Windows 10: DISM Windows 10 offline problem

Discus and support DISM Windows 10 offline problem in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello I have problem with my win its wont start normally, I downloaded a windows 10 home 64 on USB using media creation from Microsoft website to fix... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BEBROS, Jan 30, 2021.

1. BEBROS Win User

DISM Windows 10 offline problem

Hello

I have problem with my win its wont start normally, I downloaded a windows 10 home 64 on USB using media creation from Microsoft website to fix the problem.

But it seems I have a problem with the DISM offline command!!

Can you please show me wht is the correct DISM offline command.

MY USB drive is letter is F:
    Windows drive is C:

Since my windows cant startup normally I am using command prompt from windows reapiring.

:)

BEBROS, Jan 30, 2021
  2. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft enables offline play for Windows 10 games

Most Windows 10 games will support offline play, but you'll have to work at it.

DISM Windows 10 offline problem NK5onxJwAvtQTxbkwSUoG8-650-80.png

"Larry Hryb, the man known to the world as Major Nelson, announced on Twittertoday that Microsoft has "made some backend updates to improve your experience playing @Windows 10 games offline." Basically, if you're going to be somewhere that lacks online coverage—on a submarine, for instance—it will still be possible to play your games. But there are some restrictions.

"Most games available in the Store on your Windows 10 device support offline play, but check the details of the game to make sure yours is supported by searching for your game at http://www.xbox.com," the Xbox support site says. "Most games with a campaign mode will be playable offline, but games with network co-op or multiplayer features will not work while you’re offline. While playing offline, some features, such as the ability to purchase additional items from the Windows Store, will not be available. Additionally, any leaderboards will be unavailable while you're offline."

Obviously, online features like buying stuff from in-game stores won't be available when you're offline, but the bit about "games with network co-op or multplayer features" not working while offline really isn't clear. We tested with Gears of War 4 and confirmed that the offline features like campaign and LAN multiplayer worked just fine when disconnected.

There are more caveats, though. You're limited to just one "designated offline device" at a time, and you can only change your designated offline device three times per year. Switching into offline mode isn't all that easy, either. First, you'll need to set your designated offline device:

• Make sure that you’re online.
    • Check that your device has the latest Windows updates: Go to Start,Settings, Update and security, and then Windows Update and see if any relevant updates are available.
    • Open the Store. You’ll be prompted to sign in if you haven’t already.
    • Select the Me icon (this is your profile picture).
    • Select Settings, and then under Offline Permissions, make sure that the toggle is set to On.
    After that, you'll have to "prepare" your games by launching each one that you want to play offline while you're still online, and logging into your Xbox Live account. This is a bit like launching Steam into Offline mode while you still have an internet connection... but you'll have to prepare each individual Xbox game this way before going offline.

Once you've logged into the game while you're online, you can exit at any time and you'll be set. Of course, if you change your mind and want to play something you haven't properly prepared, you're out of luck.

The upside is that this only affects Windows 10 games, but it still seems wildly complicated and restrictive to me. Worse, while improved functionality is always welcome, I can't see how this does anything but beg for unflattering comparisons with Steam: When I want to play my Steam games offline, I set Steam offline, restart it, and I'm on my way—and I can do it as often as I want. Microsoft's implementation of offline play is an improvement, but only because it wasn't available at all previously. As a step toward becoming more competitive with Steam, though, it falls woefully short.
    "

Microsoft enables offline play for Windows 10 games | PC Gamer

P4-630, Jan 30, 2021
  3. DavidY Win User
    DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image

Ah I thought you might be doing the DISM/drivers one.

It is good info and I use parts of this frequently when I'm reinstalling on my old hardware and need to manually add drivers.

I would suggest DISM /Get-Drivers as an alternate to the Powershell step in 2.2 - the table format is quite useful I find.

One method of applying the drivers I tried which seems to work (not sure how valid it is) when clean-installing a machine as a one-off:
    1. Export drivers as per Step 2
    2. Use DISM /Get-Drivers to show which driver is which, and copy only the ones I know are problematic to a subfolder, and add this subfolder to a bootable Windows 10 Setup USB
    3. Boot Windows 10 Setup from the USB
    4. Open a command prompt with Shift F10, type command 'wpeutil shutdown' but don't press enter. Instead, Alt-Tab back to Setup
    5. Follow the normal clean install process, delete partitions and let it install the relevant edition
    6. When it says Restarting in a few seconds, quickly Alt-Tab to the command prompt and press enter, to stop it restarting but shut down instead
    7. Boot again from the USB, go straight into Shift-F10, and use DISM /add-driver to add relevant drivers to the offline Windows drive as per Step 4
    8. wpeutil shutdown again, and let it restart this time, so that Windows boots and finishes configuring itself with the new drivers available to it.
    I found it easier than Mounting the image and also means I don't change the .WIM so I can use that on other hardware without fear of non-standard (and probably quite old) drivers getting in the way .

