Windows 10: Display the Downloads folder when you open File Explorer in Windows 11

Discus and support Display the Downloads folder when you open File Explorer in Windows 11 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; File Explorer, the default file management tool of Windows 10 and 11 systems, opens Home, This PC or a OneDrive folder by default when launched. While... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 26, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Display the Downloads folder when you open File Explorer in Windows 11

File Explorer, the default file management tool of Windows 10 and 11 systems, opens Home, This PC or a OneDrive folder by default when launched. While these are the three default options that users may select between, there is also a hidden setting to open the Downloads folder on start of File Explorer.

The following paragraphs provide step-by-step instructions on changing the startup location of File Explorer on Windows 11 to that hidden option, and to one of the three default options.

Switch between Home, This PC and Personal folders

Display the Downloads folder when you open File Explorer in Windows 11 windows-11-change-file-explorer-start-location.png

The built-in options are accessible via File Explorer's Folder Options.

1. Open File Explorer on the Windows 11 device.
    2. Select the three-dots menu and then Options from the context menu that opens.
    3. The setting "Open File Explorer to" determines the startup location of File Explorer.
    4. Select one of the available options and then OK to apply the change.

The three options are:

• Home -- This displays Quick Access folders, pinned files and recent files when launched. Microsoft is working on adding more content to it, including work-related content for Enterprise and Education accounts.
    • This PC -- displays all connected drives and devices.
    • Personal -- The user's personal or work OneDrive folder.

Some Windows 11 users may prefer to set a different startup location for File Explorer. While there is no way to set a custom folder, there is at least a hidden option to make the Downloads folder the startup folder on the system.

Making the Downloads folder the default File Explorer folder on startup

Display the Downloads folder when you open File Explorer in Windows 11 file-explorer-windows-11-launchto.png

Note: this change requires making an edit to the Windows Registry. While it is perfectly save, it is recommended to create a backup of the Registry or the entire system before proceeding.

Here are the required steps:

1. Open the Start Menu on the Windows 11 device, type regedit.exe and select the Registry Editor result.
    2. Confirm the UAC prompt with a click on the Yes button.
    3. Paste the following path into the location field in the Registry Editor window: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    4. Right-click on Advanced and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
    5. Name it LaunchTo.
    6. Double-click on the Dword and set its value to 3.

The change takes effect immediately, a restart of the PC is not required. If everything was done correctly, File Explorer should launch the Downloads folder from now on whenever it is opened.

You can undo the change at any time by deleting the LaunchTo key, or by using the built-in options menu to set the start location to one of the three defaults.

Now You: if you could choose freely, which location would you select to launch at File Explorer start?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Display the Downloads folder when you open File Explorer in Windows 11 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 26, 2023
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 26, 2023
  3. Kreij Win User
    How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

Some suggestions

Kreij, Mar 26, 2023
  4. Display the Downloads folder when you open File Explorer in Windows 11

I have added the file count column to my folder in File Explorer. However, the actual file count is not displaying.

Hi Loren,

I appreciate if you could answer a
    few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• How did you added file count column for folders in File Explorer? What are the steps did you followed?
    • When you say, "actual file count is not displaying" is this issue specific to any folder or happening with all folders?
    • Have you installed any third party anti-virus on your system?
    Meanwhile, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on View from navigation pane and choose Detail pane.
    Write to us with the above information and status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Mar 26, 2023
Thema:

Display the Downloads folder when you open File Explorer in Windows 11

1. Display the Downloads folder when you open File Explorer in Windows 11 - Similar Threads - Display Downloads folder

2. How to fix Windows 11 file explorer not allowing Downloads folder to open?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix Windows 11 file explorer not allowing Downloads folder to open?: Everytime I try to open up my downloads folder, the File Explorer tells me that it is "working on it" then never opens. If I try to close the File Explorer Window, then my taskbar goes away, sometimes my desktop goes gray I've tried to include screenshots and it will not...
  3. How to fix Windows 11 file explorer not allowing Downloads folder to open?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix Windows 11 file explorer not allowing Downloads folder to open?: Everytime I try to open up my downloads folder, the File Explorer tells me that it is "working on it" then never opens. If I try to close the File Explorer Window, then my taskbar goes away, sometimes my desktop goes gray I've tried to include screenshots and it will not...
  4. Windows File Explorer not responding when opening folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer not responding when opening folders.: Hello,recently last few days I've been having problems with the windows file explorer:1. In the overview on the left hand side a lot of elements don't have icons only the icon for generic files is being displayed.2. Whenever I try opening a folder the explorer stops...
  5. Windows 11 Download folder will not display the files included, Explorer hangs when trying...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Download folder will not display the files included, Explorer hangs when trying...: Windows11 Pro x64, 22H2, Build 22621.1265With no prior issues, attempting to open in Windows Explorer the Downloads folder just results in "working on it" at which point Explorer hangs. The contents of the folder are never displayed, and Explorer freezes. Only using Task...
  6. Windows 11 Download folder will not display the files included, Explorer hangs when trying...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Download folder will not display the files included, Explorer hangs when trying...: Windows11 Pro x64, 22H2, Build 22621.1265With no prior issues, attempting to open in Windows Explorer the Downloads folder just results in "working on it" at which point Explorer hangs. The contents of the folder are never displayed, and Explorer freezes. Only using Task...
  7. File explorer crashes when opening downloads folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer crashes when opening downloads folder: Hello,When I open file explorer, and I go to the downloads folder, the system app crashes. When it does, I have to stop it using task manager. It also causes other problems with the system, like my laptop screen going white, I have a monitor, and my taskbar not coming up, I...
  8. File Explorer can't open Downloads folder

File Explorer can't open Downloads folder: New laptop, latest Windows 10. If I try to view the Downloads folder from either Quick Access or directly under This PC, all I get is 'working on it'. Go to C;/users/../Downloads - no problem. Why?...
  9. file explorer crash when opening download folder

file explorer crash when opening download folder: Hi. I have some problem when I Open my download folder from D: drive already check the error and it's said Description A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows. Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Problem signature Problem Event...
  10. File Explorer is displaying folders at the very bottom in Downloads

File Explorer is displaying folders at the very bottom in Downloads: This is seriously screwing me up because I have A LOT of stuff in Downloads, and I depend on the folders being at the top. To clarify: Yes, I have refreshed the folder many times. Yes, I have closed and re-opened File Explorer. No, this is not happening in any of the...