Windows 10: Display Setup Changes Switching from DVI to DisplayPort!

Discus and support Display Setup Changes Switching from DVI to DisplayPort! in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I've been using a DVI cable to my desktop Viewsonic VP2770 monitor for a while. I may have to use the DisplayPort connection for this monitor when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Steve C, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Steve C Win User

Display Setup Changes Switching from DVI to DisplayPort!

I've been using a DVI cable to my desktop Viewsonic VP2770 monitor for a while. I may have to use the DisplayPort connection for this monitor when I buy a new GPU since many new cards don't have a DVI connection and the only other connection on this monitor supporting native 2560x1440 resolution is the DisplayPort.

I swapped the connection over from DVI to DisplayPort. I was surprised to find that the display size setting reverted to defaults i.e. the display scaling was 100% and not 150% set previously and the font sizes which I set using the .reg files on this forum were are at their small default size.

Why does using a different type of video connection cable cause these setting to reset to the defaults?

:)

Steve C, Nov 28, 2019
  2. M_P_ Win User

Windows 10 unstable in dual screen setup displayport + hdmi

I just changed my system from an intel i5 2500k to an amd r5 1600 and with almost the same hardware (only changed cpu, motherboard, ram and switched to a m2 ssd as windows drive) and windows version (freshly
    resinstalled) windows crashes when I turn my displayport screen on again in dual screen setup with an hdmi screen.

System Configuration:

Motherboard: MSI X370 gaming pro carbon

BIOS: 7A32v17 (AGESA 1.0.0.6)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200 (G-Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVKB)

GPU: MSI RX 480 gaming x 8GB

VBIOS: 015.050.000.000

GPU Driver: 17.7.1

Steps to Reproduce:

• Plug into gpu ports: BenQ XL2730Z @ displayport, Philips 273P3LPHES @ hdmi

• turn on pc and displays, wait for windows login

• turn off displayport display

• turn on displayport display

• what now happens: displayport display stays black (no signal), hdmi display turns black (no signal), pc unresponsive

• after 10 - 20 seconds pc reboots automatically
    Expected Behavior:

displayport display should turn on normally without crashing the pc in dual screen setup

Actual Behavior:

displayport display causes crash when turned on again

Additional Observations:

Turning the hdmi monitor off and on does not crash windows even if displayport display is plugged in.

Unplugging the hdmi monitor and turning the displayport monitor off and on does not crash windows.

I used the exact same hardware and drivers before with an Intel i5-2500k and an Asrock Extreme 3 gen 3 without these issues. Windows and drivers were completely reinstalled though after switching to Ryzen.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

3. Use Lumia 950 with Displayport to DVI cable

xanimurati, Nov 28, 2019
  4. Display Setup Changes Switching from DVI to DisplayPort!

Use Lumia 950 with Displayport to DVI cable

Hi,

I work for a large multi national company, and we have activity based workplaces, meaning different places everyday, with mounted screens (often quite old) with mostly DVI to DisplayPort cables. These are mostly attached, and not easy to remove/replace.
    Everything works perfectly with our computers with DP outlets.

Now I wanted to try if we could use Lumia 950 with Display Dock to connect to these screens, but unfortunately this is not possible. Is there anything I can do to get this to work without replacing the DVI - DP cables? I was told that I need to connect the
    HDMI to DVI, but since the cables are where they are, this is not working.

Any plans/update roadmap to be able to use Displayport at Display dock to a DVI outlet?

Help me please /Magnus

Magnus Burk, Nov 28, 2019
Thema:

Display Setup Changes Switching from DVI to DisplayPort!

1. Display Setup Changes Switching from DVI to DisplayPort! - Similar Threads - Display Setup Changes

2. Switch virtual desktops in multiple display setup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switch virtual desktops in multiple display setup: I have setup 2 displays on my PC. Right now if I want to switch between virtual desktops by pressing ctrl+win_Key+left/right arrow it changes the desktop on both screens. I want only the active or primary display should switch display when the action triggers. I am open to...
  3. Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA: OK, I've spent a lot of time on computers over the years but I never looked into display interfaces until I had to figure out how to connect a second display to a computer with only 1 VGA port and no room for a video card for a project my wife is involved in. I believe the...
  4. Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA

in Windows 10 Support
    Display interface question DVI, DpsilayPort, VGA: OK, I've spent a lot of time on computers over the years but I never looked into display interfaces until I had to figure out how to connect a second display to a computer with only 1 VGA port and no room for a video card for a project my wife is involved in. I believe the...
  5. display setups

in Windows 10 Customization
    display setups: I have a laptop that I take back and forth to the office and home. I have a multi monitor setup at the office and I have a multi monitor setup at home. When I boot the laptop at each location, the layouts change on the desktops. How can I setup windows so when I connect at...
  6. Graphics Card (DVI-D Out) to Monitor (DisplayPort In)

Graphics Card (DVI-D Out) to Monitor (DisplayPort In): Hi guys With help from @muchomurka , I have managed to build a PC centred around some old parts I had - P5K Deluxe Wifi mobo, Intel Core 2 Q6600 (G0 version), 8 GB ram and a Graphics card. This graphics card is a GeForce 8600 GTS Silent Fanless HTDP 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI...
  7. Mini-DisplayPort (Thunderbolt 1) to Displayport external display not recognised in windows...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mini-DisplayPort (Thunderbolt 1) to Displayport external display not recognised in windows...: I am attempting to connect my 2012 unibody non-retina Macbook pro to an external display. MacOS runs flawlessly on the external display connected using a Mini-DisplayPort (mac-side) to DisplayPort (external monitor-side) cable. Windows 10, however, fails to recognize the...
  8. DVI-D or DisplayPort to connect older NEC monitor to NVidia GTX 1080?

DVI-D or DisplayPort to connect older NEC monitor to NVidia GTX 1080?: I have an elderly NEC Multisync PA241W wide gamut photo monitor and a relatively new desktop computer with an NVidia GEforce GTX 1080. Using mostly SSDs with 64 gb ram and have virtual memory allocated to its own SSD. I don't game but I do use the computer for Adobe LR &...
  9. Monitor Recommendation for Dual Monitor with Displayport, HDMI, DVI

Monitor Recommendation for Dual Monitor with Displayport, HDMI, DVI: I have one samsung syncmaster t240 very old monitor that i bought used from someone because i could not buy 1920x1200 monitors where im located. I connect it to my dell xps 15 9550 via hdmi to hdmi cable with no issue. I previously had an asus monitor that stopped working...
  10. Display Setups

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display Setups: I hadn't thought of this option for the longest time, until this past week when putting a fourth monitor in place. I thought this post may be helpful for others. If you have a 'whacky' setup like the mess I've got, you might be inclined to drag your mouse/cursor in the...