Windows 10: DISM repair with ISO not working am I doing somrthing wrong ?

Discus and support DISM repair with ISO not working am I doing somrthing wrong ? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; He guys new here so bear with me. I tried to ask my question at the end of another thread, but no responses (maybe it's a closed question) so I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by smalltown, Sep 15, 2016.

1. smalltown Win User

DISM repair with ISO not working am I doing somrthing wrong ?

He guys new here so bear with me.
    I tried to ask my question at the end of another thread, but no responses (maybe it's a closed question) so I am trying my own post here.

I have been reading posts with similar issues, but for some reason I can't get it to run with the downloaded ISO file.

Took me a few minutes to find out what an elevated command was, and how to mount a file, but I think I am there now.
    I did down load an ISO that has the install.wim
    I located the downloaded ISO file, right clicked, and mounted the ISO file.
    In my case it indicates a new drive H:
    I opened task manager\ file \ run new task, and pasted in the
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:H:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess
    checked off Create this task with admin privileges, and clicked OK

The moment I click ok the Admin Command Prompt window opens, then quickly closes just as fast.
    I see the DISM tool info version 10.0.14393, and a couple of line below image version number 10.0.14393, then the screen closes.
    It took running the new task quite a few times to finally see what was flasing on the screen before it closed.
    There is no error message.

I have the Win 10 PRO 64 Bit, with the Anniversary update installed.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks for any help

P.S. moderator please feel free to delete my other post (my very first post if you feel that necessary)

:)

smalltown, Sep 15, 2016

2. The Nokia E51: The things that work, and the things that don't (yet)

Hi how did you get it to work with your e51??? when i tried to instal the drivers from the cd it said it cant do it. am i missing somrthing???

gadgethoney, Sep 15, 2016
  3. What am I doing wrong with my browser situation.

I have windows 10 with Microsoft Edge which will not load games at Pogo.com. I have IE 11 which will not load games at Pogo.com. The site loads, but games will not. I am so frustrated with this comp. It is an XPS15/Dell. It is more complication than my
    brain can take. I even bought a book to help me, but most of it I already knew. I go back to my old comp just to play games, but it is wearing out. I need some plain, English explanation for what I can do to correct this mess. I thank anyone who can help
    me in advance. I also despise Bing and wish it was not on my comp. I have tried to disable it but it does not take.

Audrey 490, Sep 15, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

The problem is that you are not running the command in a command prompt window.

1. Open an elevated (admin) command prompt window
    [E.g. Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin) ]

Now cut and and paste your DISM command so it appears in that black window at the > prompt
    and press 'return'.

dalchina, Sep 15, 2016
  5. Adalwar Win User
    I have doing it with 1607.0 and the command has to be:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:H:\sources\install.wim /limitaccess

Adalwar, Sep 15, 2016
  6. smalltown Win User
    dalchina thanks I tried it as you posted, and the DISM does run as it should, however it is still failing with an error message of 1728 "the remote procedure call failed" @94.5% complete

Adalwar I tried your version of the DISM command, and although it did start it gave the same error message

smalltown, Sep 15, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Sep 17, 2016
  8. smalltown Win User

dalchina thanks for hanging in there, and trying to help me.
    The first suggestion: The file was not running so I started it. Reran the DISM command, and still fails. (I tried running it before a restart and after) I also had the file start automatically, and repeated the DISM as above, but no change.
    I restored the file to manual start.

The second suggestion did not have a fix for Win 10 OS.

I don't really want to reload Win 10 to get a fresh copy, but I guess I'm running out of options.
    Sometimes I wonder if I am having a hardware problem so I guess the only way to find out is to install a fresh Win 10 copy, and if I still have issues I will begrudgingly upgrade the Motherboard, CPU, and new Memory.

I have that ISO I just made a couple of days ago. I've never installed with an ISO so here goes !

Or as the saying goes Sure I can do that just hold my beer !

smalltown, Sep 17, 2016
  9. Slartybart, Sep 17, 2016
  10. Kbird Win User
    Kbird, Sep 17, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    You can try an in-place upgrade repair install.. there's a tutorial, keeps all your programs, most settings using the same process as installing Windows. If interested, I'll post further details.

dalchina, Sep 17, 2016
  12. I think in this case the full PE disk would be the best option. The error seems to be RPC related and by booting to the PE environment, that 'error' should not present itself.

