Windows 10: Display changes refresh rate when plugging/unplugging the charger

Discus and support Display changes refresh rate when plugging/unplugging the charger in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo thinkpad X250 and a thinkpad T440s, and they both change from 60Hz to 50Hz when I’m unplugging the charger and that wouldn’t be a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/dylan844, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Display changes refresh rate when plugging/unplugging the charger

I have a Lenovo thinkpad X250 and a thinkpad T440s, and they both change from 60Hz to 50Hz when I’m unplugging the charger and that wouldn’t be a problem except for the fact that it makes the display flash off for a couple of seconds. The same thing happens when I plug in the charger, except the other way around. So it goes from 50Hz to 60Hz. I’ve tried setting the refresh rate to 60 while I’m on battery power and also as I’m plugged in with the hope that it will stay set at 60 for both charging and not charging, but it keeps changing every time I plug/unplug the charger. Also have tried changing it in the intel graphics command center to no avail. Any help appreciated!

submitted by /u/dylan844
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/dylan844, Apr 1, 2020

2. Refresh rate Problem

Hi Robert,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Screen refresh rate is the rate at which the data displayed on screen is refreshed; it may be an image or some text document. Most of the users would like to set it to a higher rate but this also depends on the capacity of graphic
    card and monitors. If the refresh rate is slow, the images on the display looks as flickering to the user eye and makes it uncomfortable to work.

Nowadays the latest monitors available in market will have minimum 60 Hz of refresh rate and it is very good option to set it to 70 Hz if you your monitor is compatible. Normally a high performance or quality monitors can reach
    120 Hz of refresh rate. So I would suggest you to set your monitor refresh rate as higher as possible, below given steps describes how to access this feature on your Windows 8.1/10 PC.

• The default refresh rate setting is 60 Hertz (HZ); however, your monitor may support a higher setting. Check your manufacturer's documentation for information about the settings that your monitor supports.
    • If you use a higher refresh rate, you can reduce the rate that your screen flickers; however, if you specify a refresh rate that is too high for your monitor, your screen may become unusable and your hardware may be damaged.
    • Changes to the refresh rate affect all users that log on to the computer.
    I would, as of now, suggest you to visit the computer manufacturer's support website and install the latest display and chipset drivers available for the latest operating system (currently it would be 8.1 in the list).

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Niranjan Manjhi, Apr 1, 2020
  3. screen refresh rate

Hello

i just got my lap top two days ago and i have the following problem :

every time i plug and unplug the charger the screen blink black for a couple seconds

i went to power options > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > then i changed the intel graphics power plan to " maximum performance"

the blinking went away but now whenever i unplug the charger the screen refresh rate drop to 48 hz

i'm afraid there's something wrong with the laptop ,it's brand new

laptop : ASUS TUF fx 705GE

thanks for reading

farahalali, Apr 1, 2020
  4. Display changes refresh rate when plugging/unplugging the charger

Blank screen when charger is plugged in

Hello Sudheer,

Thank you for keeping us posted on the status of the issue.

We appreciate you for the time and effort you have put in to resolve the issue. I would like to assist you further from here.

From the last update, I understand that the screen momentarily flashes to black display when power chord is plugged in or plugged out.

There can be several causes to this issue ranging from custom Power Options settings, driver configuration in Windows to voltage difference, power surges at a hardware level.

Please follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

Reset the power options settings in Windows. Please follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X from the keyboard.
    • Choose Command prompt from the context menu.
    • In the command prompt, type powercfg –restoredefaultschemes
      and press Enter.
    • Exit command prompt
    Method 2

Go into the display settings and change the refresh rate just to see if it has any effect. Follow below.

• Right Click on Start Menu and select Control Panel.
    • Choose Display
    • Click on Adjust Resolution
    • Choose Advanced Settings
    • Click on the tab Monitor.
    Check if the Refresh Rate is set to 60 Hertz.

Also, I would suggest you to check with a secondary display to ascertain if the issue is with the display monitor or the charger you are connecting the laptop with.

For more relevant information, refer to the computer assembler/manufacturer's website support on updated drivers for the make and model of your computer compatible with Windows 10.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

Display changes refresh rate when plugging/unplugging the charger

1. Display changes refresh rate when plugging/unplugging the charger - Similar Threads - Display changes refresh

2. Refresh rate changes when laptop is plugged in and on battery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Refresh rate changes when laptop is plugged in and on battery: Hello, I have an Asus tuf f15 laptop which I bought recently. My problem is that my display should constantly have a refresh rate of 144.001hz. It only seems to have that when it's plugged in though, unplugging the laptop makes the refresh rate change to 60.003hz. I have been...
  3. Refresh rate changes when laptop is plugged in and on battery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Refresh rate changes when laptop is plugged in and on battery: Hello, I have an Asus tuf f15 laptop which I bought recently. My problem is that my display should constantly have a refresh rate of 144.001hz. It only seems to have that when it's plugged in though, unplugging the laptop makes the refresh rate change to 60.003hz. I have been...
  4. Refresh rate changes when laptop is plugged in and on battery

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Screen refresh rate changing from 165hz to 60hz when charger is unplugged.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen refresh rate changing from 165hz to 60hz when charger is unplugged.: Hi wondering if there is anything i can do to prevent my screen refresh rate from changing everytime i unplug my charger from my MSI GP66 laptop. I've tried changing power settings but it still doesnt work. Im on windows 11 btw....
  6. Screen refresh rate changing from 165hz to 60hz when charger is unplugged.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen refresh rate changing from 165hz to 60hz when charger is unplugged.: Hi wondering if there is anything i can do to prevent my screen refresh rate from changing everytime i unplug my charger from my MSI GP66 laptop. I've tried changing power settings but it still doesnt work. Im on windows 11 btw....
  7. Laptop not displaying "Plugged In / On Battery" popup when I plug in the charger and unplug it.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop not displaying "Plugged In / On Battery" popup when I plug in the charger and unplug it.: This started a few days ago I believe. Basically, my ASUS TUF FX504 gaming laptop doesn't show the "Plugged In / On Battery" popup when I unplug / plug in the charger anymore. I haven't done anything differently as far as I'm aware... Does anyone know how to get the popup to...
  8. Laptop switches refresh rate when unplugged

Laptop switches refresh rate when unplugged: Hello strangers on the internet, I have a Asus Zephyrus G14 with a AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS with a Nvidia RTX 3060 that when unplugged goes black for a second to change the refresh rate from 144hz to 60hz or the opposite when plugged in. Is there anything I can do to keep the...
  9. Display refresh rate not changing

Display refresh rate not changing: Hello, I am using the latest Windows 10 Home Single Language build for my ASUS TUF FX505DT ver: 20H2, build: 19042.906. My display is capable of upto 1920*1080 @120 Hz, and the default refresh rate options are 48 Hz and 120 Hz. I always switch to the choppy 48 Hz on battery...
  10. Script to change display refresh rate

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Script to change display refresh rate: Hi there, I'd like to know if someone knows a script or tool that I can use to automatically change the refresh rate in windows display settings to 75Hz when a specific program launches and then when that program closes it reverts to 60Hz Kind regards 105694