Windows 10: Display problems - black or blank screen

Discus and support Display problems - black or blank screen in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My installation comprises: - 1 ThinkPad X270 laptop main station - 2 ThinkPad P24h-10 monitors connected to the HDMI ports of the docking station -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MamieGeek, Feb 29, 2020.

1. MamieGeek Win User

Display problems - black or blank screen

My installation comprises:

- 1 ThinkPad X270 laptop main station

- 2 ThinkPad P24h-10 monitors connected to the HDMI ports of the docking station

- 1 ThinkPad USB-C dock type 40A9 connecting point for the a.m. devices

All devices still under warranty.

I've been using this installation without encountering any severe trouble till yesterday morning. When I wanted to connect my laptop I could not display anything on the HDMI2-monitor. So I tried to set again the display mode.

The result is not any monitor working and problem when trying to reset the monitor. I cannot access any longer the setting panel of the monitors, only switch it on and off and change the signal source type-C, HDMI1, HDMI2, DP .

Last but not least: When I plug the dock to the laptop, the screen gets blank or black and I cannot not control anything nor work with my system.

I've just finished updatin the BIOS and checked all the drivers to make sure the system is up to date. Till now I did not try to reinitialise my laptop, but I already saved all the application files on an external hard disc.

Can anybody explain these issues and help me to get my display back? Thanks in advance.

:)

MamieGeek, Feb 29, 2020

2. KB4497935 CAUSING INFINITE BLACK SCREEN WITH SPINNING CIRCLE

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

Please answer these questions to get additional information for clarity:

1. Are you getting a black screen before signing in to Windows 10?
    2. Are you getting a black or blank screen after signing in to Windows 10?
    3. Are you getting a black screen with spinning dots after restarting the device?

Some of the common scenarios that can cause a black or blank screen to occur are connection problems with your display, display adapter driver update issues, or issues with recent updates or installations.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to check if that works.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14106/windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-or-blank-screen-errors

Let us know the result of the steps performed so that we can help you further.

Awaiting your reply.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Feb 29, 2020
  3. Maria Fab Win User
    Black Dots appears on screen

Hello Kushal,

Black screen errors can be caused by issues with the display adapter drivers, connection issues between with your PC or display, or during installation of operating system or updates.

For resolution, we suggest that you follow our guided walk-through to resolve black screen errors. See
    Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors. Choose the error you're experiencing from the list,
    and a set of troubleshooting steps will be provided.

Please update us with the results. We will be glad to assist you.

Maria Fab, Feb 29, 2020
  4. Display problems - black or blank screen

Blank Screen

Hi Virginia,

Conflicts with third-party software and outdated graphic drivers are common contributors to the black screen issue that you're having. To isolate the said issue, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Are you getting any error messages before getting a blank screen?
    • Are you experiencing this when using a particular app?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer settings prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you refer to this
    article
    which talks about the steps you can take to resolve blank screen errors.

We'll wait for your response and assist you accordingly.

Angela Pun, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

Display problems - black or blank screen

1. Display problems - black or blank screen - Similar Threads - Display problems black

2. Microsoft Store displays a blank Black or White screen

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Store displays a blank Black or White screen: [ATTACH]Several Windows users have reported experiencing a blank Black or White screen issue on Microsoft Store. This issue could be caused due to multiple reasons including a corrupted Store cache, damaged system files, and incorrect time and region settings. Now, if you are...
  3. Blank/Black Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank/Black Screen: I was updating windows and then ran into a huge problem. When I turn on my PC it looks normal at first. Then it pops up with the a blue screen with time and date. Then I press enter and it goes to the login screen. From there the screen turned black after I try to login. Not...
  4. Blank/Black Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank/Black Screen: I was updating windows and then ran into a huge problem. When I turn on my PC it looks normal at first. Then it pops up with the a blue screen with time and date. Then I press enter and it goes to the login screen. From there the screen turned black after I try to login. Not...
  5. Blank/Black Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. 3d Display mode made my displays go blank with black screens

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3d Display mode made my displays go blank with black screens: Warning to all that try the 3D display mode. It rendered my computer in operatable with blank black screens. I had to go into safe mode and go back to windows 10 and then upgrade to windows 11. This is not good; you should have a test period like when we used to test out...
  7. Display / Blank screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Display / Blank screen: My Screen display is blank. I can tell its back lit and i can ocassionally see my cursor and the swirling blue circle of processing, but i cant see anything else on screen....
  8. Display on screen blank

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display on screen blank: Display of laptop wont function, but if I connect an HDMI to the laptop screen shows. All projection options functioningextend to displays, duplicate displays, display screen 2 only all good except for display 1 which is the laptop monitor. Cant see anything in the screen if...
  9. display driver black screen problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    display driver black screen problem: hello microsoft , i am suffering from my display adapter problem . when my display driver is updated it causes black screen between the installation . I had tried everything from reinstalling to updating windows 7 to windows 10 pro but my problem is not solved . if i will...
  10. Display problems; display jumps around and sometimes goes blank or black

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Display problems; display jumps around and sometimes goes blank or black: Have updated my bios, firmware, and drivers through Dell support and still have the problem. Also went to Intel and updated my graphics driver. Computer 5 years old. Called Microsoft for help and since there was an issue with logging into Windows with a password (went to pin...