Windows 10: Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer

Discus and support Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; For some reason I cannot get File Explorer in Windows 10 to display thumbnails of my .jpg files. That makes scanning through hundreds of photos very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Billb1111, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Billb1111 Win User

Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer

For some reason I cannot get File Explorer in Windows 10 to display thumbnails of my .jpg files. That makes scanning through hundreds of photos very tedious. I am using a desktop, a standard display monitor, manual keyboard, and mouse -- no touch screen.

I have done everything I have found on-line to no avail. Those efforts include:

• Going to Folder Options and ensuring that "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is unchecked...no change was necessary.
    • Making sure "Large Icons" are selected in the picture toolbar View tab
    • Clearing thumbnail cache as described on-line
    • And everything else which I no longer remember.

Some observations:

• A few of my photos do display as thumbnails, e.g., 1 or 2 in a folder of dozens, but the majority are just the large icon.
    • As one would expect, there are different icons for photos and videos.
    • Sometimes, but not always, if I open a photo, it will then display as a thumbnail.
    • In the folders where I have the photos saved, there is frequently a file labeled thumbs.db.
    • Occasionally, as I open a folder holding photos, for the "blink of an eye" thumbnails will display before the photos become icons.

Another curious observation is that when I attempt to change (rename) a file from a name with upper case letters to lower case, the change does not display after hitting enter, e.g., IMG_1234.JPG renamed as img_1234.jpg. The displayed file name below the icon stays in uppercase, but if I select "rename", it displays in lower case, but hitting enter still displays it in uppercase. This appears to be the case for all files, not just photos. Probably has nothing to do with the issue, but is curious nonetheless.

I am seeking any new suggestions as I am at my wit's end.

TIA,

Bill

:)

Billb1111, Sep 14, 2018
  2. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Sep 14, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 14, 2018
  4. NivDolgin Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer video thumbnail display problem

This is a "feature" and turning off Windows Explorer's "Always show icons, never thumbnails" feature worked for me - How you can fix it:

Step 1: Open up File Explorer. Click the File menu and then click
    Change folder and search options to open Folder Options. If a file is selected in the particular folder, you might see just Options instead of Change folder and search options. Clicking Options will also open Folder Options.

Step 2: Switch to the View tab. Under Advanced settings section,
    uncheck the option labelled
    Always show icons, never thumbnails, and then click Apply button to enable thumbnails in Windows Explorer.

Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer Thumbnails-now-showing-in-Windows-10-file-explorer-step4_thumb.png

NivDolgin, Sep 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer - Similar Threads - Displaying Thumbnails jpg

2. JPG thumbnails associated with Photoshop show Photos icon - no thumbnail in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    JPG thumbnails associated with Photoshop show Photos icon - no thumbnail in file explorer: In File Explorer I can't see a thumbnail preview of a JPG file. I see an icon for MS Photos. Screen shots attached. I have cleared the thumbnail cache. Older jpgs have thumbnails, but those jpgs I created today I can only see the icon. Preview will not view these new files....
  3. JPG thumbnails associated with Photoshop show Photos icon - no thumbnail in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    JPG thumbnails associated with Photoshop show Photos icon - no thumbnail in file explorer: In File Explorer I can't see a thumbnail preview of a JPG file. I see an icon for MS Photos. Screen shots attached. I have cleared the thumbnail cache. Older jpgs have thumbnails, but those jpgs I created today I can only see the icon. Preview will not view these new files....
  4. Windows Explorer not displaying "Titles" for some JPG files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer not displaying "Titles" for some JPG files: This has been bothering me for some time. When I open a Windows Explorer in one of my Photo folders the details view doesn't show all of the titles - see the three selected files in this image:...
  5. Windows Explorer not displaying "Titles" for some JPG files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer not displaying "Titles" for some JPG files: This has been bothering me for some time. When I open a Windows Explorer in one of my Photo folders the details view doesn't show all of the titles - see the three selected files in this image:...
  6. Windows Explorer not displaying "Titles" for some JPG files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Thumbnails missing, only for jpg files.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnails missing, only for jpg files.: That's a bit embarrasing. Most (but not all) of my jpg files (and just jpg files, movies, pdfs, etc, are ok) aren't generating thumbnails for themselves. Problem is it's almost impossible to troubleshoot this as anyone would, 'cause the internet is flooded with the same old...
  8. Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer

Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer: I recently bought a laptop with Windows 10, having decided to move away from Apple MacBook. This has proven to be a disaster. I use my laptop as I edit photos and graphic design content. However it is proving an impossible task to do this as all of my saved files won't...
  9. JPG Files in File Explorer

JPG Files in File Explorer: How can I change how Windows 10 opens a JPG file from File Explorer? I was using Paint Shop Pro X3 but it is an old version and not working anymore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jpg-files-in-file-explorer/65effe9c-6639-489d-ab52-ab34c62aa031
  10. Display File Thumbnails

Display File Thumbnails: Would someone tell me the simplest way to display thumbnails for video files on my computer, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-file-thumbnails/fd268c77-a087-43d3-b60b-e846d8253dd6"