Windows 10: Display driver causing black screen

Discus and support Display driver causing black screen in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Dear helpful people, On the weekend I eagerly put together my new PC. Progressed through the windows 10 installation smoothly, and proceeded to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by DaBunneh, Jan 29, 2019.

1. DaBunneh Win User

Display driver causing black screen

Dear helpful people,

On the weekend I eagerly put together my new PC. Progressed through the windows 10 installation smoothly, and proceeded to install drivers for all of my hardware and periferals. During the process my screen went black, and I assumed it to be resetting after installing a video driver, as they do when shifting resolutions. So I left it two hours, and when I returned, it was the same. So I pressed the power button to initiate shut down, which went smoothly. Then restarted, which progressed passed POST, motherboard manufacturer's image loading screen, and then into the black void from whence it was moments before. Ok.

Through the last two days I have tested rigorously to discover a cause, and searched fruitlessly for a solution that would work for me.

The issue arrives the moment I install a display driver, regardless of if it is a display driver for my onboard graphics, or my gpu. It happens regardless if I use my motherboard's disk, drivers downloaded from manufactuerer websites, or through the windows update utility. It is an easily repeatable occurance.

My system specifications are as follows.

Windows 10 home edition
    MPB Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard
    Intel i7 9700k
    32gb Corsair Vengence ram
    Nvidia RTX 2070 Graphics Card
    2x WD Black 6tb 3.5" HDs
    2x Samsung 970 EVO V-NAND M.2 1TB SSDs
    Asus PB287Q 28" Monitor

So far I have tried:

Installing on m.2 SSD
    Installing on 3.5" HD
    Installing on HDs in RAID
    Windows key + P fix
    Installing graphics drivers from the internet, CD and Windows update utility
    Cable checks,
    Alternate Display Ports on both GPU and Motherboard

The system runs stably without installing a display driver. I am posting this message from chrome installed on it. But obviously, to use as a gaming rig, no display driver is kind of a killer.

Thank you for your time and advice in advance, I am struggling to understand what I can do.

:)

DaBunneh, Jan 29, 2019

2. Black screen cause by the driver in Windows 10.

Hello Rares,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Did you check if similar issue persist in Safe mode?

• Does the issue occur randomly or when you run a particular application?

I suggest you to update the display drivers manually by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager.

• Expand Display Adapter option.

• Right click on the graphics display driver and select
      Update option.

• Restart the computer and check if the changes are effective.

Also download and install the latest display driver from the manufacturer website to check if the issue is resolved.

Refer to the suggestion by Sharath Srinivasa from the link below and check if it helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/black-screen-after-upgrading-to-windows-10/cf3b4559-67d8-40e0-9cf2-ebf4528e1e78?auth=1

Write back to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jan 29, 2019
  3. Issue with black screen, dual display, ATI Integrated GPU

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to go to device manager and disable the display drivers, check whether the issue persists or not.

• Press Windows + X keys and click
      Device manager.
    • Click to expand Display adapters, right click the second adapter and click
      Disable.
    • Restart the computer and check whether the issue persists or not.
    • Repeat the same steps to disable the first display adapter and check if it helps.

If you find the issue is with anyone of the display adapters then, I suggest you to update the display drivers from the manufactures website for Windows 10 and check if it helps.

Method 2: I suggest you to follow the steps form the below article for
    “Black Screen” issues and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Jan 29, 2019
  4. Maria Fab Win User

Black Dots appears on screen

Hello Kushal,

Black screen errors can be caused by issues with the display adapter drivers, connection issues between with your PC or display, or during installation of operating system or updates.

For resolution, we suggest that you follow our guided walk-through to resolve black screen errors. See
    Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors. Choose the error you're experiencing from the list,
    and a set of troubleshooting steps will be provided.

Please update us with the results. We will be glad to assist you.

Maria Fab, Jan 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Display driver causing black screen - Similar Threads - Display driver causing

2. Driver error causing black screen on PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Driver error causing black screen on PC: I had a driver power failure blue screen and it was stuck at 0 percent and it wasn't doing anything so I pressed the power button to turn it off and when I turned it on it is not booting up. Is there any way to solve this?...
  3. Driver error causing black screen on PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Driver error causing black screen on PC: I had a driver power failure blue screen and it was stuck at 0 percent and it wasn't doing anything so I pressed the power button to turn it off and when I turned it on it is not booting up. Is there any way to solve this?...
  4. Updated display drivers now black screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Updated display drivers now black screen: I need help! When I was in device manager, the display had an exclamation point beside it so I updated the drivers. When the computer rebooted, I see the Dell logo and the spinning white circle. The screen then goes black then another spinning circle then black screen again....
  5. Graphic Driver causes black screen

Graphic Driver causes black screen: Hi there, I hope you are doing well ^^! So, i'm facing a serious trouble with my new graphic card "GTX 760" and i hope you could help me guys, First, check out my PC config => Config : - Mobo : MSI Z87M Gaming - Cpu: Intel Core i5 4éme Gen 4460 / 3.2 Ghz OC: 3.5 Ghz - Ram :...
  6. Display adapter driver causes screen to go black after Windows loading screen

Display adapter driver causes screen to go black after Windows loading screen: I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 display adapter and Mobile IntelR 4 Series Express Chipset Family Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1 chipset driver. The screen go black after the Windows loading screen. I went into safe mode and disabled the display adapter driver to see...
  7. Screen flashing caused by display driver

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen flashing caused by display driver: Laptop screen is flashing, I searched for the solution online and it said that I have to open Task Manager to see if it flickers along or not, if it doesn't it might be caused by other applications, but if it does it might be caused by the display driver. So I opened the Task...
  8. display driver black screen problem

display driver black screen problem: hello microsoft , i am suffering from my display adapter problem . when my display driver is updated it causes black screen between the installation . I had tried everything from reinstalling to updating windows 7 to windows 10 pro but my problem is not solved . if i will...
  9. Black Screen Caused by display driver Intel hd graphics

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen Caused by display driver Intel hd graphics: Hi I have upgraded from windows 7 to 10 in the last week and ever since I get a black screen before the login page. I have figured out a work around for this which is when I see the black screen I press the function button and f3 at the same time to put my laptop in...
  10. Installing AMD drivers caused the black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installing AMD drivers caused the black screen: I have installed Windows 10 and then my laptop tried to install AMD display drivers. But rebooting the laptop resulted in a black screen. I performed some troubleshooting steps like deleting Windows automatic updates and updating graphic card drivers. But I still get the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. display drivers are causing black screen and crashes