Windows 10: Display Cuts to Black w/ Sound, Requiring Restart

Discus and support Display Cuts to Black w/ Sound, Requiring Restart in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Relevant information: GPU - EVGA manufactured GTX 970 (SC, ACX 2.0) OS: Windows 10 Home, Version 1903, Build 18362.418 My display has been cutting to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by HAM985, Oct 11, 2019.

1. HAM985 Win User

Display Cuts to Black w/ Sound, Requiring Restart

Relevant information:
    GPU - EVGA manufactured GTX 970 (SC, ACX 2.0)

My display has been cutting to black without warning when playing certain games, and more specifically, when doing very specific things in these games. Immediately after the display goes black, I hear a notification from Windows and the audio from my game. The game still appears to be responsive to input, indicated by the sound played from associated actions (walking, shooting, et cetera).

For example, in an FPS, there is a very small and specific area on a certain map which guarantees my display to cut to black. Now, more recently while playing a different game, an MMO, my display cuts to black shortly after roaming on a specific planet. The two instances don't appear to be causally linked beyond that they're arbitrarily restricted to specific, and repeatable instances.

Now, I have taken a measure in the past to address the problem with no success. I have used Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to perform a clean reinstall of my graphics driver. With no success from that, I only have questions on interpreting this issue.

Could my GPU be dying? (doubt)
    Should I reinstall Windows?
    Should I reinstall the afflicted games?
    Is this an issue with software or hardware?
    What steps should I be taking?
    Et cetera.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

:)

HAM985, Oct 11, 2019

2. Surface Pro 2 Windows 10 - no sound on display port and slow video

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

I would suggest you to run “Hardware and Devices” troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue.

Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Press “Windows key + W”.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    • Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.
    • Select “Hardware and Devices” under Devices option.
    • Follow the On Screen instructions.

If doesn't work, I suggest you to update the sound and display drivers from device manager and check.

Please follow the below steps:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click
      Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
    • Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’.
    • Select the option to automatically search for the updated driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its updated and verify.
    • Follow the same steps to update sound device.
    I hope this information helps. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Oct 11, 2019
  3. Sound cuts out when in game and call

Hello Lilium,

We realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Sound cut's out in between games and calls. We will certainly help you.

• What happens when you only play the game and not use any other application? Does the sound stay?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows updates?

For now we suggest you to try the steps from the link below and check if it helps:

Fix sound problems

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Oct 11, 2019
  4. Display Cuts to Black w/ Sound, Requiring Restart

Issue with black screen, dual display, ATI Integrated GPU

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to go to device manager and disable the display drivers, check whether the issue persists or not.

• Press Windows + X keys and click
      Device manager.
    • Click to expand Display adapters, right click the second adapter and click
      Disable.
    • Restart the computer and check whether the issue persists or not.
    • Repeat the same steps to disable the first display adapter and check if it helps.

If you find the issue is with anyone of the display adapters then, I suggest you to update the display drivers from the manufactures website for Windows 10 and check if it helps.

Method 2: I suggest you to follow the steps form the below article for
    “Black Screen” issues and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Oct 11, 2019
Thema:

Display Cuts to Black w/ Sound, Requiring Restart

1. Display Cuts to Black w/ Sound, Requiring Restart - Similar Threads - Display Cuts Black

2. W-9 Required

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W-9 Required: We are trying to activate licensing but we cannot without a signed order and we need the Microsoft W-9 to do so. Please send a copy of the W-9 as soon as possible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w-9-required/102fae57-39f2-484b-9a6b-c95af60fe943
  3. W-9 Required

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W-9 Required: We are trying to activate licensing but we cannot without a signed order and we need the Microsoft W-9 to do so. Please send a copy of the W-9 as soon as possible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w-9-required/102fae57-39f2-484b-9a6b-c95af60fe943
  4. PC cuts to a black screen after freezing and restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC cuts to a black screen after freezing and restarts: So I recently added new parts to my pc as an upgrade, everything was working fine until out of nowhere my pc began to cut to a black screen and restart out of nowhere, not even when its underload. This is the event ID:Kernel-Power 41The system has rebooted without cleanly...
  5. PC cuts to a black screen after freezing and restarts

PC cuts to a black screen after freezing and restarts: So I recently added new parts to my pc as an upgrade, everything was working fine until out of nowhere my pc began to cut to a black screen and restart out of nowhere, not even when its underload. This is the event ID:Kernel-Power 41The system has rebooted without cleanly...
  6. is w 365 required?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is w 365 required?: is microsoft 365 required for w11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-w-365-required/36a5d9c4-9da7-4f4a-a4aa-2f042e1be54d
  7. is w 365 required?

is w 365 required?: is microsoft 365 required for w11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-w-365-required/36a5d9c4-9da7-4f4a-a4aa-2f042e1be54d
  8. Sound cutting in and out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound cutting in and out: The sound on my pc is cutting and out for half a second every few seconds. This only happens when I have a video game open. Can someone give me an easy to understand solution to this problem? I have already gone in and updates all my drivers and have tried deleting and...
  9. Short Cuts in W 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Short Cuts in W 10: How do I create a shortcut to Control Panel? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/short-cuts-in-w-10/e1b06c67-3ccf-4397-82de-576d5af26629
  10. Black Screen on restart, no display signal!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen on restart, no display signal!: Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm having a nightmare trying to reinstall windows 10. I'll give a very brief description running up to this problem. Firstly I was using Windows7 and upgraded to windows 10 some time ago and everything worked, other than when it comes to...