Windows 10: DISM offline fix failing - no source

Discus and support DISM offline fix failing - no source in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; A client dropped off a machine to be repaired. It was loaded with Windows 10 home, and the initial build was 1809 (I am unsure if the user has done any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ThetaCoder, Apr 13, 2020.

1. DISM offline fix failing - no source

A client dropped off a machine to be repaired. It was loaded with Windows 10 home, and the initial build was 1809 (I am unsure if the user has done any of the feature upgrades).

The machine will not boot into normal mode or into safe mode. I can get it to troubleshooting and open a command prompt. This of course is running off the repair OS, not the live OS the user would use (to the best of my knowledge)

I have a Win 10 Install stick (1909, USB) in the machine as a source, and use the following command

X:>DISM /Image:c:\ /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth /scratchdir:c:\windows\temp /source:e:\sources\sxs

The scan runs to about 86% then fails with a source not found. I have tried various directories, but the results are the same, either I am missing something fundamental, or this machine is really messed up.

:)

ThetaCoder, Apr 13, 2020

2. DISM sources after Creators Update

Dism /online will always fail to "RestoreHealth" (even after today's 15063.250 point release), because the registry lists a file which does not exist in the Windows 10 sources...

"(p) CBS MUM Corrupt Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0"

Dism (offline) works, it seems, because it's not scanning the incorrect "online" registry.

IT BillMoller, Apr 13, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Source to use for DISM on Windows 10

This is not completely true. The suggestion is to download the Techbench version and use DISM to apply to install.wim directly. However, you can also use the version download from MCT except it will involve an extra step as follows:
    1. Use the latest version of 7-Zip to extract the content of install.esd. For example: to a folder xxx on the desktop
    2. From Admin command prompt:
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\xxx\windows /LimitAccess

See screen shot, the contents of install.wim and install.esd are exactly the same.

DISM offline fix failing - no source [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 13, 2020
  4. poud Win User

DISM offline fix failing - no source

Source to use for DISM on Windows 10

hmm...

I assumed they were the same all along so I tried simply COPYING the .esd AND the .wim out, and tried to use them but that didn't work either. Now that you mention EXTRACTING it out, that maybe makes more sense.

I thought the .esd version was encrypted. Does 7-zip take care of that?

Thema:

DISM offline fix failing - no source

1. DISM offline fix failing - no source - Similar Threads - DISM offline fix

2. DISM offline source

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM offline source: Hi, I have one Win 10 system that's in perfect health, passes sfc & dism with flying colors. I have another Win 10 system, same build as the good one, that has... issues. I'd like to prepare an offline source for DISM from the good system for repairing the bad one. By...
  3. DISM can't find source.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DISM can't find source.: So i've been having some pretty severe issues with Windows recently.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-freezing-and-crashing-randomly-updated/c2e680bc-e756-4bba-99b4-b69bc2f063dbIt's SEVERLY hindered my ability to do pretty much anything on it.But...
  4. DISM Source Not specified?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DISM Source Not specified?: Whenever i do sfc scan it says "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation". Then whenever i do dism health check it says to specify a source. I tried that also with both .esd and .wim file by specifuing it but still it is saying to specify the...
  5. sfc fails dism source fails

sfc fails dism source fails: Windows 10 1803 Workgroup Tried all 3 and failed Have downloaded 1803 iso and mounted and shows as F:\ i see F:\sources\boot.wim have tried to run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:F:\Sources\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  6. DISM fails to repair offline Windows

DISM fails to repair offline Windows: I am trying to revive my Windows OS using DISM but it fails with error 0x800F081F. I am booting the machine with latest USB Boot Media (2004) and trying to repair Windows. The details are: 1. Original Disk failed due to bad sectors. 2. Cloned disk using Macrium Reflect (Free...
  7. DISM Offline mode - Install Feature package/source/Image - Server 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM Offline mode - Install Feature package/source/Image - Server 2016: Disclaimer: Win10 sucks. My question: Where do I get DISM packages to install server 2016 features offline? I need the Source/Package/Image for a specific feature in Server 2016. I can't figure out where to obtain this data. Seems to me it might be the Server 2016 ISO? I...
  8. Dism fails to fix corrupted files , the source files couldn't be found Error: 0x8800f081f

Dism fails to fix corrupted files , the source files couldn't be found Error: 0x8800f081f: [IMG] I contacted Microsoft people through get help option , they installed clean installation of windows 10 by formatting local disk c . It happened after updating to windows 1903 version. I think it happened sftrr updating to cumulative update from 1903 version. What is...
  9. DISM Source Not located

DISM Source Not located: I ran SFC check and found corrupt files that were not fixed so I ran dism and when doing the restorehealth I get errors that source cannot be located. I have tried ISO disc in dvd drive, mounting the ISO image but still get no source; I need some help, thanks. 72131
  10. DISM Source Not Found

DISM Source Not Found: Been Having problem with my video drivers lately, virtual dj, and such, ran sfc/scannow no intergrity violations found, then tried to run Dism and it said "sources not found" that part not sure how to work around it. Windows 10 Pro x64bit 1703 15063.250 Finally got drives...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dism limitaccess wim