Windows 10: Displaying photos in NAS is very slow

Discus and support Displaying photos in NAS is very slow in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I like the Photos app for managing my photos. Recently I moved all my photos to an NAS folder and added the network folder to the app's folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by frank0065, Dec 29, 2018.

1. frank0065 Win User

Displaying photos in NAS is very slow

I like the Photos app for managing my photos. Recently I moved all my photos to an NAS folder and added the network folder to the app's folder collection. But it appears the apps searches the folder in the NAS really slowly. I kept the app on for hours and overnight. It still cannot find and display all the photos. Any way to fix this?

:)

frank0065, Dec 29, 2018

2. NAS slow and clunky

Hey there, @copenhagen69

I think it might be a good idea to start the troubleshooting by testing the HDDs in your NAS using their brand-specific diagnostic tool or their status through the NAS dashboard interface.
    How big are the files you are dragging/dropping? Usually transferring a large amount of small files or copying GB-large files could significantly slow the transfer speed.
    I'd also suggest you to check the Network status of the NAS and make sure it shows 1000 Mbps. It could also be your Ethernet adapter, their speeds vary depending on the quality and line issues.
    If possible, you could also try using a Gigabit Ethernet Switch to improve the transfer rate within the whole local network (including your computers).

Keep us posted. *Smile Displaying photos in NAS is very slow :)
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Dec 29, 2018
  3. Photos on NAS not displaying in photos app.

I don't know if this is a bug or what but when I'm trying to view my photos on my NAS box not all of them appear. I have a few thousand photos I have stored on my NAS and have no problem viewing them through windows explorer so I do know they are there,
    I just want to use the photo app because it is more user friendly to view everything in a single window. This happens across multiple computers, as i first thought it was just the one. When I do add the network folder with its myriad of subfolders the collection
    view does start to populate the thumbnails, but after waiting hours(I even left the computer on for about a day) not all my photos appeared.

When I go into the folders view I can start go through all the subfolders but there are no images shown. All I get is an message in the folder stating that "No readable photos, videos, or folder found." What is even more strange I can see photos not only
    appearing in the collection view and I start to think its going to work, but then they even start to disappear randomly right before me. Any help or insight into this issue would be great.

Dmcollins57, Dec 29, 2018
  4. Gino Des Win User

Windows 10 & NAS Box

Hi Peter,

A few possible reasons can cause this issue. To help us identify the cause of this problem, we would like to know the following information:

• How is your NAS box connected to your computer? (Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or USB)
    • Are you using a program provided by the manufacturer of your NAS box to access it?
    • Do you receive any error messages when accessing your NAS box? If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you perform the solution provided by omiklik (Most Helpful Reply)
    in the following thread: Unable to see NAS drive on Network - Win 10 PC.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Dec 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Displaying photos in NAS is very slow - Similar Threads - Displaying photos NAS

2. File explorer, notepad, Photos - VERY SLOW

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer, notepad, Photos - VERY SLOW: Hi!I have a modern HP Spectre i7, 16gb ram and it used to work well until few months ago.For few months already whenever I try to open simple text file with notepad or mid size jpg image with photos it takes AGES to load usually I am waiting more than a minute with...
  3. File explorer, notepad, Photos - VERY SLOW

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer, notepad, Photos - VERY SLOW: Hi!I have a modern HP Spectre i7, 16gb ram and it used to work well until few months ago.For few months already whenever I try to open simple text file with notepad or mid size jpg image with photos it takes AGES to load usually I am waiting more than a minute with...
  4. Very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very slow: I am trying to downgrade my extremely slow windows 10 laptop to windows 7 but I got an error saying Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer and it even takes so long to startup and show my account and password box and when I type in my password...
  5. MS Photos Indexing - very slow and keeps stopping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Photos Indexing - very slow and keeps stopping: I'm trying to use search in MS Photos, but it seems stuck on over 80,000 items to index. Depsite being open since yesterday, it's only dropped from 86900 to 86626 items. ie less than 300 in 24 hours.Is there any way to force the indexing to run a bit faster, or continuously....
  6. MS Photos Indexing - very slow and keeps stopping

MS Photos Indexing - very slow and keeps stopping: I'm trying to use search in MS Photos, but it seems stuck on over 80,000 items to index. Depsite being open since yesterday, it's only dropped from 86900 to 86626 items. ie less than 300 in 24 hours.Is there any way to force the indexing to run a bit faster, or continuously....
  7. MS Photos Indexing - very slow and keeps stopping

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Photo's very slow

Photo's very slow: I have all my pictures organized on my PC these are family pictures over 60 years in directories per year, per month, per event. Pictures, of course, became bigger over the years. Since a couple of months an upgrade of W10 or Photo's????? opening a photo with photo's FOR...
  9. Photos App is Very Slow

Photos App is Very Slow: I don't know why, but sometimes the Photos app takes a few minutes to load. Why is it so slow? MsPaint never takes more than a couple seconds to load. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-is-very-slow/54e33a97-7436-4ed7-b315-59a7edc788f4
  10. Very slow loading of photos, GIFs and video?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow loading of photos, GIFs and video?: Is anyone else experiencing very slow loading of photos/images, especially higher resolution? Even simple GIFs, which previously required no loading time, now take two to several seconds to load. Videos, even low-res, which previously commenced playing instantly and...