Windows 10: Display full path for special folders

Discus and support Display full path for special folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I recently migrated to Win10 Home Edition x64 from Win7. One thing that is absolutely maddening to me is the inability of seeing the full path... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Enorah, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Enorah Win User

Display full path for special folders

Hi,

I recently migrated to Win10 Home Edition x64 from Win7. One thing that is absolutely maddening to me is the inability of seeing the full path in the navigation bar for special folders like "Downloads", "Desktop", "Images" and many more where just their names are displayed in the navigation bar.

Display full path for special folders [​IMG]

However in Win7, clicking on that name instantly displayed and selected the full path (eg: D:\User\Downloads and not just Downloads). This is what I want to get back!

I like to have a few of these folders in the quick access area (Favorites in Win7). I tried deleting Downloads from the quick access and navigating to it by clicking-opening folders instead of just clicking on its link. When I do it this way, the path is correctly displayed (see previous pic). But if I pin it to the quick access, and then click on that link, it immediately reverts to only "Downloads".

This is stupid, I want to be able to know at all times where I am (I have 2 separate physical drives), and be able to copy the path to paste it in another program for example.

I haven't been able to find a solution so far ("Displaying full path in title bar" doesn't work for these special folders and is pointless since other folders already have their full path displayed in the navigation bar), please help!

:)

Enorah, Jul 17, 2017

2. File explorer not displaying complete path for certain folders on Windows 10.

Original Title: How to make Windows Explorer display the full folder path for copy/paste

To quickly get the full path to a file in previous Windows versions, you could browse to it in Windows Explorer, then copy the path from the text box near the top of the screen. You could paste that path into whatever application you were using to quickly
    browse to the same spot.

In Windows 10, this still works, but only some of the time. For example, if you browse to a folder in your Dropbox, it will work fine. But if you browse to your "Downloads" folder, where earlier Windows versions might have displayed: c:\users\john\downloads,
    Windows 10 just says "Downloads", which is useless as a path to a file.

Is there a setting to revert this behaviour to displaying a full file path?

W

askdfhcmgsoidf, Jul 17, 2017
  3. File explorer not displaying complete path for certain folders on Windows 10.

Hi,

It is by design, the path for downloads does not show the full path in Windows 10, it just shows downloads. You will have to create a new folder and save downloads, then go to
    view > folder options > Change folder and search
    options > click on View > Click on the option to display the full path in the title bar.

Write to us for further assistance on File explorer not displaying complete folder path on the computer. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 17, 2017
  4. pbcopter Win User

If you go to View on the Ribbon display and then select Options/Change folder and search options/then View
    Here, check Display the full path in the title bar.

It will then show as below.

pbcopter, Jul 18, 2017
  5. Enorah Win User
    Hi pbcopter,

thanks for the quick answer! Unfortunately I had already tried this tip (see last part of my lengthy post). On my computer it does work for the other folders, but not for the special ones... Just in case: my Win10 Home Edition x64 build is 1607 and there are no more updates available. Do you have the same version?

I tried it again because you never know, but the result was the same: no full path for special folders. (Windows is in French here but I can assure you it's the exact same option you mentioned Display full path for special folders ;) )

Enorah, Jul 18, 2017
  6. pbcopter Win User
    I am using Windows 10 Pro version 1703 15063.483, know as the Creators Update. As you can see from my screen shot, that it displays the full path to the "special folders"
    correctly on the title bar, desktop, downloads, etc. I don't know why yours is not showing the same.

pbcopter, Jul 18, 2017
  7. Enorah Win User
    That may be why then... Windows asked me to review a few privacy settings saying that it would in the near future update to the Creator's update. I guess they fixed it there, I'll wait until the update comes through and update the post here.

Enorah, Jul 18, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Hasn't fixed it for me. I have creators update and it is the same as you.

It isn't clear from the screenshot but perhaps @pbcopter browsed to C:\Users\Paul\Downloads?

If I do that it shows the path but not if I open it from Quick Access or from under This PC

9. Edwin New Member
    The Title Bar will only show the 'breadcrumb trail' if invoked from the User folder, the rest are just links attributed to 'This PC'.

Edwin, Jul 18, 2017
  10. pbcopter Win User
    @Ix07, you are correct, I rarely use the quick access and the full path to the special folders in the title bar does not seem to work when you go from there. Thanks for posting.

Paul
    PS: My fathers is from Hungary. Came here when he was 3 months old.

pbcopter, Jul 18, 2017
  11. Enorah Win User
    @lx07 Right, good thinking!

@Edwin Are you saying that there's no way to tell Windows that the folder pinned to Quick access is the real physical folder and not the virtual one/link?

Enorah, Jul 18, 2017
  12. lx07 Win User
    You can identify (and change) what actual folder the link refers to by right click > Properties and look on the Location tab if that is what you mean.

13. Enorah Win User

Yep, that's what I already did since they originally all pointed to C: which is my small SSD.

I guess I'll just have to deal with this annoying fact for now, until someone finds a workaround or they actually fix this in an update...

Enorah, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Display full path for special folders - Similar Threads - Display full path

2. Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path: In explorer, if I search for something, say "Fallout4*.ini" in my Steam library, my search results in Details view look like this:NameDate modifiedType SizeFolderFallout4_Default.ini13/10/2021 15:05Configuration settings3 KBFallout 4...
  3. Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path: In explorer, if I search for something, say "Fallout4*.ini" in my Steam library, my search results in Details view look like this:NameDate modifiedType SizeFolderFallout4_Default.ini13/10/2021 15:05Configuration settings3 KBFallout 4...
  4. Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows Explorer will not display the full path in the title bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer will not display the full path in the title bar: In Windows Explorer, when I choose Downloads from the left column, I want this to appear in the title bar:C:\Users\MyUser\DownloadsWhat I currently see is either just the word Downloads or the phrase "My PC > Downloads"It does not work to check the box in View Options that...
  6. Windows Explorer will not display the full path in the title bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer will not display the full path in the title bar: In Windows Explorer, when I choose Downloads from the left column, I want this to appear in the title bar:C:\Users\MyUser\DownloadsWhat I currently see is either just the word Downloads or the phrase "My PC > Downloads"It does not work to check the box in View Options that...
  7. We need a way to display full file path in windows folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    We need a way to display full file path in windows folder: We need a way to display the full file path in the windows folder **** was that changed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/we-need-a-way-to-display-full-file-path-in-windows/8e9fe8fc-f6de-41d4-9afc-e1d7fbb2b22b
  8. ny way to display the full path for certain folders (documents, etc)?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ny way to display the full path for certain folders (documents, etc)?: Hi I noticed that File Explorer doesn't show the full path in the title bar (after I enabled this) for certain folders such as Documents, Downloads...that you select in the navigation pane. It shows fine if I navigate to the same folder though. Any way to show the path for...
  9. Any way to display the full path for certain folders (documents, etc)?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to display the full path for certain folders (documents, etc)?: Hi I noticed that File Explorer doesn't show the full path in the title bar (after I enabled this) for certain folders such as Documents, Downloads...that you select in the navigation pane. It shows fine if I navigate to the same folder though. Any way to show the path for...
  10. How to make shortcuts open to full folder path and not libraries path?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make shortcuts open to full folder path and not libraries path?: Hi, I have an issue where if I make shortcuts to specific folders located inside my User folder (Pictures, Videos, Documents, etc), I have an issue where the shortcuts (even on Quick Access) open up to a smart folder where the filepath is something like This PC/Desktop...