Windows 10: Displaying on monitor with lower resolution looks bad if not using "extend these displays"...

Discus and support Displaying on monitor with lower resolution looks bad if not using "extend these displays"... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My laptop has a 1920x1080 screen, but it has screen flickering issues. Until I can get it repaired, I want to use an external monitor, which has a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Tomé Carvalho, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Displaying on monitor with lower resolution looks bad if not using "extend these displays"...

My laptop has a 1920x1080 screen, but it has screen flickering issues. Until I can get it repaired, I want to use an external monitor, which has a 1366x768 resolution. The issue is that when I set the monitor's resolution to 1366x768 and select the "Show only on 2" option or the duplicate images one, the image quality becomes horrible. This doesn't happen with the "Extend these displays" option. Changing the laptop's resolution from 1920x1080 to 1366x768 doesn't help. I don't know why this happens on Windows 10, as duplicating the display works just fine on Ubuntu.

I don't want to use the extend displays option because my cursor will move to a screen I'm not using when tiling windows and my desktop icons only show up on the laptop's screen.

:)

Tomé Carvalho, Jun 28, 2020
  2. L33_01 Win User

Unable to extend monitor display

Hi Jay Jap,

thanks again for your reply.

I checked the screen resolution settings through windows and then through the Nvidia graphics cards.

Windows detected both monitors but Nvidia settings didn't.

I downloaded and installed the Nvidia drivers again and it's working fine. Simple solution, not sure why I had to install the drivers again? But thanks for your help, your suggestion to check if the monitors were being detected prompted me that it had to
    be a graphics card issue.

L33_01, Jun 28, 2020
  3. Extend display

Hi Sam,

The issue that you’ve encountered when extending your display may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we’d like to know the following information:

• Where there any changes that happened prior to the issue?
    • Are you using the same display resolution of the monitor on your computer?
    • What is the make and model of your device?
    • How many monitors are you using?

We’re looking forward to your response.

Joseph Ban, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Jay Jap Win User

Displaying on monitor with lower resolution looks bad if not using "extend these displays"...

Unable to extend monitor display

Thank you for the information L L33_01. I would like to know more information so that we can pinpoint the cause of the problem:

• May I know what kind of connection are you using(HDMI, VGA, etc.)?
    • If you go to the Screen resolution settings, does it detect two monitors?
    • Also, since the other screen is blank, does it have an error message?

If the connection worked before you perform you reinstall Windows 7, then let us try to clear the multiple monitor configuration of your monitors, and then extend your display by changing your display settings. Here's how:

1. Press Win + R to open a run box.
    2. In the Run box, type regedit, and then click
      OK.
    3. Locate the following registry subkey:
    4. Depending on your machine, it is either: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MobilePC\TMM or
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TMM
    5. Right-click the subkey, then, click Delete.
    6. When you are prompted to confirm the delete operation, click Yes.
    7. Exit the Registry Editor and reboot your machine.

Once you are back in, try to perform these steps to extend your display:

1. Open Screen Resolution by clicking the Start button ,
      Control Panel
      , and then, under Appearance and Personalization, click
      Adjust screen resolution.
    2. Click the drop-down list next to Multiple displays, click Extend these displays, and then click
      OK.

Note: The manual troubleshooting steps above tells you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection,
    back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, you can refer to this
    article.

Keep us updated.

Jay Jap, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Displaying on monitor with lower resolution looks bad if not using "extend these displays"...

1. Displaying on monitor with lower resolution looks bad if not using "extend these displays"... - Similar Threads - Displaying monitor lower

2. Extend monitor display pixelated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extend monitor display pixelated: I'm using TUF Gaming F15 and extend monitor is LG MP59G HDMI. On extend monitor, I can see a small white line in blue background, and on image, icon, every thing look like not smooth. I have setting resolution and frame rate recommended but it still like this. Please help me...
  3. Extend monitor display pixelated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extend monitor display pixelated: I'm using TUF Gaming F15 and extend monitor is LG MP59G HDMI. On extend monitor, I can see a small white line in blue background, and on image, icon, every thing look like not smooth. I have setting resolution and frame rate recommended but it still like this. Please help me...
  4. Issue in Extended display with different resolution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue in Extended display with different resolution: I am using Windows 11 Home Single Language Version 22H2. I am extending my laptop display of resolution 1080p with another monitor with resolution 1440p with extended display set as main display.When the laptop display and the extended display are turned off due to inactivity...
  5. Issue in Extended display with different resolution

Issue in Extended display with different resolution: I am using Windows 11 Home Single Language Version 22H2. I am extending my laptop display of resolution 1080p with another monitor with resolution 1440p with extended display set as main display.When the laptop display and the extended display are turned off due to inactivity...
  6. Extended display use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extended display use: Hello there ! i wish to extend my laptop screen with a 75 inch screen, where I want that in laptop i can use windows white board, a word file and a pdf while the external display only shows whiteboard.When it tried to do this, i am unable to see white board on both, it is...
  7. Extended display use

Extended display use: Hello there ! i wish to extend my laptop screen with a 75 inch screen, where I want that in laptop i can use windows white board, a word file and a pdf while the external display only shows whiteboard.When it tried to do this, i am unable to see white board on both, it is...
  8. Extending Monitor Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extending Monitor Display: I am using a television as a second monitor, but when I extend the display, it gives me a "not supported" box. The main monitor however is fine, but all the windows and icons disappear, and I am left with only the taskbar on the screen as if my main monitor has become the...
  9. Extending Monitor Display

Extending Monitor Display: I am using a television as a second monitor, but when I extend the display, it gives me a "not supported" box. The main monitor however is fine, but all the windows and icons disappear, and I am left with only the taskbar on the screen as if my main monitor has become the...
  10. New external monitor for laptop: "Duplicate display" looks normal, but "extended display"...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New external monitor for laptop: "Duplicate display" looks normal, but "extended display"...: New monitor is a Samsung UJ59, connected to a Lenovo using the HDMI port. Laptop has two graphics cards: built-in Intel 530, and an Nvidia Quadro m1000m. Extended Display was working fine for a while until I tried to change the resolution-- that's when the colors went bad. I...