Although in some cases I could install and change it once Windows is up and running , one of 1709's default drivers causes a BSOD during installation itself, if I don't add the alternative manually using the above technique before it gets to that point.

But it's not a technique I've seen anywhere else so I'm probably bending the rules somewhere. *Wink

DavidY, Jan 30, 2021
  4. Kursah Win User

Windows 10 is excellent but it's easy to break.

If you want some good information, here's some good reading that will hopefully be more helpful than I have been:
    As I said with Windows 10, the Microsoft Download Tool that most download Windows 10 from, in the Sources folder has an Install.ESD instead of Install.WIM. Well unfortunately, for a successful DISM repair using Install.WIM as the check against which your OS will be repaired isn't possible with the ESD file. But you can convert the ESD to WIM using DISM as well! It takes a little bit of time but is worth it to have around when you need it!
    I have debated taking the links and instructions I've shared and add them to a dedicated thread...it is handy to be able to repair your OS instead of wiping and reinstalling as many folks had to do in previous times.

Kursah, Jan 30, 2021
Thema:

1. DISM Windows 10 offline problem - Similar Threads - DISM offline problem

2. .net framework windows 10 offline installer with dism...error.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    .net framework windows 10 offline installer with dism...error.: [ATTACH] If you've got a Windows 10 installation USB, plug it in and let's assume it's the E drive Go to "E:\sources\sxs", a file in this location with name: "microsoft-windows-netfx3-ondemand-package.cab". It should be around 70mb in size Copy and paste it into...
  3. Windows 10 dism unmount offline image failed with error 32

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 dism unmount offline image failed with error 32: Hi thereI am trying to change some registry keys in an offline image BOOT.WIM as to ensure a recovery-media startup uses the right screen resolution.Therefore i use Windows Powershell admin and make some commandline entries.dism /mount-wim /wimfile:G:\SOURCES\BOOT.WIM...
  4. DISM offline source

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM offline source: Hi, I have one Win 10 system that's in perfect health, passes sfc & dism with flying colors. I have another Win 10 system, same build as the good one, that has... issues. I'd like to prepare an offline source for DISM from the good system for repairing the bad one. By...
  5. Problem in dism.

Problem in dism.: In command prompt if I use dism /online /get-osuninstallwindow It always keeps on showing 10 days even though I used / value:30 too in which it says operation completed successfully but the uninstallwindow always shows 10 ....
  6. DISM fails to repair offline Windows

DISM fails to repair offline Windows: I am trying to revive my Windows OS using DISM but it fails with error 0x800F081F. I am booting the machine with latest USB Boot Media (2004) and trying to repair Windows. The details are: 1. Original Disk failed due to bad sectors. 2. Cloned disk using Macrium Reflect (Free...
  7. DISM offline fix failing - no source

DISM offline fix failing - no source: A client dropped off a machine to be repaired. It was loaded with Windows 10 home, and the initial build was 1809 (I am unsure if the user has done any of the feature upgrades). The machine will not boot into normal mode or into safe mode. I can get it to troubleshooting and...
  8. Using DISM to restore offline image

Using DISM to restore offline image: Hi Microsoft, My windows 10 bootloader is corrupted. I receive errors 0xc0000225 and 0xc0000098 while booting. I have found different methods on internet to fix it but none of it seemed to work. I was trying to repair my image using dism.exe but the problem i am facing...
  9. Dism Problem

Dism Problem: I am starting a new thread because someone hijacked my thread on this: Dism problem "The source files could not be found"' I have done an SFC /scannow at least two dozen times now on my Windows 10 tablet, resulting in "Found corrupt files but was unable to fix them"...
  10. DISM - Edit Registry on an Offline Image

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISM - Edit Registry on an Offline Image: How to: DISM - Edit Registry on an Offline Image [img] Information Servicing an offline image, mounting an image, committing changes, it all sounds a bit complicated to an average Windows user. However, it's just geek speak meaning modifying default Windows install image,...