Windows 10: Display Gamma/Contrast Changes When Tabbing Out From Game

Discus and support Display Gamma/Contrast Changes When Tabbing Out From Game in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi! This is a recent-ish issue and I haven't been able to nail down what's causing it or how to prevent it really (beyond not alt-tabbing, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Absoguar, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Absoguar Win User

Display Gamma/Contrast Changes When Tabbing Out From Game

Hi!

This is a recent-ish issue and I haven't been able to nail down what's causing it or how to prevent it really (beyond not alt-tabbing, but that's too much of a convenience).

Whenever I play a full screen game (I make use of borderless windows whenever possible), tabbing out results in the display contrast getting a lot sharper for lack of a better word. Website with a blue hue in the background will now look almost completely black. Launching other games makes them nearly unplayable since all the colours are so sharp. The only way to go around this is to restart the PC but it's frustrating when this can happen multiple times in a day.

Is anyone familiar with this issue and maybe how to prevent it? I've considered that using flux might be adding to the issue but I've been using it for years now and this has only become a problem very recently.

:)

Absoguar, Feb 13, 2018

2. Windows 10 Display Advanced Settings - calibrate colour and brightness

I found some limited calibration tools via the Settings > Display > Display Adapter Properties link. That opened the Properties link to my graphic card, and there is a Color Management tab, hit the button, select the Advanced tab, and the Calibrate Display
    is further down. This may depend on your graphics card. My settings only allowed changes to the Gamma, which is fine for me, but did not allow changes to Brightness and Contrast, but they were OK anyway. Thanks for the pointers.

jcarr73729, Feb 13, 2018
  3. Gamma settings resetting to factory Default when alt tabbing during game play sessions.

All the games I play are windows 10 compatible and the gamma issue happens with them all, my computer is a custom built PC running an Nvidia GTX 980 and I haven't found any notification window about auto resetting my gamma.

What I had to do on Windows 7 was go into the file that saves my Gamma settings and change it to read only in order to get this problem to fix on that OS the only problem is I don't know what the file name is for the profile settings on 10 so I can try the
    same thing with that.

Okay so I went into 4 other games that I know are fully windows 10 compatible one being Dragon Age Inquisition which is the only DX12 game on the market. And I cannot change my gamma settings in game at all, I can move the sliders up and down and the setting
    just doesn't change, if I alt tab out of the game I can see the gamma revert to factory default brightness and I have to open Nvidia control panel switch between Windows and Nvidia to bring it back, (both profiles have the same gamma setting).

So I do not know what is causing this issue because I even reinstalled the videodrivers to rule that out and the issue still happens when I run anything in fullscreen mode

DavidSischo, Feb 13, 2018
Thema:

Display Gamma/Contrast Changes When Tabbing Out From Game

1. Display Gamma/Contrast Changes When Tabbing Out From Game - Similar Threads - Display Gamma Contrast

2. Can't tab out when I'm in a game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't tab out when I'm in a game: So, since friday, I can't tab out a game. ALT+TAB, Windows key doesn't work. When I close the game, 30sec later it works again. I try looking on the internet and nothing works. I try to contact Geek Squad and they told me they had a customer with the same problem today and...
  3. Can't tab out when I'm in a game

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't tab out when I'm in a game: So, since friday, I can't tab out a game. ALT+TAB, Windows key doesn't work. When I close the game, 30sec later it works again. I try looking on the internet and nothing works. I try to contact Geek Squad and they told me they had a customer with the same problem today and...
  4. Laptop display color periodically changes contrast when on battery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop display color periodically changes contrast when on battery: The laptop's display maintains constant brightness and contrast when connected to power, but when unplugged, starts to shift.The shift takes about 10 seconds, happens every 5 minutes or so, and makes the display colors looks lighter, faded and slightly darker.The display...
  5. Laptop display color periodically changes contrast when on battery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop display color periodically changes contrast when on battery: The laptop's display maintains constant brightness and contrast when connected to power, but when unplugged, starts to shift.The shift takes about 10 seconds, happens every 5 minutes or so, and makes the display colors looks lighter and faded.The display brightness option...
  6. Laptop display color periodically changes contrast when on battery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop display color periodically changes contrast when on battery: The laptop's display maintains constant brightness and contrast when connected to power, but when unplugged, starts to shift.The shift takes about 10 seconds, happens every 5 minutes or so, and makes the display colors looks lighter and faded.The display brightness option...
  7. Brightness/Gamma/Contrast too high/too low

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Brightness/Gamma/Contrast too high/too low: Greetings.A couple of months ago my monitor seemed too bright to my liking, and since the brightness slider on the monitor itself wasn't enough. After a little bit of searching I found out about the "calibrate display color" software on Windows. Ever since I have tampered...
  8. Display Contrast

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display Contrast: I know how to change the brightness on my screen, but I still have a hard time reading the text because of the contrast. How do we change the contrast so I can read better?...
  9. MMO's brightness, contrast and gamma sliders won't move

in Windows 10 Customization
    MMO's brightness, contrast and gamma sliders won't move: I haven't used my graphics sliders in lotro for a while, and when I tried last week, they won't move. Other graphics sliders work. I went to the game's community and folks claimed an MS update caused the problem on some computers, an update coming out last year. However,...
  10. get out of high contrast mode for display

in Windows 10 Customization
    get out of high contrast mode for display: I just switched to a high contrast display to make reading screen easier pressing together the left shift left alt and prtsc keys. One of the forum threads says this sequence is a kind of toggle so that doing it again turns off high contrast. Didn't for me. Instead, it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. game brightness changes when alt tabbing

2. tabbing out of scum and game does weird color change