Windows 10: Display Drivers Failing to Start

Discus and support Display Drivers Failing to Start in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This has been going on for the past week. After I turn on my pc my screens will go black and I have to turn it off and on by the tower. Sometimes it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by afatkinson, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Display Drivers Failing to Start

This has been going on for the past week. After I turn on my pc my screens will go black and I have to turn it off and on by the tower. Sometimes it will happen after a minute and sometimes after a few hours.

I have tried many solutions that I have seen online. I put my pc in safe mode and Uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, updated my windows and graphics card, I also reverted back to an older update for the graphics card. I don't know what else to try or what the problem is because even when I Uninstalled the drivers in safe mode it still failed to start before I even updated them out of safe mode.

If anyone has anything else for me to try please let me know!

:)

afatkinson, Jul 27, 2020
  2. ramaraiga Win User

display driver failed to start

Step 1: Open Device Manager by right-clicking on the Start menu button and then clicking Device Manager.

display driver failed to start error in Windows 10 pic01

Step 2: Once the Device Manager is opened, expand Display Adapters, right-click on your on-board or dedicated graphics card entry, and then click Update Driver Software. This will open Update Software Wizard.

display driver failed to start error in Windows 10 pic1

Step 3: Click the first option named Search automatically for updated driver software to let Windows 10 automatically search for driver updates and install the same, if available.

display driver failed to start error in Windows 10 pic2

display driver failed to start error in Windows 10 pic3

Once installed, you will see “Windows has successfully updated your driver software” message. If updates are not available, you will see “No updates were found” message.
    Pat testing

Please note that updating to the newest version of the display driver might not fix the issue in some cases. In other words, you might see the error even when you are running the latest version of the display driver. If updating the driver didn’t help,
    please try the following solutions.

ramaraiga, Jul 27, 2020
  3. Display driver not supporting and device manager not showing Display adapter option

Hi Maheen,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Incorrect settings.
    • Corrupt or outdated display driver.
    Try the steps listed here and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to download and install all the available Windows Updates including Optional Updates. Check if it helps.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, i suggest you to uninstall and re-install latest display driver from the computer manufacturer website and check if it helps.

Step 1: Uninstall display driver.

• Right-click on the Start Button and click on
      Device manager.
    • Double-click on Display Adapters to expand.
    • Right-click on the display adapter driver that is listed and select properties.
    • In the window opened, click on drivers tab.
    • In the drivers tab, Click on Uninstall option.
    Now restart your computer and check, if the problem persists try step 2.

Step 2:

Re-install display driver from the manufacturer website.

Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you need further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Jul 27, 2020
  4. Display Drivers Failing to Start

Display driver failed to start

Hello Felix,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We do understand your concern and we will be happy to help you regarding this.

I request you to try the following steps:

Uninstall and Reinstall the Graphics Card Drivers.

Step 1: Uninstall the Graphics Card
    Drivers

• Right click on the Start menu.

• Click on “Device Manager” from that list.

• Search for the Graphics Card
      from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then remove the corrupted drivers
      from the computer.

• Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and then restart the computer if prompted.
    After the restart, please go ahead with the next steps to install the latest drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Step 2: Go to the Computer or Graphics Card
    manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the
    Graphics Card model and then install it by following the instructions given in the website.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

Display Drivers Failing to Start

1. Display Drivers Failing to Start - Similar Threads - Display Drivers Failing

2. Display driver failed to start

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display driver failed to start: My laptop notified me that my display driver failed to start and ever since then, the screen goes black for a while when i click the 'start icon' and when there's notifications. When i click the 'speaker' and 'search bar' it goes black too but it restarts. I noticed that my...
  3. Display driver fails to start

Display driver fails to start: after installing a new graphics driver my monitor goes off while playing games. Windows notification says "Display driver failed to start". Only restarting seems to fix it. I've tried clean reinstalling the driver , uninstalling my graphics card and even cleaned my GPU, since...
  4. Display driver fail to start.

Display driver fail to start.: Hello sir/madam, I have Dell Inspiron 15, Windows 10, 64Bit. After 1 or 2 hour my laptop screen totally black and I cannot even shut down my laptop, then I shutdown my laptop throw power switch, when i open it shows that display driver fail to start, and check update but i...
  5. Display Driver Failed to Start

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Display Driver Failed to Start: I've been having this issue with my Lenovo Flex 11 laptop for the past week in which my screen goes dark and flashes back to whatever web browser, etc. I have open. Eventually the screen goes dark again and all inputs become unresponsive (can't click anything with cursor,...
  6. display driver failed to start

display driver failed to start: Display driver failed to start mmc snap in fail https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-driver-failed-to-start/d1eb18e3-450b-4862-9e1a-1e9bcd5fc2a7
  7. display driver failed to start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    display driver failed to start: Hi, I bought my laptop in June this year 2019, it is Lg gram. I have been having this issue for a while, LG says it is not the computer problem, it is a window issue. they recommended me to reinstall display driver, and it seemed to work for few days, and it started...
  8. Display driver failed to start

Display driver failed to start: Display driver failed to start https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-driver-failed-to-start/895075cc-55f3-4536-8e34-e4f6278c2a1b
  9. DISPLAY DRIVER FAILED TO START

DISPLAY DRIVER FAILED TO START: There is a message on the notification section of my system notifying me that "Display driver failed to start". The message goes on to explain that "Display driver failed to start; Using Microsoft Basic Display Driver Instead. Check Windows Update for a newer display...
  10. Display driver failed to start

Display driver failed to start: Hi I have a GTX 1080 MSI gaming X. I have been getting problems since a couple of months ago. So, every so often I open a game and sometimes even if I don't open a game I get a black screen, the monitor disconnects and I hear the windows disconnect sound. The report I...