Windows 10: DISM Repair not working

Discus and support DISM Repair not working in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from an in-place upgrade. After doing so, I've been encountering numerous issues such as long login times... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ExtremeHeat, Aug 3, 2015.

1. DISM Repair not working

I recently installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from an in-place upgrade.

After doing so, I've been encountering numerous issues such as long login times and the Store not opening due to an error I'm getting which states "This app can't open."

I've ran a SFC scan, and there were errors reported:

Code: Beginning system scan. This process will take some time. Beginning verification phase of system scan. Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.[/quote] So then I used DISM to try and repair things with

Code: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth[/quote] It failed, with an error:

Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.10240.16384 Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384 [==========================100.0%==========================] Error: 0x800f081f The source files could not be found. Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source. The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log[/quote] I tried mounting a windows image over to C:\mount and tried to use that to repair instead of Windows update ( Code: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\mount\windows /LimitAccess[/quote] ) and I got the same error.

Snippet of the DISM log: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/a...8dba16457/raw/
    Snippet of CBS log: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/a...dabc40a60/raw/

I might be doing something wrong perhaps? I'll try to delete the log files and get a clean log.

:)

ExtremeHeat, Aug 3, 2015
  2. Biswa66 Win User

DISM repair tool

Recently I found through sfc that my computer has some corrupted files but windows unable to fix some of them. So how can I use DISM tool to repair it and is it safe ? will this repair do any changes to my pc files?

Biswa66, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Dice Vil Win User
    DISM repair tool

Hi Biswa,

The Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM)
    is a tool developed by Microsoft to fix its own programs and processes especially when they involve system file corruption. Therefore, it's safe to use it. In addition, using this tool will not necessarily change any of your PC files. It will just try to resolve
    the system file corruptions that were detected when you ran the SFC scan.

To get a better understanding of how DISM works, you may give this support article
    a read.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to share them with us.

Dice Vil, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

DISM Repair not working

Try using DISM with system file checker:

You can try fixing the files by copy & pasting in an Admin
    Command Prompt:

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&sfc/scannow&Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc/scannow&pause

And let it run through then
    reboot and run it again to check if it cleaned everything. It
    may take a while depending on your hardware(HDD or SSD), and it may
    appear to freeze at 20% on the third part, just be patient and
    let in run out.

Cliff S, Aug 3, 2015
  5. It has stayed at 20% for me. Maybe 15 minutes. But it was just working.

Cbarnhorst, Aug 3, 2015
  6. ALF
    ALF Win User
    how often should I have to run sfc and dism? lately I have been running it about every 3 days which seems excessive...has MS done something weirder than usual?

7. What issue are you fixing? Have you considered doing an upgrade-in-place using the most recent .iso? That would replace all of your Windows files with fresh ones and you can keep all your apps and files. Use the TenForum tutorial here,

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums[2]=Installation%20and%20Setup

Use the mainstream Media Creation Tool at,

Windows 10

and make either a usb or dvd. Be sure to get the right architecture (32 or 64bit). This is an upgrade so it must be run from within Windows. To do that, make sure you're at the desktop and then insert the media. Setup loads and then you click Install Now and follow the prompts. No product key will be needed.

Cbarnhorst, Nov 8, 2015
  8. ALF
    ALF Win User

DISM Repair not working

everything works fine for a few days, then one by one apps such as mail client, firefox, start not responding until finally the entire machine is non-responsive. have to reset, then run sfc & dism to get back to functioning. tried in-place repair, but gets to 66% preparing and stops.

9. That is definitely not the normal experience. Try the upgrade-in-place. That is NOT the equivalent of Reset because Reset keeps using copies of the same Windows files stored at the time of the installation of Windows 10. The upgrade-in-place using the Media Creation Tool downloads all new Windows files from which you make media.

Cbarnhorst, Nov 9, 2015
  10. ALF
    ALF Win User
    another forum has mentioned Dropbox...I do use it. Could that be causing issues? Also, I am thinking that I can use my ISO disk multiple times -- or do I have to make a new one after updates?

11. Kyhi Win User
    Yes you can use the windows 10 setup media (ISO) as many times as needed..

Doubleclick the ISO to mount it - then click Setup.exe to run the in-place upgrade again

Thema:

DISM Repair not working

1. DISM Repair not working - Similar Threads - DISM Repair working

2. Corruption not repairable, DISM is also failing to repair

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corruption not repairable, DISM is also failing to repair: Hi I wanted to know is there a reason why DISM is failing to repair the component store under impossible to find the sources files error.The sfc return those errors :p CSI Payload Corrupt n...
  3. Corruption not repairable, DISM is also failing to repair

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corruption not repairable, DISM is also failing to repair: Hi I wanted to know is there a reason why DISM is failing to repair the component store under impossible to find the sources files error.The sfc return those errors :p CSI Payload Corrupt n...
  4. Corruption not repairable, DISM is also failing to repair

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Corrupt files not repaired by DISM

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Corrupt files not repaired by DISM: Hi,I have used DISM to check health of my system, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 Installed on ‎02-‎Sep-‎20 OS build 19043.1288 It reports some files corrupt but can be repaired, scannow reports the same. But attempts to use DISM to repair files fails using either online repair...
  6. Corrupt files not repaired by DISM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt files not repaired by DISM: Hi,I have used DISM to check health of my system, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 Installed on ‎02-‎Sep-‎20 OS build 19043.1288 It reports some files corrupt but can be repaired, scannow reports the same. But attempts to use DISM to repair files fails using either online repair...
  7. Corrupt files not repaired by DISM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Attempting to repair DISM application

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Attempting to repair DISM application: Hey. :) So my system has some corrupted files that the SFC is unable to check. I tried running the DISM RestoreHealth function to repair the SFC, but it always says that either the specified file cannot be found or the source file couldn't be identified. I tried creating and...
  9. DISM not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DISM not working: When I run any of the DISM commands in either CMD or Powershell, it opens an empty powershell window. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dism-not-working/da489441-f79f-4819-925c-7416eeec4982
  10. SFC /Scannow will not repair files - nor does DISM work

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC /Scannow will not repair files - nor does DISM work: This is on a new pc I bought today. Bad news! Where can I get an ISO 10240 which I can use on my external disk as a source file to repair - or where can I go for a source file? Appreciate any help. Thanks! 16678