Windows 10: Dism not cleaning up WinSxS

Discus and support Dism not cleaning up WinSxS in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello My WinSxS folder is currently ~6GB big, so I tried using "Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup" (and variants) to clean it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JulianBarathieu, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Dism not cleaning up WinSxS

Hello

My WinSxS folder is currently ~6GB big, so I tried using "Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup" (and variants) to clean it up. The "problem" is that Dism doesn't actually clean up WinSxS, but says it did: when I start the command (in admin mode on cmd), the following happens:

Outil Gestion et maintenance des images de déploiement
    Version : 10.0.10586.0

Version de l’image : 10.0.10586.0

[=========== 20.0% ]
    L’opération a réussi.

(It is in french, sorry.) The last line says that the operation has succeeded, tho it hasn't reached 100%, and WinSxS is only a few (dozens) MB smaller, but still above 6GB. I've restarted Windows and tried again, but with the exact same result.

I am using a Surface Pro with Windows 10 Professional. Below is what show up on "Settings > About".

I don't think it is up to date (which may be the cause for my problem), but I can't update it.

Tell me if you need any more info on my pc.

Dism not cleaning up WinSxS fcdf12d4-d8c4-4e7e-b869-ab9f5aab7639?upload=true.png

:)

JulianBarathieu, Oct 11, 2018
  2. AlminIbrahimovic, Oct 11, 2018
  3. St. Giles Win User
    St. Giles, Oct 11, 2018
  4. Dism not cleaning up WinSxS

WinSxS file too large on Windows 10 device

Hi, I have a Windows 10 tablet (Dell Venue 11 Pro) and the WinSxS folder is occupying a significant portion of the disk space. I visited

this page
    and tried to:

• Run Disk Cleanup, which did nothing
    • Run the Task Scheduler, which reduced the size by a couple of gigabytes but the file is still way too large (exceeding 10GB)
    I did not try the DISM solution as I find the command prompt difficult to use on the tablet and don't have an external keyboard.

The WinSxS file seems to be primarily occupied by amd64 files.

Is there any other way for me to reduce the size of this folder? Is there no specific Windows update that I missed, or third party tool, that deals with this issue? Or is the DISM approach that I skipped stronger than the other two and the only solution?

I'd really rather not do a clean install of Windows but at this point I'm tempted to start deleting large chunks of the folder and reformatting if I break something...

Thanks in advance

Android1577, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

Dism not cleaning up WinSxS

1. Dism not cleaning up WinSxS - Similar Threads - Dism cleaning WinSxS

2. Reduce the size of the WinSxS folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reduce the size of the WinSxS folder: Good morning, In Windows 10 Home in partition C in the Windows folder there is a folder named WinSxS where it has many files. Please be nice to tell me how I could reduce the space (size) of this folder. Wait for response! A good day!...
  3. cleaning up computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    cleaning up computer: My computer is running slow. Are Cleanup programs safe? Does removing broken registry keys, junk files and so forth help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/cleaning-up-computer/0b776977-c711-4c21-ab4f-f3944afa9482
  4. How to clean up this mess?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to clean up this mess?: I just completed the Win10 Anniversary Update on my laptop. Doing that is another story - but this is what my boot drive looks like now: [img] This system was originally Win8 (I know, i should change the drive name) which i updated to Win10 when that came out. I never...
  5. disc clean up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    disc clean up: hi, is it safe to delete windows update clean up files.thanks 53494
  6. Disk clean up do not clean Windows.old folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk clean up do not clean Windows.old folder.: Disk clean up do not clean Windows.old folder. I am finding a driver is there, by name IntcDAud.sys. Here it is 439kb and the same is there in Windows\system32\drivers also. Though I am not worried as space occupied is very less, I wanted to know, why clean up is not deleting...
  7. Copy WinSXS file to usb drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Copy WinSXS file to usb drive: I have two desktops - exactly same specs - Windows 10 10240. One runs SFC Scannow showing no corruption and DISM with no errors. The other has corruption but SFC can't fix and Dism can't find source files. My thinking is if I can use the 1st pc's WinSXS files to run DISM,...
  8. What's the story with Win10's WINSXS directory?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's the story with Win10's WINSXS directory?: There's been a lot written about Win7's ever-expanding WINSXS subdirectory. In my Win7 install (which started out as a clean install) WINSXS is now 9.5GB in size. Granted, my system is several years old, but I know at some point the size or complexity of WINSXS is going to...
  9. Cleaning up W10 Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Cleaning up W10 Taskbar: I have set up IE11 as my default browser, MSN as my home page and Outlooks as default email service. The Edge brower, MS mail icons remain on the task bar. Is it best to remover the unused Edge & MS Mail icons from the task bar? If in the future I find the need to reattach...
  10. Apply Windows Image using DISM Instead of Clean Install

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Apply Windows Image using DISM Instead of Clean Install: Hi Kari, Does this tutorial include setting up the Recovery partition? I wondered if another step was required to copy winre.wim onto there, and then a reagentc step to link to it? 84331