Windows 10: display has black screen with cursor on boot up

Discus and support display has black screen with cursor on boot up in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I boot up my Dell Inspiron Desktop, the display works fine on initial start up, but goes to black screen when loading up. It only displays the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JanetBerg, Feb 3, 2020.

1. JanetBerg Win User

display has black screen with cursor on boot up

When I boot up my Dell Inspiron Desktop, the display works fine on initial start up, but goes to black screen when loading up. It only displays the cursor. I have to shut it off, then power it back up with a restart in order for the display to work. Everything else works fine after the reboot.

:)

JanetBerg, Feb 3, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Installation black screen on reboot, no cursor

Hi, there's a huge amount of material on this if you search for 'Windows 10 boot to black screen' e.g.
    Problem: After installation Windows 10 boot into black screen with cursor!

Possible causes include:
    - problem with display driver (including needing to use an earlier version e.g. AMD Catalyst)
    - having an installed program (in Win 7) that conflicts with the upgrade
    - the 'two monitor/display' scenario described in the above

I'd suggest doing a bit of research and describing what you've tried of the various solutions and approaches widely documented.

My first attempt to upgrade failed with somewhat similar symptoms- this was because I had a certain program installed.
    Note that some recommend uninstalling your AV before upgrading.

Hopefully you made a disk image of your Win 7 before starting the upgrade. Good luck

dalchina, Feb 3, 2020
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Black screen after 'Starting Windows' sequence

Sounds like the old... windows black screen of death.

Try this quoted from "VisiHow" article "Repair Windows 7 Black Screen of Death":

They, also, have some other options there, too.
    Google search and you will find a lot of the "Windows Black Screen of Death with cursor" fixes.

95Viper, Feb 3, 2020
  4. BetsyCole Win User

Black screen with flashing cursor

Two weeks ago I had to delete and reload Windows 10. A few days ago my screen suddenly went black with the blinking cursor in the top left hand corner.

I can only do a hard reboot, and when I do, on my screen I briefly get the Dell logo with
    F2 Set Up / F12 Boot Options in the lower right corner. Then it quickly reverts to a black screen with blinking cursor. Pressing either of the F2 /F12 keys has no effect.

I have attempted to do a hard boot 3 & 4 times in succession but it always comes back to the black screen with blinking cursor.

No sticky key combinations that I have seen mentioned on the Community page work at all. I'm stuck on the black screen with cursor.

Any suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BetsyCole, Feb 3, 2020
Thema:

1. display has black screen with cursor on boot up - Similar Threads - display has black

2. Computer boots up to a black screen with a cursor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer boots up to a black screen with a cursor.: Every time I boot up my computer normally it goes to the welcome screen but after typing in my password the screen is black and i can only see my cursor. I have tried everything but nothing works. I think it's because of the latest update because every time it installs again...
  3. Computer boots up to a black screen with a cursor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer boots up to a black screen with a cursor.: Every time I boot up my computer normally it goes to the welcome screen but after typing in my password the screen is black and i can only see my cursor. I have tried everything but nothing works. I think it's because of the latest update because every time it installs again...
  4. Computer boots up to a black screen with a cursor.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Black Screen with Cursor after Windows Boot Up Screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black Screen with Cursor after Windows Boot Up Screen: Hello today I was using my computer today and when I restarted it the screen goes black and has a cursor after the windows boot screen. I've tried to get into task manager, but it wont show up. I tried pressing control alt delete and nothing shows up. Going to the BIOS screen...
  6. PC boots up into a black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC boots up into a black screen with cursor: I recently began having problems booting up. The pc starts up on a black screen where nothing works except win+p. I also got another error saying that the boot partition is missing. Is there a way of fixing this without losing any data?...
  7. Lenovo Y720 only displays a black screen and a mouse cursor after booting up

Lenovo Y720 only displays a black screen and a mouse cursor after booting up: Today, when I got home, I booted up my Laptop (Lenovo Y720). When it got past the log in, All i saw was a black screen and a small cmd window displaying "windows 32". I managed to fix this by going into my task manager, clicking on file, clicking "run a new task" and then...
  8. Windows 10 not booting up - Black screen with cursor

Windows 10 not booting up - Black screen with cursor: I shut down my laptop properly - no hard boot - and the next time I turned it on, I got a black screen with the cursor. I have tried a bunch of things but to no avail. I don't have any peripherals attached. Everything was working fine until the last shut down, all...
  9. Booting to black screen with cursor

Booting to black screen with cursor: Hello and thank you all for any help or ideas. In general, on startup my computer is 'scanning and repairing' drives, then booting into a black screen with cursor. I don't have a pc easily available to install usb boot programs but have tried a couple thus far. Refreshing or...
  10. Windows boots to black screen, no cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boots to black screen, no cursor: Windows 10 Prof x64 Sager Laptop, i7 NVidia 980M<br /><br /> This morning I resumed my computer back from sleep and different programs started hanging. So, I decided to restart. I restarted my computer and it stayed on the restart screen for ages, like 30 minutes. So I...