80070003

Error DISM WIM Provider: PID=5948 TID=1744 onecore\base\ntsetup\opktools\dism\providers\wimprovider\dll\wimmanager.cpp:2122 - CWimManager::ExecuteCmdLinehr:0x80070003

Info DISM.EXE: Image session has been closed. Reboot required=no.

Info DISM.EXE:

Info DISM.EXE: <----- Ending Dism.exe session ----->

Info DISM.EXE:

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Found the OSServices. Waiting to finalize it until all other providers are unloaded. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnDisconnect

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Encountered a loaded provider FolderManager. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Disconnecting Provider: FolderManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Encountered a loaded provider FfuManager. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Disconnecting Provider: FfuManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Encountered a loaded provider WimManager. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Disconnecting Provider: WimManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Encountered a loaded provider VHDManager. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Disconnecting Provider: VHDManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Encountered a loaded provider GenericImagingManager. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Disconnecting Provider: GenericImagingManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

Info DISM Provider Store: PID=5948 TID=1744 Releasing the local reference to DISMLogger. Stop logging. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

Info Provider store has been disconnected. Releasing COM pointers. - CDISMImageSession::Final_OnDisconnect

So the log file seems completely unhelpful.

:)

Zimbot my employer has, Oct 13, 2020

2. Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified

Despite trying different fixes, I can't resolve the Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified problem with my Oracle 12c installation. It has been working fine and suddenly this pops up. I've tried the following to no avail:

1) run sfc/scannow (no errors)

2) run dism/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth (no problem)

3) reset ORACLE_HOME and PATH (all correct)

4) System Restore (failed to complete)

5) Searched forums for answers for 2 days (nearly all point to the PATH issue)

I don't know if it has to do with the Windows Hypervisor Platform which I checked the box for. Ever since then, I keep getting the message that Hyper-V is installed (blocking a Android emulator) even though I didn't check the box for it and unchecked the Windows
    Hypervisor Platform box and restarted several times.

Edward H KNg, Oct 13, 2020
  3. DISM Image Path Location ?

Windows 10 Update kb3105210 fails to complete.

I have done a DISM ScanHealth and it tells me "The component store is repairable".

So the next step is RestoreHealth

I don't have another machine to copy from. Presumably the files I need are on a

Microsoft website somewhere? But what do I specify as Image Path and Directory?

BarrySmith4, Oct 13, 2020
  4. Trinnyg Win User

DISM /Mount-Image Error 3 "The system cannot find the path specified" does not even say...

Current DISM commands as The DISM /ScanHealth, /CheckHealth, and /RestoreHealth are no longer valid.

Not finding the current syntax of this above command to apply to Windows 10 version I am using.

Current version of Windows 10 -

Version 1703 - > os build 15063.608

Windows 10 Professional

Current DISM Commands help file.

Version: 10.0.15063.0

DISM.exe [dism_options] {Imaging_command} [<Imaging_arguments>]

DISM.exe {/Image:<path_to_offline_image> | /Online} [dism_options]

{servicing_command} [<servicing_arguments>]

DESCRIPTION:

DISM enumerates, installs, uninstalls, configures, and updates features

and packages in Windows images. The commands that are available depend

on the image being serviced and whether the image is offline or running.

GENERIC IMAGING COMMANDS:

/Split-Image - Splits an existing .wim or .ffu file into multiple

read-only split WIM/FFU files.

/Apply-Image - Applies an image.

/Get-MountedImageInfo - Displays information about mounted WIM and VHD

images.

/Get-ImageInfo - Displays information about images in a WIM or VHD

file.

/Commit-Image - Saves changes to a mounted WIM or VHD image.

/Unmount-Image - Unmounts a mounted WIM or VHD image.

/Mount-Image - Mounts an image from a WIM or VHD file.

/Remount-Image - Recovers an orphaned image mount directory.

/Cleanup-Mountpoints - Deletes resources associated with corrupted

mounted images.

WIM COMMANDS:

/Apply-CustomDataImage - Dehydrates files contained in the custom data image.

/Capture-CustomImage - Captures customizations into a delta WIM file on a

WIMBoot system. Captured directories include all

subfolders and data.

/Get-WIMBootEntry - Displays WIMBoot configuration entries for the

specified disk volume.

/Update-WIMBootEntry - Updates WIMBoot configuration entry for the

specified disk volume.

/List-Image - Displays a list of the files and folders in a

specified image.

