Windows 10: Display scale confuses Photo Viewer

Discus and support Display scale confuses Photo Viewer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a set up with 3 monitors. The center one (and 'main') is 4k and the other two are 1080p I set a scale factor of 175% on the center one so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by alexanderkibbe, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Display scale confuses Photo Viewer

I have a set up with 3 monitors. The center one (and 'main') is 4k and the other two are 1080p

I set a scale factor of 175% on the center one so stuff will look the same size on all three monitors (exact value should be 171.4% but 175% is close enough). For most apps this isn't a problem, but photo view seems to get confused.

Specifically photo view is showing images at the wrong size when I 'view actual size'. At first I thought that it was just ignoring the scale factor, IE if i open an image that I know is exactly 1920*1080 on the 4K monitor and 'view actual size' it appears to be 1/4 the size of the screen. This is expected when no scale factor is used.

However it also appears as ~1/4 the screen when I open the same image to view on one of the 1080 monitors where its 'actual size' should be the entire screen. It feels like photo view is running the scale factor backwards. IE its showing the image at 100% scale on the 4k monitor and showing it at 57% scale on the others (the inverse of 175%)

This is further confirmed when I turn Display Scaling off entirely and open the image. In that case it STILL appears as 1/4 the screen on the 4K (as expected) but appears properly on the others as the full screen.

This issue seems to be app specific to Microsoft apps, It also occurs in Paint, but does not occur in Chrome, or 123 Photo Viewer

:)

alexanderkibbe, Dec 6, 2019

2. PNG files don't scale with Display Scaling in Windows Photo Viewer

I have two 4k monitors, so I have Windows display scaling at 150%. The only problem is that PNGs have begun acting a little off in Windows Photo Viewer. I've attached an image of two of the exact same file, only I re-saved one as a PNG (on the left). As you can see, the PNG doesn't scale at all, while the JPG is much larger and perfectly viewable.

Does anyone know how I can fix this or what registry setting I can adjust? Windows Photo Viewer isn't exactly an application with settings. Worth noting it didn't do this until about a week ago when I tried to fix the order Windows 10 displays image files, so maybe even just showing me how the pngfile registry entry should look might help? Not positive.

Thanks in advance!

Display scale confuses Photo Viewer [​IMG]

FrankLepore, Dec 6, 2019
  3. PNG files don't scale with Display Scaling in Windows Photo Viewer

I use Photoshop for manipulation. I literally just use Photo Viewer to view images because it's lightweight and simple. I just want all file types to scale equally.

FrankLepore, Dec 6, 2019
  4. bro67 Win User

Display scale confuses Photo Viewer

PNG files don't scale with Display Scaling in Windows Photo Viewer

But how old is that version of PS? Gimp blows it out of the water, because it is a very good graphics and photo manipulation package.

bro67, Dec 6, 2019
Thema:

Display scale confuses Photo Viewer

1. Display scale confuses Photo Viewer - Similar Threads - Display scale confuses

2. Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo Viewer: My photos are resizing automatically. I have photos saved to an external drive. When I view a single photo from the drive the photo shows at the size it was saved. However if I access the drive through explorer to view all of the photos in the file they start resizing after 2...
  3. Windows Photo Viewer can't display this picture

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Photo Viewer can't display this picture: lMy new laptop has 8GB RAM, an 11th gen Core i5 CPU, and nothing else is running other than File Explorer. However, if I open another picture in the same folder, enable Slide Show, this file will display without issue. Other image viewing apps [Photos - which I cannot STAND],...
  4. Windows Photo Viewer can't display this picture

Windows Photo Viewer can't display this picture: lMy new laptop has 8GB RAM, an 11th gen Core i5 CPU, and nothing else is running other than File Explorer. However, if I open another picture in the same folder, enable Slide Show, this file will display without issue. Other image viewing apps [Photos - which I cannot STAND],...
  5. Display Scaling Changes Prints Scaling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display Scaling Changes Prints Scaling: I have many machines running Windows 10. All of these machines are affected by the same issue. The monitors are 2560x1440, for some people this makes things too small. One solution is to adjust the resolution to 1920x1080 but then things are fuzzy. The other option is to...
  6. Display Scaling Changes Prints Scaling

Display Scaling Changes Prints Scaling: I have many machines running Windows 10. All of these machines are affected by the same issue. The monitors are 2560x1440, for some people this makes things too small. One solution is to adjust the resolution to 1920x1080 but then things are fuzzy. The other option is to...
  7. Display Scaling Changes Prints Scaling

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Microsoft Photos viewer displaying pictures in negatives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Photos viewer displaying pictures in negatives: Hello all,A few weeks ago, something strange happened. My Photos viewer displays pictures that are in CMYK regardless of file format, as negatives. Photos that are in RGB are not affected. I've never had this happen before, so I'm finding it pretty weird. To add to the...
  9. Windows Photo Viewer can’t display this picture

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Photo Viewer can’t display this picture: [ATTACH] Sometimes when you open an image or a picture in Windows Photo Viewer, it displays nothing. Instead, you will see an error message “Windows Photo Viewer can’t display this picture because there might not be enough memory available on your computer“. [...] This post...
  10. PNG files don't scale with Display Scaling in Windows Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Support
    PNG files don't scale with Display Scaling in Windows Photo Viewer: I have two 4k monitors, so I have Windows display scaling at 150%. The only problem is that PNGs have begun acting a little off in Windows Photo Viewer. I've attached an image of two of the exact same file, only I re-saved one as a PNG (on the left). As you can see, the PNG...