Windows 10: Display will not wake up after I close the lid

Discus and support Display will not wake up after I close the lid in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I close my Asus laptop lid and then open it again, I get just backlight but PC is sleeping. I have to restart the computer to wake it up.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DaveHoffman2, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Display will not wake up after I close the lid

When I close my Asus laptop lid and then open it again, I get just backlight but PC is sleeping. I have to restart the computer to wake it up.

:)

DaveHoffman2, Dec 12, 2019
  2. ZeyuDong Win User

Wake on Lan (WOL) does not work when the lid is closed

I met problem when configuring wake on lan. After enabling wake on lan in BIOS and in network adapter settings, I was able to wake my computer from sleep. But the problem is my laptop won't wake up when the lid is closed. That is to say:

1. When I manually sleep my computer via "Start -> Power -> Sleep" button (thus the lid is not closed), I can successfully wake my computer on lan.
    2. When I closed the lid to let computer go to sleep, I can't wake up the computer.
    3. When I sleep the computer as in 1 and then close the lid, I still cannot wake my computer.
    I have tried several method, including disabling the quickstart, disabling hybrid sleep, turning off Link State Power Management, disable power saving policy in adapter settings and etc.... But they all make no effect.

The Windows version is Windows 10 1809

The Network Adapter is made by Realtek

Thanks in advance!

ZeyuDong, Dec 12, 2019
  3. Laptop tries to wake from sleep while lid is closed.

Hello,

I have a Gateway NV53A with Windows 10 Home installed. When I close the lid, it goes to sleep normally for a few hours, but after a few hours it will start to get caught in a never ending "wake up loop" i.e. the laptop will try to wake itself up before quickly
    realizing that it can't because the lid is closed. The DVD drive will continuously start to spin up each time. This happens every two or three seconds. The sound of the DVD drive trying to spin up every three seconds is annoying and it also wastes battery.
    Normally, I have to hit a key on the keyboard to wake up the laptop after opening the lid again, but when it's in one of these wake up loops, it successfully wakes itself up upon opening the lid (evidence suggesting it's indeed trying to wake itself up.)

I've tried using the command line to see what devices are permitted to wake up the device, but none were listed. I've also disabled wake on LAN.

The only clue I've been able to find is an error in the system log that reads: "The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S4). This can result in reduced resume performance."

However, I'm not sure this pertains to the specific issue I'm having.

TaylorPinkham, Dec 12, 2019
  4. KomouPoji Win User

Display will not wake up after I close the lid

"Only show 2" defaults to "Duplicate these displays" upon closing and reopening laptop lid

Hi,

I would suggest to try the following steps and check if it helps

• Press the Win Key + X to display the
      system menu.

• Select Control Panel.

• Select Power Options.

• On theleft side menu, select the Choose what closing the lid does option.

• Look in the Power and sleep buttons and lid settings section.

• Use the drop down menus in the
      When I close the lid section and select Do Nothing for both options.

I hope the information is helpful and if the error still persists, we’ll be glad to assists you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Dec 12, 2019
Thema:

Display will not wake up after I close the lid

1. Display will not wake up after I close the lid - Similar Threads - Display wake close

2. Notebook display still on with lid closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notebook display still on with lid closed: In Windows 10, when I close de lid the internal monitor was turn off and I could use 3 external monitor attached to a dock. Now, with Windows 11, when I close de lid, the internal monitor is still on and only two external monitor works. If I connect the third monitor windows...
  3. Notebook display still on with lid closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notebook display still on with lid closed: In Windows 10, when I close de lid the internal monitor was turn off and I could use 3 external monitor attached to a dock. Now, with Windows 11, when I close de lid, the internal monitor is still on and only two external monitor works. If I connect the third monitor windows...
  4. When I put the laptop to sleep, and THEN close the lid, it wakes up immediately.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I put the laptop to sleep, and THEN close the lid, it wakes up immediately.: I want the laptop to stay awake when I close the lid, so I can listen to Spotify with the lid closed. So I have the option set to "Do nothing" for when I close the lid. I press the power button to put the device to sleep. It goes to sleep. Then I close the lid, it wakes up...
  5. When I put the laptop to sleep, and THEN close the lid, it wakes up immediately.

When I put the laptop to sleep, and THEN close the lid, it wakes up immediately.: I want the laptop to stay awake when I close the lid, so I can listen to Spotify with the lid closed. So I have the option set to "Do nothing" for when I close the lid. I press the power button to put the device to sleep. It goes to sleep. Then I close the lid, it wakes up...
  6. Laptop wakes up from Hibernate or Sleep while in a backpack with the lid closed

Laptop wakes up from Hibernate or Sleep while in a backpack with the lid closed: Airplanes can catch fire from Microsoft Hibernate or Sleep because more recently, Sleep and Hibernate are not working. You put your laptop in a backpack with LID CLOSE TO HIBERNATE or Sleep that worked before for 10+ years on old Windows versions. 20 times in recent weeks I...
  7. Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed: Hello, hope you can help me when my Asus laptop lid is closed using an outside keyboard and screenand I put it to sleep. when I wish it to wake up, I must open the lid to do so.is there a way to wake it up without open the lid?when it sleeps it does not respond to the outside...
  8. New laptop reboots instead of waking up when I close the lid.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New laptop reboots instead of waking up when I close the lid.: New laptop, Dell inspiron 7591, reboots very often instead of just waking up when I close the lid... As a result, I lose everything I was working with, it's so frustrating. Anyone experiencing this issue as well? How do I solve this? All drivers and bios are up to date. It...
  9. Display Closing Lid and Power Settings

Display Closing Lid and Power Settings: I was wondering about if there was any way for a setting to be changed so that: -If my computer is hooked up to a display (monitor), it would not sleep when I close the lid -If my computer is not hooked up to a display (monitor), it would sleep when I close the lid...
  10. Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed

Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed: Since the Windows 10 May 2019 update, the laptop cannot wake up when the lid is opened. The power button lights up and fans start up but the screen stays black and the computer doesn't respond to any button (not even the power button which would normally put it to sleep), or...