Windows 10: Display does not turn off automatically in Windows 10 2004. How to troubleshoot?

Discus and support Display does not turn off automatically in Windows 10 2004. How to troubleshoot? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; After upgrading to Windows 10, version 2004, the screen on my desktop no longer turns off after a set period on inactivity. This worked just fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by verbbis, Sep 7, 2020.

1. verbbis Win User

Display does not turn off automatically in Windows 10 2004. How to troubleshoot?

After upgrading to Windows 10, version 2004, the screen on my desktop no longer turns off after a set period on inactivity. This worked just fine before.

It does not matter which power plan I've selected currently 'High Performance' - but this setting should not have any effect on the display turning off, nor the amount of delay I've the defined in the 'Power & sleep' settings.

If I set the whole computer to sleep, this works and the display is turned off as well. So there is no problem with the suspend/sleep itself. It is only the display turning off which does not work.

Executing this PowerShell script turns off the display, but it immediately turns back on:

# Turn display off by calling WindowsAPI.

# SendMessageHWND_BROADCAST,WM_SYSCOMMAND, SC_MONITORPOWER, POWER_OFF
    # HWND_BROADCAST 0xffff
    # WM_SYSCOMMAND 0x0112
    # SC_MONITORPOWER 0xf170
    # POWER_OFF 0x0002

Add-Type -TypeDefinition '
    using System;
    using System.Runtime.InteropServices;

namespace Utilities {
    public static class Display
    {
    [DllImport"user32.dll", CharSet = CharSet.Auto]
    private static extern IntPtr SendMessage
    IntPtr hWnd,
    UInt32 Msg,
    IntPtr wParam,
    IntPtr lParam
    ;

public static void PowerOff
    {
    SendMessage
    IntPtr0xffff, // HWND_BROADCAST
    0x0112, // WM_SYSCOMMAND
    IntPtr0xf170, // SC_MONITORPOWER
    IntPtr0x0002 // POWER_OFF
    ;
    }
    }
    }
    '

On Linux, running

xset dpms force off

works as expected and the display does not turn back on until activity, so it is not a hardware issue.

How do I troubleshoot this on Windows? How can I see which process turns on the display? The 'Power troubleshooter' is useless. And so is the 'powercfg' utility - as I cannot see anything related to the display specifically in it. As I describe above, 'sleep/suspend' works, 'turning off the display' does not. And yes, I have the latest drivers installed.

:)

verbbis, Sep 7, 2020

2. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Sep 7, 2020
  3. Mohan B P Win User
    Windows automatically turns on

Hi,

I realize that you are facing the issue with the power options in Windows 10, let me assist you.

As an initial step of troubleshooting, I suggest you to run the power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

The power troubleshooter can automatically detect and fix any incorrect power settings. Refer to these steps to run this troubleshooter:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar and click on
      Troubleshooting
    • Select the View all option on the left pane.
    • Click on Power troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue persists, try changing the Power button settings and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X key and select
      Power options
    • Click on Choose what the power button does in the left pane.
    • Select the appropriate option from the drop down menu and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Mohan B P, Sep 7, 2020
  4. Display does not turn off automatically in Windows 10 2004. How to troubleshoot?

Windows automatically turns on

Well, it doesn't work. I have to shut it down twice to work...

Rares Antoniu, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

Display does not turn off automatically in Windows 10 2004. How to troubleshoot?

1. Display does not turn off automatically in Windows 10 2004. How to troubleshoot? - Similar Threads - Display does turn

2. automatically turn extended display on or off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    automatically turn extended display on or off: My mom is having health problems and I moved back in to help take care of her.A couple times I've let her use my desktop instead of her slow laptop, which has two monitors of slightly different sizes.She is not very technically inclined, and keeps losing the mouse pointer...
  3. automatically turn extended display on or off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    automatically turn extended display on or off: My mom is having health problems and I moved back in to help take care of her.A couple times I've let her use my desktop instead of her slow laptop, which has two monitors of slightly different sizes.She is not very technically inclined, and keeps losing the mouse pointer...
  4. Display not turning off automatically at specified time

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Display not turning off automatically at specified time: Hi, I am on [Version 10.0.19042.867]. This has recently started. Dispay does not turn off at all. If I go to the Power and Sleep options and specify the time, it works for the session. But the setting goes off after restart. Has anybody faced a similar situation?...
  5. Display not turning off automatically at specified time

in Windows 10 Support
    Display not turning off automatically at specified time: Hi, I am on [Version 10.0.19042.867]. This has recently started. Dispay does not turn off at all. If I go to the Power and Sleep options and specify the time, it works for the session. But the setting goes off after restart. Has anybody faced a similar situation?...
  6. Windows 10 turns off and on automatically. Shows automatic repair screen but turns off...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 turns off and on automatically. Shows automatic repair screen but turns off...: My Windows 10 lenovo turns off and on automatically. First it shows 'preparing automatic repair' but turns off again before anything comes up. A few times Windows repair blue screen comes up but before I can pick any option it turns off again. At times i also manage to get...
  7. Windows 10 20H1, turn off the display does not work.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 20H1, turn off the display does not work.: Windows 10 20H1, turn off the display does not work. No matter how long 1 to 5 minutes vídeo does not turn off. Custom power plan , or default same problem, any help? [img] [img] [img] 151147
  8. How to turn on or off Recommended troubleshooting in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn on or off Recommended troubleshooting in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft has worked hard to add tons of inbuilt troubleshooting methods in Windows 10. There is one for almost one for every standard error in Windows 10. Going ahead with Windows 10 v1903, the team has added Recommended Troubleshooting. It [...] This post...
  9. Secondary monitor display turns off automatically

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary monitor display turns off automatically: I have a Dell laptop with 2 extra monitors. Everything has worked fine for a couple years and noticed about a month ago, I will be working along and everything looks up for about a second and my extra 2 displays go dark and anything on them has moved over to my laptop...
  10. Turn On or Off Automatic Recommended Troubleshooting in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Automatic Recommended Troubleshooting in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Automatic Recommended Troubleshooting in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Automatic Recommended Troubleshooting in Windows 10 If something isn't working in Windows 10, running a troubleshooter might help. Troubleshooters can find and fix many...