Windows 10: DISM sources not found windows update not working issue

Discus and support DISM sources not found windows update not working issue in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have noticed on a brand new laptop a windows update not working, i seem to have tried every step in the book for windows update fixes and no luck.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Stephenharry89, Dec 28, 2020.

1. DISM sources not found windows update not working issue

I have noticed on a brand new laptop a windows update not working, i seem to have tried every step in the book for windows update fixes and no luck. Troubleshooting is disappointing Iv tried to fix things with sfc /scannow and DISM / ect.... But i keep getting "sources cannot be found" and it wont complete successfully. There must be an issue somewhere if it wont complete a DISM command

Im on windows 10 home index1 and version 10.0.18363.693

Iv have downloaded a creation tool on usb and iv tried dism through that but still shows up as "sources not found" hmmm?

Anyone able to help getting all this fixed? Thanks in advance!

:)

Stephenharry89, Dec 28, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Source to use for DISM on Windows 10

This is not completely true. The suggestion is to download the Techbench version and use DISM to apply to install.wim directly. However, you can also use the version download from MCT except it will involve an extra step as follows:
    1. Use the latest version of 7-Zip to extract the content of install.esd. For example: to a folder xxx on the desktop
    2. From Admin command prompt:
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\xxx\windows /LimitAccess

See screen shot, the contents of install.wim and install.esd are exactly the same.

DISM sources not found windows update not working issue [​IMG]

topgundcp, Dec 28, 2020
  3. poud Win User
    Source to use for DISM on Windows 10

hmm...

I assumed they were the same all along so I tried simply COPYING the .esd AND the .wim out, and tried to use them but that didn't work either. Now that you mention EXTRACTING it out, that maybe makes more sense.

I thought the .esd version was encrypted. Does 7-zip take care of that?

4. RejZoR Win User

DISM sources not found windows update not working issue

How to get damn DISM to work?

Thx guys, I'll compress this data into a blog post. For all the so called guides I've read, not a single one mentioned it has to be WIM file (some listed even ESD which clearly doesn't work) or that certain ISO images don't work with DISM.

After I've done DISM thingie, SFC also managed to repair stuff. Which is what I've needed here.

RejZoR, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

DISM sources not found windows update not working issue

1. DISM sources not found windows update not working issue - Similar Threads - DISM sources found

2. Guys, dism issue Source file could not be found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Guys, dism issue Source file could not be found: 0x800f081f - Error Code.I ran: Dism /online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealthIt says source file couldn't be found.Please help...When I ran:Dism /online /cleanup-image /Checkhealth It says Repairable component.Guys, I'm afraid why it shown and how to fix it. I thought to run it...
  3. Guys, dism issue Source file could not be found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Guys, dism issue Source file could not be found: 0x800f081f - Error Code.I ran: Dism /online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealthIt says source file couldn't be found.Please help...When I ran:Dism /online /cleanup-image /Checkhealth It says Repairable component.Guys, I'm afraid why it shown and how to fix it. I thought to run it...
  4. DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found: Hello, I cannot install the update using the Update center 0x800f0983 from 22631.2271 to Insider Preview 10.0.22635.2841also "DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" does not work for me with and without a source.2023-12-07 19:05:15, Info DISM DISM Package Manager:...
  5. DISM 'The source files could not be found’

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DISM 'The source files could not be found’: It gets irritating quite fast, when your system is not responding on a "mail open" or "open terminal" command. Press on a mail you want to open, and see Outlook start with "not responding". Do a right click on the terminal icon to open it as administrator and see nothing...
  6. About to update, but found an issue with Dism

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    About to update, but found an issue with Dism: I was about to about to the latest update when I decided to check my system. Using the powershell and the check and scan commands here: Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image My system said when I did both that both were repairable. So I proceeded to the steps below and I keep...
  7. About to update, but found an issue with Dism

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    About to update, but found an issue with Dism: I was about to about to the latest update when I decided to check my system. Using the powershell and the check and scan commands here: Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image My system said when I did both that both were repairable. So I proceeded to the steps below and I keep...
  8. Dism source files not found

Dism source files not found: I have several problems on my pc and want fix win10 without reinstalling all apps. When I run: Code: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth[/quote] I get Error 87. With: Code: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /CheckHealth[/quote] I get a message, that it can be...
  9. DISM - The source files could not be found

DISM - The source files could not be found: Something is really screwed up with this image. Booting from an USB installation image indicates that it's already part way through an upgrade ???, and to remove the install media, then select 'yes', which then just boots back to the 0xc000021a error. I've now pulled...
  10. DISM Source Not Found

DISM Source Not Found: Been Having problem with my video drivers lately, virtual dj, and such, ran sfc/scannow no intergrity violations found, then tried to run Dism and it said "sources not found" that part not sure how to work around it. Windows 10 Pro x64bit 1703 15063.250 Finally got drives...