Windows 10: Display shuts off too soon

Discus and support Display shuts off too soon in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have set my display to shut off after one hour but it shuts off after only three minutes. Any advice? Thank you.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Anton2213, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Anton2213 Win User

Display shuts off too soon

I have set my display to shut off after one hour but it shuts off after only three minutes. Any advice? Thank you.

:)

Anton2213, Jun 25, 2019

2. Display Issue Please Help

Hi Ahmed,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing while scrolling down. We are glad to help you.

To serve you better, let me know this:

What exactly happens when you shut down the computer?

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check:

Step 1: Update the Display driver. Please follow the steps given below to update the display driver.

• Click Start and go to Run.
    • In the Run prompt, type devmgmt.msc and then click
      OK.
    • Device Manager will open.
    • In Device Manager expand Display adapters.
    • Right-click the display driver and click Update Driver Software.
    • Select Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.

Step 2: Check if there are any updates for display drivers available in Optional Updates; this might fix the issue. Refer to the following steps.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.
    • Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.
    • When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.

Step 3: If the issue persists, I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Display driver. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the display driver.

• Open Device Manager.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Right-click the display card driver and click
      Uninstall
    • Windows will prompt you to confirm the device’s removal. Click OK to remove the driver.
    • After the un-installation is complete, reboot your computer as soon as possible.
    Computer will load the generic display drivers. Now, please go to the manufacturer’s website, download and install the compatible display card drivers for your computer and check.

Hope this is helpful. Feel free to contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Jun 25, 2019
  3. windows10 shuts down soon after sleep option ends

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you to fix the issue.

To assist you better I would like to know, what is the make and model of the computer?

The issue you are facing could be due to the display driver is being outdated. Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps. Follow the below methods.

Method 1

I recommend you to uninstall/reinstall the display adapter driver and check. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device manager

• Locate for display adapter and click on it to expand.

• Right click on the device and click on
      uninstall

• Once you are done uninstalling the driver, restart the computer. It will automatically install the generic display adapter driver.
    If this doesn’t help to fix the issue. I suggest you to update the display adapter driver. Skip step3 from the above steps and right click on the
    device and click on update.

Method 2.

If the above method did not help to fix the issue, I would suggest you to
    go to the computer manufacturer website and download the latest display adapter driver. If the display driver is not available for Windows 10, try installing the available driver in compatibility mode and check.

• Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties.

• Select Compatibility tab.

• Check Run this program in Compatibility mode.

• Let the driver install and then check the functionality.
    Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Jun 25, 2019
  4. Display shuts off too soon

SHUT DOWN / SLEEP FUNCTIONS NOT WORKING

Hi Mo,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern. I will do my best to fix the issue.

To assist you better, please provide us more information.

• What is the model number of the laptop?
    • When you say ‘’trying 4 options to enable a shut down’’ which option do you exactly refer to? Are you using any third party software to shut down the computer?
    Meanwhile, let’s try simple troubleshooting steps on sleep mode issue and check if this helps in resolving the issue.

Method 1

I recommend you to uninstall/reinstall the display adapter driver and check. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device manager

• Locate for display adapter and click on it to expand.

• Right click on the device and click on
      uninstall

• Once you are done uninstalling the driver, restart the computer. It will automatically install the generic display adapter driver.
    If this doesn’t help to fix the issue. I suggest you to update the display adapter driver. Skip step3 from the above steps and right click on the
    device and click on update.

Method 2.

If the above method did not help to fix the issue, I would suggest you to
    go to the computer manufacturer website and download the latest display adapter driver. If the display driver is not available for Windows 10, try installing the available driver in compatibility mode and check.

• Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties.

• Select Compatibility tab.

• Check Run this program in Compatibility mode.

• Let the driver install and then check the functionality.
    Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

Display shuts off too soon

1. Display shuts off too soon - Similar Threads - Display shuts off

2. Display randomly shuts off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display randomly shuts off: I've been having issues with my screen shutting down randomly. That wouldn't be so bad, but it also closes my Discord. It seems to be random. When it first started happening, I checked the power options. One of them was set to shut down after a certain amount of time, so I...
  3. Display randomly shuts off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display randomly shuts off: I've been having issues with my screen shutting down randomly. That wouldn't be so bad, but it also closes my Discord. It seems to be random. When it first started happening, I checked the power options. One of them was set to shut down after a certain amount of time, so I...
  4. Display randomly shuts off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Ryzen 7 5800X shuts off soon after boot

Ryzen 7 5800X shuts off soon after boot: I recently upgraded my ryzen 7 1700x to a ryzen 7 5800x. I updated my BIOS on my MSI B350m Gaming Pro. MSI's bios website says that the motherboard is compatible with the CPU. Upon booting, It runs very slowly due to a slow ram setting or so I think. My RAM is supposed to run...
  6. Ryzen 7 5800X shuts off soon after boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ryzen 7 5800X shuts off soon after boot: I recently upgraded my ryzen 7 1700x to a ryzen 7 5800x. I updated my BIOS on my MSI B350m Gaming Pro. MSI's bios website says that the motherboard is compatible with the CPU. Upon booting, It runs very slowly due to a slow ram setting or so I think. My RAM is supposed to run...
  7. Ryzen 7 5800X shuts off soon after boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Display randomly shuts off

Display randomly shuts off: I recently build a new computer and it has been working fine except for one issue. My computer will randomly shut the screen off while everything else is still running. I can hear sound through my headphones and all the fans and RGB are still on. The only way to shut the...
  9. SHUTTING OFF FULL SCREEN DISPLAY?

in Windows 10 Customization
    SHUTTING OFF FULL SCREEN DISPLAY?: HOW DO I ESCAPE THE FULL SCREEN MODE? ESC DOESN'T WORK BY ITSELF.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutting-off-full-screen-display/db860f0b-4b7c-4cf0-a697-0a158defe7af
  10. HDMI audio stream is shut off when there is silence, makes AVR shut off, too

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDMI audio stream is shut off when there is silence, makes AVR shut off, too: Hi. I just re-installed Windows because it was corrupted and now I have audio problems. It worked for years (and it still works with Windows 7 on the same PC), but now Windows decided that it doesn't want me to have continuous audio. When there should be sound, it will...