Windows 10: Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA

Discus and support Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; OK, I've spent a lot of time on computers over the years but I never looked into display interfaces until I had to figure out how to connect a second... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Sidecar Bob, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA

OK, I've spent a lot of time on computers over the years but I never looked into display interfaces until I had to figure out how to connect a second display to a computer with only 1 VGA port and no room for a video card for a project my wife is involved in. I believe the DisplayPort to VGA adapter I have ordered will solve that but it has started me thinking about my own system: I have a Lenovo M58P with a Dell E2314Hf 23" monitor (I occasionally work with graphics for my Shirt Shop ). Not knowing any better, I connected them with the VGA cable that came with the monitor but I have never been truly happy with the display.

The computer has a DisplayPort and a VGA port. The monitor has a DVI-D dual link port and a VGA. Would I be better off to keep using the VGA or to get a DisplayPort to DVI-D cable?

:)

Sidecar Bob, Nov 21, 2020

2. Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA

OK, I've spent a lot of time on computers over the years but I never looked into display interfaces until I had to figure out how to connect a second display to a computer with only 1 VGA port and no room for a video card for a project my wife is involved in. I believe the DisplayPort to VGA adapter I have ordered will solve that but it has started me thinking about my own system: I have a Lenovo M58P with a Dell E2314Hf 23" monitor (I occasionally work with graphics for my Shirt Shop ). Not knowing any better, I connected them with the VGA cable that came with the monitor but I have never been truly happy with the display.

The computer has a DisplayPort and a VGA port. The monitor has a DVI-D dual link port and a VGA. Would I be better off to keep using the VGA or to get a DisplayPort to DVI-D cable?

3. Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA

VGA is an analog video standard. Any of the digital display types (HDMI, DisplayPort, the DVI-D) should give you better results, even at the same resolution.

hsehestedt, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA

Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA

Thanks.

Since VGA monitors had sharper resolution than the ones with RCA inputs (remember those TV studio quality JVC video monitors re-branded as Commodore?) and I knew the ones with RCAs were analogue I thought that VGA was digital until today. You learn something old every day ;-)
    When I learned that DP, DVI and HDMI were all digital and VGA was analogue this afternoon I knew that any of the digital standards would be better but I wasn't sure if adapting between standards would make the result less good than VGA.

After I read your replies I remembered that the other M58P I have is connected to a 43" TV with a VGA cable. That TV has HDMI inputs as well as the VGA; Is it safe to assume that a DP to HDMI cable would be better there?

I hope so because I just ordered the DP to DVI and DP to HDMI cables...

Thema:

Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA

1. Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA - Similar Threads - Display interface question

2. Graphics card for dual display - 1GB HDMI & DVI vs 2GB HDMI & VGA?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Graphics card for dual display - 1GB HDMI & DVI vs 2GB HDMI & VGA?: Hello I have 2 Asus monitors with HDMI / DVI / VGA input. They are not 4K and are not used for any gaming or video editing. Only used for email, word, spreadsheets, web surfing etc. I have 2 older display cards and would like to get some opinions on what to use. In my PC:...
  3. Win 10 wont boot with DVI-VGA adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 wont boot with DVI-VGA adapter: Hi, My pc is connected to my monitor via DVI-VGA adapter, I've had win 7 on my pc for 5 years, everything worked perfectly with it, today i got my pc from repair shop with win10 installed and when i connect it it shows win10 loading screen and than black. I tried connecting...
  4. Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA

in Windows 10 Support
    Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA: OK, I've spent a lot of time on computers over the years but I never looked into display interfaces until I had to figure out how to connect a second display to a computer with only 1 VGA port and no room for a video card for a project my wife is involved in. I believe the...
  5. use of VGA to DVI adapter

use of VGA to DVI adapter: Hi, My graphics card (Radeon 9800XT) has both a VGA and a DVI connector. I have a VGA to DVI adapter that I could use to connect the VGA connector from my monitor to the DVI port of the card. Is there any advantage to my doing that, as opposed to connecting the monitor to the...
  6. VGA adapter related question

VGA adapter related question: hello guys, i am using a 21" hd monitor, and my monitor doesnt have a hdmi input, so i am using a hdmi to vga converter, and i think my colour and graphics perfomance not so good, am i right ? will a vga converter reduce my my graphics perfomance ? i am bad in english...
  7. BSOD with External Display VGA

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD with External Display VGA: Hello, I have been experiencing BSODs when using the VGA out on my laptop, most of it generally happen when the computer goes to sleep, and I wake the computer afterwards. Then it would just show a blank screen until I unplugged the VGA connector and it will BSOD with the...
  8. Simple DVI question?

Simple DVI question?: I have a Gigabyte 7870 graphics card. The specs read that I have a DVI-I (dual link). There is a cheap QHD Monitor I am shopping. The monitor specs read DVI-D only. Will my graphics card work? 28735
  9. HDMI / DVI - Occulus Rift Questions

HDMI / DVI - Occulus Rift Questions: It will probably be a long time before I can afford this thing but it looks pretty exciting. Looking at it's setup made me wonder. Part of the setup requires a HDMI out or DVI output from your PC. Fair enough. But on my Nvidia 980ti GPU I already use the HDMI out to connect...
  10. USB-to-VGA and USB-to-DVI adapters working not together

USB-to-VGA and USB-to-DVI adapters working not together: Hi! I'm using my PC with 3 desktops. 2 desktops are connected to nVidia GeForce 210 by DVI and HDMI. I had connected one desktop by USB-to-VGA adapter by Manhattan - this desktop had max.resolution 1600x1200. I changed display to 24" 1920x1200 display and adapter written...