Windows 10: Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer

Discus and support Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; For some reason I cannot get File Explorer in Windows 10 to display thumbnails of my .jpg files. That makes scanning through hundreds of photos very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Billb1111, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Billb1111 Win User

Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer

For some reason I cannot get File Explorer in Windows 10 to display thumbnails of my .jpg files. That makes scanning through hundreds of photos very tedious. I am using a desktop, a standard display monitor, manual keyboard, and mouse -- no touch screen.

I have done everything I have found on-line to no avail. Those efforts include:

• Going to Folder Options and ensuring that "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is unchecked...no change was necessary.
    • Making sure "Large Icons" are selected in the picture toolbar View tab
    • Clearing thumbnail cache as described on-line
    • And everything else which I no longer remember.

Some observations:

• A few of my photos do display as thumbnails, e.g., 1 or 2 in a folder of dozens, but the majority are just the large icon.
    • As one would expect, there are different icons for photos and videos.
    • Sometimes, but not always, if I open a photo, it will then display as a thumbnail.
    • In the folders where I have the photos saved, there is frequently a file labeled thumbs.db.
    • Occasionally, as I open a folder holding photos, for the "blink of an eye" thumbnails will display before the photos become icons.

Another curious observation is that when I attempt to change (rename) a file from a name with upper case letters to lower case, the change does not display after hitting enter, e.g., IMG_1234.JPG renamed as img_1234.jpg. The displayed file name below the icon stays in uppercase, but if I select "rename", it displays in lower case, but hitting enter still displays it in uppercase. This appears to be the case for all files, not just photos. Probably has nothing to do with the issue, but is curious nonetheless.

I am seeking any new suggestions as I am at my wit's end.

TIA,

Bill

:)

Billb1111, Sep 14, 2018
  2. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Sep 14, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 14, 2018
  4. NivDolgin Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer video thumbnail display problem

This is a "feature" and turning off Windows Explorer's "Always show icons, never thumbnails" feature worked for me - How you can fix it:

Step 1: Open up File Explorer. Click the File menu and then click
    Change folder and search options to open Folder Options. If a file is selected in the particular folder, you might see just Options instead of Change folder and search options. Clicking Options will also open Folder Options.

Step 2: Switch to the View tab. Under Advanced settings section,
    uncheck the option labelled
    Always show icons, never thumbnails, and then click Apply button to enable thumbnails in Windows Explorer.

Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer Thumbnails-now-showing-in-Windows-10-file-explorer-step4_thumb.png

NivDolgin, Sep 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer - Similar Threads - Displaying Thumbnails jpg

2. Only Windows Explorer can rename JPG file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only Windows Explorer can rename JPG file: I copied a bunch of JPG files from my camera's SD card onto a hard drive so I can edit them. But my editor (FastStone) will not let me save an edited file. I discovered that, for example, only Windows Explorer can make changes to these JPG files. Here's a screenshot of a...
  3. Opening JPG files?

in Browsers and Email
    Opening JPG files?: He guys! Just wondering if you can program windows to open up JPG image files via the Edge Browser? 14761
  4. Windows Explorer - thumbnails for JPG fail if over 10MB

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer - thumbnails for JPG fail if over 10MB: Recently windows started having a problem displaying thumbnails for JPGs. If I load a folder of images it shows them all for a moment, then swiftly changes loads of them to white blanks. A bit more investigating and I realise it's only for image files over 10MB. I'm a...
  5. Thumbnails disappear in File Explorer, then Explorer freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails disappear in File Explorer, then Explorer freezes: Hello, I noticed yesterday that after using File Explorer for a short while, it stops showing any thumbnails, and only shows a plain white icon, not even the default icon for a file type. I tried all the usual methods for showing thumbnails, but to no avail. Then, after...
  6. Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer: I've ran Disk Cleaner to delete the thumbnails. I've deleted the thumbnail caches via command prompt (Admin). I've gone through View/Options/View and made sure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" was not checked. And still, I cannot get thumbnails for my .mp4...
  7. Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in File Explorer in Windows 10: I'm not sure whether to post here or someplace else, because I'm not sure whether the issue is with W10 and this tutorial, or with my specific installation of W10. In Option Four, Step 1, I followed the link to the W7 tutorial, but I got stymied at Step 1. My Run dialog can't...
  8. Changing multiple files of '.file' to '.jpg'

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing multiple files of '.file' to '.jpg': Hi, How can I change multiple file of '.file' to '.jpg'. The icon that I get currently is a white icon and I want to be able to see the photos. Thank in advance *Smile 34312
  9. Preview Bar Displaying WRONG Thumbnails in the File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Preview Bar Displaying WRONG Thumbnails in the File Explorer: My laptop is displaying the wrong thumbnails after i upgrade to windows 10. When you open the file explorer and preview an file the next file your going to preview will be same thumbnail to the first one even the other files. Here s an video so i can explain well....
  10. No jpg file association ?

in Windows 10 Support
    No jpg file association ?: I double clicked on xxx.jpg and LibreOffice opened. I wanted to change the program to IrfanView. I went in through Start > search > associations. How could they screw that up ? 10703