Windows 10: Displaying in Wrong Resolution

Discus and support Displaying in Wrong Resolution in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a monitor which displays 1440x900 but when I go into settings to try to change the resolution, it only gives me a few options, non of which are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RedNova64, Sep 26, 2020.

1. RedNova64 Win User

Displaying in Wrong Resolution

I have a monitor which displays 1440x900 but when I go into settings to try to change the resolution, it only gives me a few options, non of which are the correct resolution. This results in an incorrect aspect ratio and stretching. I've tried uninstalling the display adapter and restarting my computer so it installs the latest drivers, but it did nothing. I used the DirectX diagnostic tool and the name of the display adapter is "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" but the chip type says "NVIDIA." I assumed that I needed NVIDIA drivers, but I needed to know what drivers to download. Unfortunately I can't find any more information on the graphics except the manufacturer, so I'm unable to download the correct drivers.

I'm not a noob when it comes to computers but this one has got me stumped.

:)

RedNova64, Sep 26, 2020

2. Display resolution keeps changing

Hi Rick,

It might be caused by a faulty driver that's why your display resolution keeps changing. We
    suggest that you uninstall and reinstall the display driver, see steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager.
    • For graphics cards, expand the Display adapters category, right click your graphics card and select Uninstall.
    • Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Robelene Win, Sep 26, 2020
  3. Resolution?

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you want to change the screen resolution in Windows 10. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

Before we proceed, we require more information to assist you better.

• What are the options you are getting?
    • How exactly are you trying to change the screen resolution?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to change the screen resolution.

• Right click on desktop.
    • Select Display settings.
    • Click on Advance display settings.
    • Under resolution drop down, you can select the option 1600x900.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further assistance on Windows, feel free to post your query on Microsoft Community Forum.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Sep 26, 2020
  4. Displaying in Wrong Resolution

Help! Windows 10 changed my resolution and can't see anything!!

Hi Etan,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Monitors can support resolutions that are lower than their native resolutions, but text won't look as sharp and the display might be small, centered on the screen, edged with black, or stretched. It is recommended to set the screen resolution of the display
    to the (Recommended) native resolution to get the best display on your monitor. Your screen resolution needs to be at least
    1024x768 to have multiple windows and apps on your screen at the same time.

Kindly follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I suggest you to set the Display Resolution on your monitor to the recommended level. Follow the below steps

• Open the Start menu and type Settings in the search bar.
    • Click on System and select Display.
    • Make sure that you have set the Change the size of the text, apps and other items to 100%
      recommended.
    • Click on Advanced display settings.
    • Select the monitor and make sure that you have selected Resolution
      to 1920*1080 Recommended.
    If the issue still persists, then follow the below method.

Method 2:

I suggest you to update the display adapter then try to change the screen resolution.

Follow the steps given below to uninstall and reinstall the display drivers.  

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Search for Display Adapters and expand it.
    • Right click on the Display Adapters and select Uninstall.
    If the issue still persists, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer to download the latest display adapters.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

Displaying in Wrong Resolution

1. Displaying in Wrong Resolution - Similar Threads - Displaying Wrong Resolution

2. Wrong vertical resolution on maximized windows after display resolution change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong vertical resolution on maximized windows after display resolution change: Hi! I recently bought a new 4k display and my scaling is set to 200%. As previously, my scaling is performed on GPU that's how it was always set in Nvidia Control Panel for best image quality. So each time i launch a full screen game which runs a lower resolution for example...
  3. Wrong vertical resolution on maximized windows after display resolution change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong vertical resolution on maximized windows after display resolution change: Hi! I recently bought a new 4k display and my scaling is set to 200%. As previously, my scaling is performed on GPU that's how it was always set in Nvidia Control Panel for best image quality. So each time i launch a full screen game which runs a lower resolution for example...
  4. Wrong screen resolution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong screen resolution: Hello! I have an old laptop HP mini 210 1100 with wrong screen size. I updated display and video drivers. I have correct settings for screen resolution and text size, but I have an image is bigger than screen everywhere, include BIOS. Any ideas? Thank you!...
  5. Recommended display resolution is wrong

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recommended display resolution is wrong: When I open Display settings and go to Scale and Layout the recommended resolution is 1024 x 768. I got this problem with my old pc and also with my new one so I don't think its a hardware issue, unless its the monitor, anything I can do to fix this? This issue stops me from...
  6. One of my monitors displays the wrong resolution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    One of my monitors displays the wrong resolution: I've got a laptop running Windows 10, and use the laptop monitor plus two external monitors, one via HDMI and another via VGA port. This has worked fine for years without any hardware changes. Recently when I come out of sleep, one of the monitors is displaying the wrong...
  7. Wrong Display Resolution

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wrong Display Resolution: TLDR: Windows 10 won't show proper display resolution. 1920x1080 resolution shows up and shows applied, but is not actually applied. Google Search not helping. OG: Windows 10 will not display 1080p resolution and I am at a loss for what to do. I have uninstalled and...
  8. wrong native resolution

in Windows 10 Support
    wrong native resolution: After i formatted pc, i have wrong native resolution in win 10. before formatting everything is good. I have already updated drivers too. I have done everything i could already but nothing works. native resolution is stuck in 1024 x 768 when its supposed to be 1366 x 768 158679
  9. Windows 10 Resolution display is wrong

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Resolution display is wrong: hi. Last night when i went to shut my computer down, it gave me the option to shut down and update, so i did that. Today, i turn my computer on and now its all zoomed in. I go to the resolution display, it says its at 640 x 480 and it wont let me change it, the box is greyed...
  10. Wrong screen resolution

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Wrong screen resolution: Hi, I've just updated my home PC to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. I have an ASUS VS239 HR monitor with a true resolution of 1920 x 1080. VS239HR | Monitors | ASUS Global Unfortunately the only screen resolution option for my PC that appears in the Windows 10...