Windows 10: Dism not cleaning up WinSxS

Discus and support Dism not cleaning up WinSxS in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello My WinSxS folder is currently ~6GB big, so I tried using "Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup" (and variants) to clean it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JulianBarathieu, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Dism not cleaning up WinSxS

Hello

My WinSxS folder is currently ~6GB big, so I tried using "Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup" (and variants) to clean it up. The "problem" is that Dism doesn't actually clean up WinSxS, but says it did: when I start the command (in admin mode on cmd), the following happens:

Outil Gestion et maintenance des images de déploiement
    Version : 10.0.10586.0

Version de l’image : 10.0.10586.0

[=========== 20.0% ]
    L’opération a réussi.

(It is in french, sorry.) The last line says that the operation has succeeded, tho it hasn't reached 100%, and WinSxS is only a few (dozens) MB smaller, but still above 6GB. I've restarted Windows and tried again, but with the exact same result.

I am using a Surface Pro with Windows 10 Professional. Below is what show up on "Settings > About".

I don't think it is up to date (which may be the cause for my problem), but I can't update it.

Tell me if you need any more info on my pc.

Dism not cleaning up WinSxS fcdf12d4-d8c4-4e7e-b869-ab9f5aab7639?upload=true.png

:)

JulianBarathieu, Oct 11, 2018
  2. AlminIbrahimovic, Oct 11, 2018
  3. St. Giles Win User
    St. Giles, Oct 11, 2018
  4. Dism not cleaning up WinSxS

WinSxS file too large on Windows 10 device

Hi, I have a Windows 10 tablet (Dell Venue 11 Pro) and the WinSxS folder is occupying a significant portion of the disk space. I visited

this page
    and tried to:

• Run Disk Cleanup, which did nothing
    • Run the Task Scheduler, which reduced the size by a couple of gigabytes but the file is still way too large (exceeding 10GB)
    I did not try the DISM solution as I find the command prompt difficult to use on the tablet and don't have an external keyboard.

The WinSxS file seems to be primarily occupied by amd64 files.

Is there any other way for me to reduce the size of this folder? Is there no specific Windows update that I missed, or third party tool, that deals with this issue? Or is the DISM approach that I skipped stronger than the other two and the only solution?

I'd really rather not do a clean install of Windows but at this point I'm tempted to start deleting large chunks of the folder and reformatting if I break something...

Thanks in advance

Android1577, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

Dism not cleaning up WinSxS

1. Dism not cleaning up WinSxS - Similar Threads - Dism cleaning WinSxS

2. Clean Winsxs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Winsxs: My previous update is on May 4th. I updated Windows update on May 15th. Is after analyze component store recommended yes to start component cleanup on June 3rd? I want to get May 4th update removed. May 4th to June 3rd is 30 days but I updated on May 15th. I hope after...
  3. Clean Winsxs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Winsxs: My previous update is on May 4th. I updated Windows update on May 15th. Is after analyze component store recommended yes to start component cleanup on June 3rd? I want to get May 4th update removed. May 4th to June 3rd is 30 days but I updated on May 15th. I hope after...
  4. Increased Winsxs Size Issue Caused By DISM CheckHealth/RestoreHealth

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Increased Winsxs Size Issue Caused By DISM CheckHealth/RestoreHealth: Hello All,I have just encountered a strange issue whilst performing a monthly disk check-up on my 256GB SSD drive as I usually perform "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth" and "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" as to ensure everything is running...
  5. Increased Winsxs Size Issue Caused By DISM CheckHealth/RestoreHealth

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Increased Winsxs Size Issue Caused By DISM CheckHealth/RestoreHealth: Hello All,I have just encountered a strange issue whilst performing a monthly disk check-up on my 256GB SSD drive as I usually perform "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth" and "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" as to ensure everything is running...
  6. DISM WinSxS cleanup problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM WinSxS cleanup problem: Hi there, i tried using the startcomponentcleanup command but it stopped at 99% and wouldnt move for a while, then i closed the command promt window and tried it again but that time it didnt even display a progress bar. I tried closing my pc to see if it needed a restart...
  7. Dism not cleaning up WinSxS and help to delete C:\Users\Pablo\AppData\Local content

Dism not cleaning up WinSxS and help to delete C:\Users\Pablo\AppData\Local content: Hello, I'm having the same problem that author of this post https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dism-not-cleaning-up-winsxs/4876c1b6-0257-4d8e-b2ca-58165cb1e900 I tried these commands: REM previous versions of updated components will be immediately...
  8. Dism not cleaning up WinSxS

Dism not cleaning up WinSxS: Hello, I'm having the same problem that author of this post https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dism-not-cleaning-up-winsxs/4876c1b6-0257-4d8e-b2ca-58165cb1e900 I tried these commands: REM previous versions of updated components will be immediately...
  9. DISM clean error.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM clean error.: I do DISM cleaning every week end and after cum update done. This timeI got error as follows. *BiggrinirectFileSystemProvider::SysSetInformationFile(flags = (AllowNotSameDevice|AllowSharingViolation|AllowAccessDenied|0x00001400), h = 111c...
  10. Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10: How to: Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10 How to Clean Up Component Store (WinSxS folder) in Windows 10 One commonly asked question is can I delete the WinSxS folder to regain some disk space? The short answer is no. However, there are ways to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. google dism.exe not working cleanup winsxs