/Delete-Image - Deletes the specified volume image from a WIM file

that has multiple volume images.

/Export-Image - Exports a copy of the specified image to another

file.

/Append-Image - Adds another image to a WIM file.

/Capture-Image - Captures an image of a drive into a new WIM file.

Captured directories include all subfolders and

data.

/Get-MountedWimInfo - Displays information about mounted WIM images.

/Get-WimInfo - Displays information about images in a WIM file.

/Commit-Wim - Saves changes to a mounted WIM image.

/Unmount-Wim - Unmounts a mounted WIM image.

/Mount-Wim - Mounts an image from a WIM file.

/Remount-Wim - Recovers an orphaned WIM mount directory.

/Cleanup-Wim - Deletes resources associated with mounted WIM

images that are corrupted.

IMAGE SPECIFICATIONS:

/Online - Targets the running operating system.

/Image - Specifies the path to the root directory of an

offline Windows image.

DISM OPTIONS:

/English - Displays command line output in English.

/Format - Specifies the report output format.

/WinDir - Specifies the path to the Windows directory.

/SysDriveDir - Specifies the path to the system-loader file named

BootMgr.

/LogPath - Specifies the logfile path.

/LogLevel - Specifies the output level shown in the log (1-4).

/NoRestart - Suppresses automatic reboots and reboot prompts.

/Quiet - Suppresses all output except for error messages.

/ScratchDir - Specifies the path to a scratch directory.

For more information about these DISM options and their arguments, specify an

option immediately before /?.

Examples:

DISM.exe /Mount-Wim /?

DISM.exe /ScratchDir /?

DISM.exe /Image:C:\test\offline /?

DISM.exe /Online /?

Trinnyg, Oct 13, 2020
Thema:

DISM /Mount-Image Error 3 "The system cannot find the path specified" does not even say...

1. DISM /Mount-Image Error 3 "The system cannot find the path specified" does not even say... - Similar Threads - DISM Mount Image

2. the system cannot find the path specified

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the system cannot find the path specified: PDF saved with long name, can't rename, move or delete. That gives me a message saying “the system cannot find the path specified”. in CMD Please what should I do?...
  3. the system cannot find the path specified

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the system cannot find the path specified: PDF saved with long name, can't rename, move or delete. That gives me a message saying “the system cannot find the path specified”. in CMD Please what should I do?...
  4. DISM always displays "system cannot find the path specified"

DISM always displays "system cannot find the path specified": hi,hope you are all doing ok i'm trying run dism after the "sfc /scannow"it always show:Error: 3 The system cannot find the path specified. The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.logi tried downloading the iso image from microsoft media creation tool and...
  5. DISM always displays "system cannot find the path specified"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM always displays "system cannot find the path specified": hi,hope you are all doing ok i'm trying run dism after the "sfc /scannow"it always show:Error: 3 The system cannot find the path specified. The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.logi tried downloading the iso image from microsoft media creation tool and...
  6. DISM always displays "system cannot find the path specified"

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. The system cannot find the path specified. os error 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The system cannot find the path specified. os error 3: Windows 10 OS Build 19043.1348 Ninja version 1.10.0.git**Source Code Path:-** C:\Users\runersystem\AppData\Local\.mabs\siml-mibs-mrunner-m99-w88\workspace\projects\develop\mizen-scri1\tmp-cache\**Build command:** Executed from above path. res/windows/ninja.exe -C build -f...
  8. The system cannot find the path specified. os error 3

The system cannot find the path specified. os error 3: Windows 10 OS Build 19043.1348 Ninja version 1.10.0.git**Source Code Path:-** C:\Users\runersystem\AppData\Local\.mabs\siml-mibs-mrunner-m99-w88\workspace\projects\develop\mizen-scri1\tmp-cache\**Build command:** Executed from above path. res/windows/ninja.exe -C build -f...
  9. The system cannot find the path specified. os error 3

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. "The system cannot find path specified" Error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "The system cannot find path specified" Error: Hi, After recent windows update I'm getting error "The system cannot find path specified" while trying installing CPUID software, such as HWMonitor and CPU-Z, also Sinutrain which I use for University classes stopped working because suddenly it cannot find FREE license on my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dsim failed to mount onecore\base\ntsetup\opktools\dsim\providers\wimprovider\dll\wimmanager.cpp

2. dism error 3

3. dism unmount-image system cannot find path specified error 3

4. Dism mount image error 3