Windows 10: Display resolution on monitor changing

Discus and support Display resolution on monitor changing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I use "Extend" when after pressing Win + P, my monitor resolution is fine. But then when I close the laptop lid or make it "Second screen only"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by NKnope, May 3, 2021.

1. NKnope Win User

Display resolution on monitor changing

When I use "Extend" when after pressing Win + P, my monitor resolution is fine. But then when I close the laptop lid or make it "Second screen only" the resolution becomes worse. Not really sure how it started or when but I am sure it wasn't always like this. I will attach a picture of the same section of the monitor in the 2 cases. Lid closed or "Second screen only"Lid open

:)

NKnope, May 3, 2021

2. Display Resolution for two monitor have different settings

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The display resolution depends on the monitors that you have plugged into your computer. The display resolution modes will vary with each display based on the video card device, monitor size, video driver, and monitor driver.
    By default, Windows chooses the best display settings for your PC based on your monitor, so it is recommended to set the screen resolution of the display to the (Recommended) native resolution to get the best display on your monitor.

To have better clarity on the issue, let us know the model numbers of your monitors, so that we can provide you the exact display resolution which is recommended to your monitors.

Meanwhile, try the below methods and see if this helps.

Changing the Display Resolution from Settings.

Step 1: Right Click on an empty space on the desktop and click on
    Display Settings.

Step 2: In the
    Display Settings window, scroll down and click on 'Advanced display settings' option under
    Multiple displays.

Step 3: Then, click on
    Display adapter properties for Display 1, Display 2, or
    Display 3; whichever monitor you want to change the resolution for.

Step 4: Once the Display properties pops-up, click on 'List All Modes' option.

Step 5: Select a display mode that you want for the selected display and click on
    OK.

Step 6: Then, click on
    Apply and OK for the changes to take effect.

If these steps don't work, try reinstalling the driver by opening
    Device Manager, right-click on the monitor drivers, and select
    Uninstall. Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the drivers.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, May 3, 2021
  3. Help! Windows 10 changed my resolution and can't see anything!!

Hi Etan,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Monitors can support resolutions that are lower than their native resolutions, but text won't look as sharp and the display might be small, centered on the screen, edged with black, or stretched. It is recommended to set the screen resolution of the display
    to the (Recommended) native resolution to get the best display on your monitor. Your screen resolution needs to be at least
    1024x768 to have multiple windows and apps on your screen at the same time.

Kindly follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I suggest you to set the Display Resolution on your monitor to the recommended level. Follow the below steps

• Open the Start menu and type Settings in the search bar.
    • Click on System and select Display.
    • Make sure that you have set the Change the size of the text, apps and other items to 100%
      recommended.
    • Click on Advanced display settings.
    • Select the monitor and make sure that you have selected Resolution
      to 1920*1080 Recommended.
    If the issue still persists, then follow the below method.

Method 2:

I suggest you to update the display adapter then try to change the screen resolution.

Follow the steps given below to uninstall and reinstall the display drivers.  

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Search for Display Adapters and expand it.
    • Right click on the Display Adapters and select Uninstall.
    If the issue still persists, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer to download the latest display adapters.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, May 3, 2021
  4. Arjay Dom Win User

monitor display size

Hi Kathy,

This issue with monitor display can be caused by screen resolution problems.

As an initial troubleshooting step, try changing the screen resolution by following the steps below:

• Right-click on the desktop screen.
    • Select Display settings.
    • Click Display.
    • Under Resolution, click on the drop-down menu and change the screen resolution.

Note: You can select the most recommended resolution (1920 x 1080) if applicable and see if the issue will persist.

Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Arjay Dom, May 3, 2021
Thema:

1. Display resolution on monitor changing - Similar Threads - Display resolution monitor

2. Correct monitor resolution is not displayed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Correct monitor resolution is not displayed: Hey,I bought a 34" monitor that supports 3440*1440 and on device settings the max resolution is 1920*1080I am using a laptop with intel HUD and Nvidia mx330.the monitor is connected by default to the intel HUD No option to changeWhen I enter the Nvidia control panel most of...
  3. Correct monitor resolution is not displayed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Correct monitor resolution is not displayed: Hey,I bought a 34" monitor that supports 3440*1440 and on device settings the max resolution is 1920*1080I am using a laptop with intel HUD and Nvidia mx330.the monitor is connected by default to the intel HUD No option to changeWhen I enter the Nvidia control panel most of...
  4. How to change monitor display resolution/scaling only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change monitor display resolution/scaling only: As you can see in the picture below, my external monitor is larger than my laptop's display, but windows thinks the display is smaller. Because of this, when I transfer windows from the monitor to the laptop, the sizing is off until it fully realizes it is on the new screen....
  5. How to change monitor display resolution/scaling only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change monitor display resolution/scaling only: As you can see in the picture below, my external monitor is larger than my laptop's display, but windows thinks the display is smaller. Because of this, when I transfer windows from the monitor to the laptop, the sizing is off until it fully realizes it is on the new screen....
  6. How to change monitor display resolution/scaling only

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. 3 Monitors display resolution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    3 Monitors display resolution: I am running two large high resolution monitors off may laptop as the primary computer but I can't get both large monitors to use their high resolution settings. One large monitor will accept the high resolution but the other large monitor will only allow for the 1440 x 576...
  8. Change the display resolution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change the display resolution: I want to change the display resolution from 1366 X 768 to 1920 X 1080. How can I do that? In my system OS is Windows 10 Home and the highest display resolution is appearing as 1366 X 768....
  9. Resolution Display issue with LG monitor can't change

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Resolution Display issue with LG monitor can't change: Hi Hope this is right place to post. I'm having a issue with the LG ips led 27mp59ht monitor. I can't change display resolution. It's stuck on 1280 x 1024 stretched wide even though within the pc the display is changed to 1920 x 1080. Each time I reboot the pc the monitor...
  10. Resolution Display issue with LG monitor can't change

in Windows 10 Support
    Resolution Display issue with LG monitor can't change: Hi Hope this is right place to post. I'm having a issue with the LG ips led 27mp59ht monitor. I can't change display resolution. It's stuck on 1280 x 1024 stretched wide even though within the pc the display is changed to 1920 x 1080. Each time I reboot the pc the monitor...