Windows 10: Display Name vs Profile user name?

Discus and support Display Name vs Profile user name? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I created a local user account during the Windows 10 installation process and that username which I created are a mix of letters and numbers which is... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by win10freak, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Display Name vs Profile user name?

I created a local user account during the Windows 10 installation process and that username which I created are a mix of letters and numbers which is also displayed on the Windows logon screen.

Is there way to add my First and Last name as the display name to the Windows logon screen and have the one with the mixed letters and numbers used only as the user profile folder?

For example:

On the Windows logon screen I want to show my First and Last name as my display name.
    Then, my username with the random mixed letters and numbers would only be used as my Users Profile folder.

I would pretty much guess this would be only used for domain-joined machines. But I do not know, that is why I am asking.
    Think this is only used in Active Directory where a users Display Name would be on the Windows logon screen and then a username is generated and that would be only used for the user's profile setting.

Hope this makes sense.

:)

win10freak, Jun 14, 2020
  2. DSD
    DSD Win User

Need help with changing name of user profile folder

I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign out and back in again and it didn't work. I think the reason is because Windows created a TEMP user and would log me in under that so there would be a folder named C/User/TEMP and still the original named folder of C/User/myuserfolder.

I found this on the forums here: Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

The instructions are very similar to what I have tried. In the above post John W used safe mode. Do I need to go through all the steps again as listed in the post and then go into safe mode, or can I just use safe mode to change the folder name?

Also, are there newer instructions for how to do this with updates to Windows since the above thread was posted over a year ago?

Thanks in advance.

3. User Name

Hi Bradford,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are willing to have your name instead of email address at login screen.
    If you are using Microsoft account for logging to the system then it will be hard to remove email address and show your name only. However, if you want then you may create new user profile as a local account with administrator permission. In this account
    you may keep the name you want.

For creating new user profile you may refer to the steps provided below.

• Press Windows key + R

• Type control userpasswords2 and click OK

• Click on add under users tab

• Click the option, "Sign-in without a Microsoft account

• Click on Local account

• Choose a name for the account

• Add password if you want to

• Apply and click OK.

For more information you may refer to the article mentioned below and see if it helps.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Jun 14, 2020
  4. Jessen P Win User

Display Name vs Profile user name?

Query about changing the User Accounts name

Hi Jerry,

Perform the steps mentioned below to change the user account name.

• Sign in to the Your info page on the Microsoft account website.

• Under your name, select Edit name.
      If there’s no name listed yet, select Add name.
    • Edit or add the name you want, then choose Save.
      Your Microsoft account name will start to appear or change everywhere you use it.

Please revert if you still cannot change the user account name.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

Display Name vs Profile user name?

1. Display Name vs Profile user name? - Similar Threads - Display Name Profile

2. User Profile Name by Default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Profile Name by Default: Hi everyone, my Microsoft email id is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, when on clean install i enter this email to login the user profile name under " C:\user\mail2 " shows like this.I want to know is there a way to change this " C:\user\mail2 " to " C:\user\...
  3. Windows profile user name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows profile user name: I have noticed that the user profile name in C:\Users is the 1st 5 chars of the MS account. In our family, we have 2 person whos MS account have the same 1st 5 chars. Would this cause problems if I add these 2 accounts? Is it possible to make the profile name as the 1st 10...
  4. Windows profile user name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows profile user name: I have noticed that the user profile name in C:\Users is the 1st 5 chars of the MS account. In our family, we have 2 person whos MS account have the same 1st 5 chars. Would this cause problems if I add these 2 accounts? Is it possible to make the profile name as the 1st 10...
  5. Windows profile user name

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Is Display name the same as your Profile name

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is Display name the same as your Profile name: Is your display name the same as your profile name your profile name next to your avatar, when customer need to ask the Community a question? I only have one email Microsoft account. Sometimes the name next to the avatar is Ruth, sometimes Ruth 53. My full name for my account...
  7. Different Display Name vs Profile Name - Possible?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Different Display Name vs Profile Name - Possible?: So, obviously with AD you can set someone's logon name to be first.last, but have their displayed name be Last, First. How to go about doing this on a stand-alone Win 10 Pro not on a domain or workgroup. Am I missing something? Thanks. 180750
  8. Wrong profile name displayed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong profile name displayed: Hi, i noticed at times that windows has my son's name listed with his email for example at the top of the settings dashboard? Is that because he has somewhere logged in to his microsoft account on my desktop. How do i get rid of this and display my own details? Thank you....
  9. User Profile Folder Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Profile Folder Name: This just something I'm starting up in hopes that enough people will complain about it that Microsoft will change the programming to make it easier to get your User folder renamed. Because going through the hassle of creating a new user, backing up all your files in your...
  10. User Profile Name Change

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Profile Name Change: how do i change my user profile name from "quadr" to my name "Patrick"? for some reason, when i clean installed, it set up my user profile like that instead of my name... 9824