Windows 10: Display scale and layout options disappeared Windows 10

Discus and support Display scale and layout options disappeared Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I wanted to change some settings, and when I opened display settings, I found that they are all "grayed out". I cannot change the size of text, apps,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Art Koch, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Art Koch Win User

Display scale and layout options disappeared Windows 10

I wanted to change some settings, and when I opened display settings, I found that they are all "grayed out". I cannot change the size of text, apps, cannot change display resolution - the options are there, but there's no way to select a wanted option. The option dropdowns are "gray".

I searched on possible solutions, and there were suggestion to check for Windows updates. Well, I downloaded all the updates - nothing change. I still cannot make the choices I was always able to make on Windows.

Please help.

:)

Art Koch, Oct 28, 2020
  2. Rey Bel1 Win User

Scale & Layout

Hi,

Your question does not contain all the required information needed for us to help you. For us to better assist you, we'd like to ask the following information:

• Which Windows version and build are you using? Type winver in the search bar and press
      Enter to find out.
    • Are you having issues changing with the scale and layout setting or you intend to change it?
    • Are getting any error messages?

Meanwhile, most of the advanced display settings from previous versions of Windows are now available on the Display settings page.

• Select Start and select Settings >System>Display.
    • If you want to change the size of your text and apps, use the dropdown menu under
      Scale and layout. In Windows 10, you can no longer change the text size of a specific item.
    • To change your screen resolution, use the drop down menu under Resolution.
    • To adjust your color calibration, search "calibrate display color" in the search box of Settings and follow the directions.
    • If you don't see a setting you're looking for, try searching for it in the search box on the taskbar.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rey Bel1, Oct 28, 2020
  3. Disable display scaling on high DPI settings. globe switch

Hi Lasse,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and your effort towards resolving it.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to customize the display scaling and check if it helps.

• Right click on the open area on the Desktop.
    • Select the Graphics properties.
    • Click on Display option.
    • Click on the General settings from the left pane.
    • Under the Scaling click on the Customize
      Aspect Ratio
      and try to customize.
    • Click on Apply.
    • If you want to reset the display scaling settings then follow till the above 4th step.
    • Then under the Scaling click on the Maintain Display Scaling.
    • Click on Apply.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Oct 28, 2020
  4. Display scale and layout options disappeared Windows 10

Scale and layout problem

Open Start > Settings > System > Display

Make sure recommended settings are selected for Scale and Layout and Screen resolution.

Another thing you can try:

uninstall your display driver then restart

Boot to the Windows 10 desktop

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Display adapters

Right click the current display adapter

Click Properties

Click Driver tab

Click Rollback driver if the option is available

If not

Right click the current display adapter

Click Uninstall

Exit Device Manager

Restart

If that does not work, try performing a system restore before this problem occurred.

I recommend you uninstall the KB4048955, KB4048954 (Windows 10 1703)

Microsoft issued an update for several versions of WIndows 10: KB4048954, KB4048955 that has caused issues with display drivers. If you know the make and model of your computer, you can try manually reinstalling the driver from the manufacturers website for
    your video driver.

Press Windows key + R

Type: appwiz.cpl

Hit Enter

Click View installed updates

Select the recent update

(This is the update you want to uninstall KB4048955)

Right click it then click uninstall.

Restart then see if stability is restored.

The update might try to install again. So, try blocking it.

Is there an option or work around to block updates or hardware drivers that might cause problems?

Yes, Microsoft has released a KB update (KB3073930) that will let users block or hide Windows or driver updates.

You can download it at the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

If its the icons and toolbars, then Go back to Start > Settings > System > Display

Click in the Scale and layout list box, try another scale such as 125 to see if that works or play around with custom scaling.

Option 2:

Perform a repair upgrade

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Andre Da Costa, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

Display scale and layout options disappeared Windows 10

1. Display scale and layout options disappeared Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Display scale layout

2. Display Scale and Layout is Greyed Out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display Scale and Layout is Greyed Out: I have just got a new laptop and am configuring my 2 additional monitors. The scale and layout settings are greyed out as shown below, not allowing me to adjust the resolution of monitor #3. I have reinstalled the graphics driver, checked for windows updates and restarted. If...
  3. Display Scale and Layout is Greyed Out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display Scale and Layout is Greyed Out: I have just got a new laptop and am configuring my 2 additional monitors. The scale and layout settings are greyed out as shown below, not allowing me to adjust the resolution of monitor #3. I have reinstalled the graphics driver, checked for windows updates and restarted. If...
  4. Scale and layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scale and layout: Hello. I had a major problem in Windows 11. Unfortunately, I changed the scale part manually and the whole program size was messed up, then I returned the number size to normal and default, but it has not been fixed yet. By setting it to 125%, which is a normal number, the...
  5. Scale and layout

Scale and layout: Hello. I had a major problem in Windows 11. Unfortunately, I changed the scale part manually and the whole program size was messed up, then I returned the number size to normal and default, but it has not been fixed yet. By setting it to 125%, which is a normal number, the...
  6. Scale and layout doesn't work in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scale and layout doesn't work in windows 10: Hi everyone, I have just changed my windows. I have a laptop and I want to connect my laptop to another monitor. Therefore I wanna just use the monitor as my screen. After changing the display to the second screen only, scale and layout disappear and I can not change the size...
  7. Scale and layout doesn't work in windows 10

Scale and layout doesn't work in windows 10: Hi everyone, I have just changed my windows. I have a laptop and I want to connect my laptop to another monitor. Therefore I wanna just use the monitor as my screen. After changing the display to the second screen only, scale and layout disappear and I can not change the size...
  8. Scale and Layout setting?

in Windows 10 Support
    Scale and Layout setting?: I have a 14 inch laptop and I was wondering what would be the best Scaling and Layout? Should I leave it at the recommended level of 150% or 125%? I tried the 125% setting, and looks more professional, the layout of apps and windows are a bit smaller, but seems appropriate....
  9. Cannot change the scale and layout on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change the scale and layout on Windows 10: Hi, my display on windows 10 now is kind of blurry, although not too much. i want to change the scale and layout in my display from 100% to 125% but it wont let me. i try to look for solution everywhe[ATTACH]re but didn't find one. please help me...
  10. Display Option Disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Display Option Disappeared: I have an MSI GeForce GTX 1050 graphics card. I have 1 output HMDI to my TV, and 1 Display Port to my monitor. For no obvious reason, I can no longer choose the HDMI as an output in windows. Under Display Settings, it won't recognize the HDMI display. It indicate I have...