Windows 10: Display goes blank when updating driver

Discus and support Display goes blank when updating driver in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi! I have a Dell XPS 13. For the past month my display has been going blank when it runs on Intel Iris graphics driver, but has been working with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SurabhiNadig, May 21, 2020.

1. Display goes blank when updating driver

Hi!

I have a Dell XPS 13. For the past month my display has been going blank when it runs on Intel Iris graphics driver, but has been working with a Windows basic Display Adapter. I have tried reinstalling OS, downloaded driver from Dell Support assist and directly from Intel too. As soon as I update the driver every time the display goes blank.

Can someone please help solve this issues?

Best,
    S

:)

SurabhiNadig, May 21, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

FIX SCREEN SO IT DOESN'T GO BLANK

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the computer screen goes blank after sometime, I’ll certainly assist you with this.

However, please let us know:

• Do you see any error message on the screen when the computer screen goes blank?
    • When you say “I need to fix it so that doesn't happen” how are you fixing the screen?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

Meanwhile, you may want to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

If you are using a Desktop, then the first thing I would suggest you to do is check if the cables are connected properly.

Method 1: Refresh Graphics driver

I suggest you to try refreshing the graphics driver by using the key sequence
    Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B and see if that helps.

Method 2: Update graphics driver

I suggest you to try updating the graphics card driver and see if that helps. To do this, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows logo key + X, and select
      Device Manager.
    2. Expand Display adapters.
    3. Right click on the display driver and select
      Update Driver
    4. Restart the computer.

Article for reference: Update drivers in Windows 10.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 21, 2020
  3. Windows update reverted display to MS Basic Display Driver

Hi,

Normally, this issue occurs when the drivers were being corrupted or updated after the recent update. Since you've already tried to install the latest driver, we suggest that you roll back to the previous driver and check if it helps to resolve the issue. To
    do this, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open Device Manager.
    • Double-click the device for which you want to roll back to the previous version of the driver, and then click
      Properties.
    • Under the Driver tab, select Roll Back Driver.
    • Select OK.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Eileen Gal, May 21, 2020
  4. Jay Jap Win User

Display goes blank when updating driver

Monitor goes blank for a couple of seconds

Hello John,

It is possible that the driver for your display adapter was updated when you received a Windows update. To assist you with your concern, let's perform these troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue:

Step 1: Run the troubleshooter to fix common hardware issue:

• Press the Windows key on your keyboard and type
      Troubleshoot.
    • Choose Troubleshoot in the results.
    • Under Find and fix other problems highlight
      Hardware and Devices then click
      Run the troubleshooter.

Step 2: If the issue still persists, try to uninstall the driver and reboot the computer to reinstall it. Here's how to uninstall your display adapter driver.

• Right click on the Windows/Start button and choose Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right-click the driver and click Uninstall.
    • Reboot computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Jay Jap, May 21, 2020
Thema:

Display goes blank when updating driver

1. Display goes blank when updating driver - Similar Threads - Display goes blank

2. computer starts as normal then display goes blank.

in Windows 10 Customization
    computer starts as normal then display goes blank.: Hi all,This is a tricky one, start pc and display is normal until windows has loaded then the display goes blank. I can use start up optionsto start in a lower resolution and then when I get to the desktop I can increase the resolution and all is well.The only way I can get...
  3. computer starts as normal then display goes blank.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer starts as normal then display goes blank.: Hi all,This is a tricky one, start pc and display is normal until windows has loaded then the display goes blank. I can use start up optionsto start in a lower resolution and then when I get to the desktop I can increase the resolution and all is well.The only way I can get...
  4. computer starts as normal then display goes blank.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. display goes blank

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    display goes blank: display screen went blank dark black this has happened before not too often again didnt do nothing for it to happen seems random i pressed the edit button on this site and then screen went blank whats all the things to do and check to see why it's like that maybe graphics...
  6. Laptop Display goes blank every time after Windows 10 is updated.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop Display goes blank every time after Windows 10 is updated.: Problem: Windows 10 OS on my laptop gets updated at night during inactive hours and in morning when I open the laptop lid I see a blank screen !! There is no power issue as I can see back led lights on near the edges of the screen. When I connect a display to the HDMI...
  7. Display goes blank on boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Display goes blank on boot: The display on my Notebook Asus N55S with Nvidia Geforce GT 635M will flicker and goes off on booting, even no application has been executed. The operating system is Windows 10 Home version. How can I resolve this?...
  8. Computer display goes blank/black when logging on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer display goes blank/black when logging on: Hi, I have an Acer Aspire TC-710 desktop computer running Windows 10 Home, Version 1903 IS Build 18362.720. I have an intermittent issue with my computer where the computer will lockup when I logon/switch profile. By locking up I mean, I will get a black screen that...
  9. Display problems; display jumps around and sometimes goes blank or black

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Display problems; display jumps around and sometimes goes blank or black: Have updated my bios, firmware, and drivers through Dell support and still have the problem. Also went to Intel and updated my graphics driver. Computer 5 years old. Called Microsoft for help and since there was an issue with logging into Windows with a password (went to pin...
  10. Screen Goes Black When Installing AMD Display Driver

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen Goes Black When Installing AMD Display Driver: When installing the AMD display diver my screen becomes black. My computer does do anything and I have to manually turn it off and turn it on again. When this happens and my computer boots up again the driver is not installed. I ran DDU before I tried installing the driver....