Windows 10: DISM 'The source files could not be found’

Discus and support DISM 'The source files could not be found’ in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; It gets irritating quite fast, when your system is not responding on a "mail open" or "open terminal" command. Press on a mail you want to open, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MichelB62, Feb 16, 2021.

1. MichelB62 Win User

DISM 'The source files could not be found’

It gets irritating quite fast, when your system is not responding on a "mail open" or "open terminal" command. Press on a mail you want to open, and see Outlook start with "not responding". Do a right click on the terminal icon to open it as administrator and see nothing happening, for five minutes. And the task manager is tooling around at 15% or less.

Anyway, I understand you can use:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

should help. But nothing happens for a long time, and then it ends in failure **** well. But if I understood correct that a:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:"path to install.esd/install.wim' file"

should remedy that. But no luck in that department too. So what are my options?

Note 1: I had to reinstall my Windows 10 machine a few weeks back. I downloaded an ISO file, burned it on a big double layer DVD and reinstalled Windows. That same DVD was used as source path in the second command line, which ended in failure too.

Note 2: from same website: "DISM tool is a tool that can be used to fix problems with a Windows installation. Its primary purpose isn’t to troubleshoot bugs but it does have a dedicated set of commands that can help repair broken system components."

:)

MichelB62, Feb 16, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Source to use for DISM on Windows 10

This is not completely true. The suggestion is to download the Techbench version and use DISM to apply to install.wim directly. However, you can also use the version download from MCT except it will involve an extra step as follows:
    1. Use the latest version of 7-Zip to extract the content of install.esd. For example: to a folder xxx on the desktop
    2. From Admin command prompt:
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\xxx\windows /LimitAccess

See screen shot, the contents of install.wim and install.esd are exactly the same.

DISM 'The source files could not be found’ [​IMG]

topgundcp, Feb 16, 2021
  3. poud Win User
    Source to use for DISM on Windows 10

hmm...

I assumed they were the same all along so I tried simply COPYING the .esd AND the .wim out, and tried to use them but that didn't work either. Now that you mention EXTRACTING it out, that maybe makes more sense.

I thought the .esd version was encrypted. Does 7-zip take care of that?

4. DISM 'The source files could not be found’

DISM function and Source Files

What is the command line to set the source files within the DISM function to Windows Update? I have tried to run the DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and I get an error (see below) stating the source files cannot be found and it refers me to a
    Microsoft Website that is pretty much useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DISM 'The source files could not be found’ 3e11b9f7-a145-4aec-ae00-0a43f505f545.jpg

Jessica House, Feb 16, 2021
Thema:

DISM 'The source files could not be found’

1. DISM 'The source files could not be found’ - Similar Threads - DISM 'The source

2. DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found: Hello, I cannot install the update using the Update center 0x800f0983 from 22631.2271 to Insider Preview 10.0.22635.2841also "DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" does not work for me with and without a source.2023-12-07 19:05:15, Info DISM DISM Package Manager:...
  3. DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found: Hello, I cannot install the update using the Update center 0x800f0983 from 22631.2271 to Insider Preview 10.0.22635.2841also "DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" does not work for me with and without a source.2023-12-07 19:05:15, Info DISM DISM Package Manager:...
  4. DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found: I have been trying to use DISM on my Windows 11 installation, but it seems like no matter what I try, whether I use Windows Update as a source or an ISO on the hard drive or a Windows 11 install USB, I get this same error every time. I was able to successfully run sfc...
  5. DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found

DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found: I have been trying to use DISM on my Windows 11 installation, but it seems like no matter what I try, whether I use Windows Update as a source or an ISO on the hard drive or a Windows 11 install USB, I get this same error every time. I was able to successfully run sfc...
  6. DISM "error 0x800f081f The source files could not be found".

DISM "error 0x800f081f The source files could not be found".: I am unable to complete the repair using DISM command tool.My Lap runs Windows 10 version 22H2, build 19045.2364. It has recently started having some problem with windows update showing errors0x80071160 and 0x800706ba.RanDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth Deployment...
  7. DISM "error 0x800f081f The source files could not be found".

in Windows 10 Customization
    DISM "error 0x800f081f The source files could not be found".: I am unable to complete the repair using DISM command tool.My Lap runs Windows 10 version 22H2, build 19045.2364. It has recently started having some problem with windows update showing errors0x80071160 and 0x800706ba.RanDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth Deployment...
  8. DISM 0x800f081f; source files could not be found

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM 0x800f081f; source files could not be found: Hi all, I've been having issues with getting DISM to successfully run the following: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth When I do, it gives me a 0x800f081f; source files could not be found. Part of my problem is that I'm on image version 10.0.19041.508 Windows...
  9. Dism problem "The source files could not be found"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dism problem "The source files could not be found": I have done an SFC /scannow at least two dozen times now on my Windows 10 tablet, resulting in "Found corrupt files but was unable to fix them" message Several posts on this site alone tell me to do a "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" all of which people said...
  10. DISM - The source files could not be found

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM - The source files could not be found: Something is really screwed up with this image. Booting from an USB installation image indicates that it's already part way through an upgrade ???, and to remove the install media, then select 'yes', which then just boots back to the 0xc000021a error. I've now pulled...