Windows 10: Display Resolution set to 1024x768 when not using the monitor

Discus and support Display Resolution set to 1024x768 when not using the monitor in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I work at a software company. We have three computers with windows10 that share one monitor using a KVM switch. These three computers run automated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Stephen Spade, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Display Resolution set to 1024x768 when not using the monitor

I work at a software company. We have three computers with windows10 that share one monitor using a KVM switch. These three computers run automated tests every night i.e. opening a browser, navigating to our website, and testing various parts of it to make sure it works as we expect. The problem is that the two machines that are not currently selected on the KVM switch use a resolution of 1024x768, while the one that is selected is using 1920x1080. We want all three machines to be using 1920x1080.I've read from an answer to a similar question that "Windows creates Simulated monitor with

:)

Stephen Spade, Jan 31, 2022

2. Display Resolution for two monitor have different settings

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The display resolution depends on the monitors that you have plugged into your computer. The display resolution modes will vary with each display based on the video card device, monitor size, video driver, and monitor driver.
    By default, Windows chooses the best display settings for your PC based on your monitor, so it is recommended to set the screen resolution of the display to the (Recommended) native resolution to get the best display on your monitor.

To have better clarity on the issue, let us know the model numbers of your monitors, so that we can provide you the exact display resolution which is recommended to your monitors.

Meanwhile, try the below methods and see if this helps.

Changing the Display Resolution from Settings.

Step 1: Right Click on an empty space on the desktop and click on
    Display Settings.

Step 2: In the
    Display Settings window, scroll down and click on 'Advanced display settings' option under
    Multiple displays.

Step 3: Then, click on
    Display adapter properties for Display 1, Display 2, or
    Display 3; whichever monitor you want to change the resolution for.

Step 4: Once the Display properties pops-up, click on 'List All Modes' option.

Step 5: Select a display mode that you want for the selected display and click on
    OK.

Step 6: Then, click on
    Apply and OK for the changes to take effect.

If these steps don't work, try reinstalling the driver by opening
    Device Manager, right-click on the monitor drivers, and select
    Uninstall. Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the drivers.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jan 31, 2022
  3. SteveDC1 Win User
    Can't keep same resolution for Windows 10 monitor "The display settings could not be saved".

Original title: How do I set display resolution when no monitor connected (I am using remote desktops)

I have a Windows 10 machine which I remote desktop into (using Team Viewer). Whenever the attached monitor is turned on I get the same resolution in my remote session too, and I can change it at will.

If the monitor is turned off, or disconnected then Windows 10 reverts back to 1024x768 and will not allow me to change the display resolution, giving the error message "The display settings could not be saved".

It is very annoying to have to leave the monitor both connected and on in order to have my remote session display resolution anything other than 1024x768.

Anyone know how to set the display resolution when there is no monitor connected?

BR,

Steve

SteveDC1, Jan 31, 2022
  4. GiviTin Win User

Display Resolution set to 1024x768 when not using the monitor

Set default resolution without a connected monitor

Hi,

I have Windows 10 and is using the PC by remote into it. The problem is this PC does not have a monitor permanently connected to it and I only use it by remote. The default resolution of a non-monitor connected PC is 1024x768 and this is the resolution
    I get when I remote into it and not able to change it. Is there a way that I can set the default resolution to something higher (1920x1080) without a connected monitor so I can use this resolution when I remote into it? A lot of the programs are not displaying
    right with the 1024x768 setting.

GiviTin, Jan 31, 2022
Thema:

Display Resolution set to 1024x768 when not using the monitor

1. Display Resolution set to 1024x768 when not using the monitor - Similar Threads - Display Resolution set

2. External monitor resolution does not display correctly when display settings are set to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor resolution does not display correctly when display settings are set to...: The SystemI have a laptop: Asus ROG Zephyrus S17 running windows 11 and an external ultrawide monitor: LG 38GN950 with a native resolution of 3840x1600, it is an ultrawide monitor. which is connected via the laptops HDMI output to the monitors HDMI input. The laptop uses...
  3. External monitor resolution does not display correctly when display settings are set to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitor resolution does not display correctly when display settings are set to...: The SystemI have a laptop: Asus ROG Zephyrus S17 running windows 11 and an external ultrawide monitor: LG 38GN950 with a native resolution of 3840x1600, it is an ultrawide monitor. which is connected via the laptops HDMI output to the monitors HDMI input. The laptop uses...
  4. Display Resolution set to 1024x768 when not using the monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display Resolution set to 1024x768 when not using the monitor: I work at a software company. We have three computers with windows10 that share one monitor using a KVM switch. These three computers run automated tests every night i.e. opening a browser, navigating to our website, and testing various parts of it to make sure it works as we...
  5. Display Resolution set to 1024x768 when not using the monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display Resolution set to 1024x768 when not using the monitor: I work at a software company. We have three computers with windows10 that share one monitor using a KVM switch. These three computers run automated tests every night i.e. opening a browser, navigating to our website, and testing various parts of it to make sure it works as we...
  6. Resolution is 1024x768 instead of 1336x768

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Resolution is 1024x768 instead of 1336x768: it keeps doing this this after a while ive reinstalled win10 about 13 times and i don't want to because of this stupid bug/error or what ever. does anyone have a fix? all google searches lead nowhere and ms support wasted my time 6 times and told me to wipe the drive i don't...
  7. Monitor stuck at 1024x768

Monitor stuck at 1024x768: I just got new pc with 1050 ti and after plugging it(with vga to hdmi) my monitor (1920x1080) is stuck at 1024x768, this monitor is working perfectly because i used it on different pc and it worked. submitted by /u/achi4game [link] [comments]...
  8. Acer G246HL Monitor - Resolution suddenly stuck at 1024x768

Acer G246HL Monitor - Resolution suddenly stuck at 1024x768: I've had an Acer G246HL 24-inch 1920x1080p monitor for 5 years and until now it has worked without a single problem. However, I woke up my computer today and found that the monitor wouldn't wake up along with it. I rebooted my computer and then it did wake up....and the...
  9. Set different resolution on each monitor when duplicating displays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set different resolution on each monitor when duplicating displays: Hello, I just bought a new Samsung Q60R 4K tv. When I connect it to my laptop via HDMI, it sets the resolution to 4k on both my laptop main display (which is only capable of 1600x900) and the TV so my laptop screen looks blurry as the Desktop resolution is 3840x2160 and the...
  10. Resolution is 1024x768 instead of 1336x768

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Resolution is 1024x768 instead of 1336x768: Hi greetings, I have this annoying problem of my monitor (LG HD '16) not showing it's true native resolution of 1336x768 I know this monitor isn't broken because I tried different system on it and it works perfectly. I just recently build my old PC and upgraded some parts,...