Windows 10: Display Refresh Rate Switching - case of screen flicker for Dell XPS 15Z - solved

Discus and support Display Refresh Rate Switching - case of screen flicker for Dell XPS 15Z - solved in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; in relation to a post:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Almin Ibrahimovic, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Display Refresh Rate Switching - case of screen flicker for Dell XPS 15Z - solved

in relation to a post: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-display-garbled-intermittently/d382c672-cdf0-4a14-843a-ea17cd349280

the issue is caused by running on battery with Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel settings set with "Display Refresh Rate Switching" set to enable on battery profile by default.

To correct this do the following:

1. Open the "Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel", usually located bottom right corner of the taskbar, has a tool tip "Intel HD Graphics"

1.1 Go to "Power" this is on the left hand side of the "Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel"

1.2 Select "On Battery" from the "Power Source" drop down list.

1.3 under "Power Conservation Features" ensure that you untick / do not select the option for "Display Refresh Rate Switching"

Display Refresh Rate Switching - case of screen flicker for Dell XPS 15Z - solved c569288b-ecc4-4f3e-9df2-8b02d7d6cba1?upload=true.png

Don't forget to apply the changes/save these.

Also if you have Dell 15Z laptop with Nvidia graphics onboard as well as the Intel 3000 HD, best you make nvdia your primary GPU to do this please follow:

2. Open Nvidia Settings

2.1 Select "Manage 3D Settings"

2.2 Select "High-performance NVIDIA processor" under "Preferred Graphics Processor" drop down menu, then apply changes

Display Refresh Rate Switching - case of screen flicker for Dell XPS 15Z - solved 762bec1e-b592-49e1-8ed9-54795a8b70b8?upload=true.png

:)

Almin Ibrahimovic, Apr 13, 2019

2. Refresh rate Problem

Hi Robert,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Screen refresh rate is the rate at which the data displayed on screen is refreshed; it may be an image or some text document. Most of the users would like to set it to a higher rate but this also depends on the capacity of graphic
    card and monitors. If the refresh rate is slow, the images on the display looks as flickering to the user eye and makes it uncomfortable to work.

Nowadays the latest monitors available in market will have minimum 60 Hz of refresh rate and it is very good option to set it to 70 Hz if you your monitor is compatible. Normally a high performance or quality monitors can reach
    120 Hz of refresh rate. So I would suggest you to set your monitor refresh rate as higher as possible, below given steps describes how to access this feature on your Windows 8.1/10 PC.

• The default refresh rate setting is 60 Hertz (HZ); however, your monitor may support a higher setting. Check your manufacturer's documentation for information about the settings that your monitor supports.
    • If you use a higher refresh rate, you can reduce the rate that your screen flickers; however, if you specify a refresh rate that is too high for your monitor, your screen may become unusable and your hardware may be damaged.
    • Changes to the refresh rate affect all users that log on to the computer.
    I would, as of now, suggest you to visit the computer manufacturer's support website and install the latest display and chipset drivers available for the latest operating system (currently it would be 8.1 in the list).

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Niranjan Manjhi, Apr 13, 2019
  3. windows 10 and dell xps 15z

Dell does not provide service for Win10 support for the xps 15z. So I had the described problem as I tested the new win10 in august on my 15z. Now I want to know is the problem above solved? I need a system that work reliable. And the sleep mode is important
    to change the working place and other workarounds.

I want to upgrade my system, but first I need an reliable answer.

thx.

Snoopy_605MB, Apr 13, 2019
  4. Peer_Sam Win User

Display Refresh Rate Switching - case of screen flicker for Dell XPS 15Z - solved

Screen flickering while gaming

Hi Lane,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

What is the make and model of the computer?

Is this issue specific to a particular game?

When was the last time your computer worked without this issue?

The problem could be caused by the GPU or cables.

I suggest you to try with the steps mentioned in the article below.

Troubleshoot screen flickering in Windows 10.

If the above steps do not help, try with decreasing the monitor refresh rate.

Go to Settings->System->Display->Advanced display settings->Display adaptor properties for Display 1->Monitor->Screen refresh rate.

Click on Apply and then Ok.

Hope it helps.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Apr 13, 2019
Thema:

Display Refresh Rate Switching - case of screen flicker for Dell XPS 15Z - solved

1. Display Refresh Rate Switching - case of screen flicker for Dell XPS 15Z - solved - Similar Threads - Display Refresh Rate

2. Display Refresh Rate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display Refresh Rate: My laptop screen was said to go up to 165 hz. However, I am unable to change it in the Windows settings. It is only able to go to 60 and 40 hz. My laptop has a AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics and a discrete Nvidia RTX 3050 ti laptop gpu. When going into the Nvidia...
  3. Display Refresh Rate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display Refresh Rate: My laptop screen was said to go up to 165 hz. However, I am unable to change it in the Windows settings. It is only able to go to 60 and 40 hz. My laptop has a AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics and a discrete Nvidia RTX 3050 ti laptop gpu. When going into the Nvidia...
  4. Display Refresh Rate

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Refresh Rates Do Not Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Refresh Rates Do Not Display: I am currently on Windows 10 system, and I am trying to lower my screen refresh rate to a lower number to run an older system that does not support above 60Hz. I understand perfectly fine how to change it; go to Display settings, Advanced Display Settings, and scroll down to...
  6. Refresh Rates Do Not Display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Refresh Rates Do Not Display: I am currently on Windows 10 system, and I am trying to lower my screen refresh rate to a lower number to run an older system that does not support above 60Hz. I understand perfectly fine how to change it; go to Display settings, Advanced Display Settings, and scroll down to...
  7. Refresh Rates Do Not Display

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Display refresh rate not changing

Display refresh rate not changing: Hello, I am using the latest Windows 10 Home Single Language build for my ASUS TUF FX505DT ver: 20H2, build: 19042.906. My display is capable of upto 1920*1080 @120 Hz, and the default refresh rate options are 48 Hz and 120 Hz. I always switch to the choppy 48 Hz on battery...
  9. Display Refresh Rate help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Display Refresh Rate help: Help my laptop with UHD 620 graphics doesn't display options of above 60hz in display properties, with a 75hz monitor. The monitor hits 75hz with another laptop with HD 620 graphics. Please help submitted by /u/BlockCraftedX [link] [comments]...
  10. refresh rate on screen display

refresh rate on screen display: how do I to turn off on-screen intel refresh rate number at top left of screen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/refresh-rate-on-screen-display/7d038e48-7150-44fa-acb4-f9e4216ec5e8

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off monitor refresh rate xps 15