Once DISM & SFC are executed from the KyhiPE boot, I believe the RPC issue will be resolved.
    No guarantees though *Cool

Slartybart, Sep 17, 2016
  13. Kbird Win User

Thanks for clarifying SLB appreciate it.

KB

Kbird, Sep 17, 2016
  14. You're welcome KB,

I was thinking it might be easier to do an in-place upgrade than using Kyhi's PE boot (although it is a useful tool to have)
    Great minds think alike, eh?

Here's the Upgrade in-place tutorial.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

Slartybart, Sep 18, 2016
  15. smalltown Win User
    Just to confirm what you all think I should do.

Do the "Repair Install in place Upgrade Windows 10" according to the video by Steve (essenbe) ?

I have the ISO downloaded via media creation tool to a file on my computer. I will mount this file instead of doing it from a file saved to the desktop shown in the video. Unless I here otherwise from you.

Just for the sake of my own information what is the difference between a reinstall and saving all my personal files verses (think that is called refresh) and a new "clean" install. Is it just that one saves the personal files, and other other does not or are there other things happening?

I appreciate what appears to be a team effort to help me !

smalltown, Sep 18, 2016
Thema:

1. DISM repair with ISO not working am I doing somrthing wrong ? - Similar Threads - DISM repair ISO

2. Am I wrong?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Am I wrong?: I don’t want to sit here and complain, plenty others have that covered for me…but you do infuriate me. Your cute little bit locker turned my OS drive into a rock. I tried keying it and then let two computer repair shops give it a go…nope. Okay, fine, I don’t mind a month of...
  3. What am I doing wrong?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What am I doing wrong?: My pc is from 2013 and it runs Windows 8.1 pro fine. Someone recommended that I get off win8.1 and install 10 so at the time there was the 1803 version so I installed that and it's ok. But the windows partition randomly gets corrupt when I turn my pc on. It only happens with...
  4. MediaCreationTool -- What am I doing wrong?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MediaCreationTool -- What am I doing wrong?: This worked a few weeks ago. Path to Media Creation Tool is 'd:\Acer G9-792\Create your own Windows 10 installation media\MediaCreationTool1803.exe' I created a Firewall Rule to allow it through. Now I'm getting this error: "There was a problem running this tool....
  5. What am I doing wrong?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What am I doing wrong?: Hi, I have been trying to create custom Windows themes complete with background images and sounds which I have no problem getting to work on my computer. The problem I am having is when I save the theme the file size is extremely small and when I shared it with someone to try...
  6. OneDrive. What am I doing wrong?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive. What am I doing wrong?: If I open OneDrive from the taskbar, open a folder, click on a file and then click "Share" a pane opens on the right hand side of the window. I am then invited to create an email account. I have done this but set up my existing email provided by my ISP. I am then invited to...
  7. DISM only works with ISO Image

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM only works with ISO Image: I have a Dell XPS 8700 with a clean install of WIN10 that has been running without errors since early August. Yesterday I decided to run SFC /scannow to see if everything was OK. It reported that the file "Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.psd1" needed to be fixed but ultimately...
  8. ISO flavors and DISM

ISO flavors and DISM: The Windows MCT creates an ISO with an Install.esd file. The TechBench ISO download has an Install.wim file. I've seen some posts that say the Install.esd file cannot be used with DISM. I've seen some posts that show a complicated method of using Install.esd with DISM....
  9. DISM Repair not working

DISM Repair not working: I recently installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from an in-place upgrade. After doing so, I've been encountering numerous issues such as long login times and the Store not opening due to an error I'm getting which states "This app can't open." I've ran a SFC scan, and there...
  10. Got WIM file trying to fix DISM-am I using wrong path? Won't work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Got WIM file trying to fix DISM-am I using wrong path? Won't work: I made a WIM for 14257 using the ESD to ISO tool trying to fix the DISM/Restorehealth issue. I cannot get it to work. First time ever I am running into a roadblock. Am I using the wrong path? I have the WIM file in a folder in Native C drive...so when I open up C...