Windows 10: DisplayPort monitor disconnects when waking

Discus and support DisplayPort monitor disconnects when waking in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I recently upgraded to a new monitor (MSI Optix G271) and wanted to take advantage of the 144Hz refresh rate, which my old video card (Radeon HD5850)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Mugen Power, May 4, 2021.

1. DisplayPort monitor disconnects when waking

I recently upgraded to a new monitor (MSI Optix G271) and wanted to take advantage of the 144Hz refresh rate, which my old video card (Radeon HD5850) can only support via DisplayPort. Everything works great except for the fact that whenever the monitor goes to sleep after inactivity, upon waking the display, it will disconnect and reconnect (you even hear the corresponding Windows sounds) and all active windows get resized and moved around. This doesn't happen with HDMI and from Googling a bit for the past few days, it looks like a common DisplayPort and Windows issue. I'm curious to know if anyone else has encountered this and has found a solution that doesn't involve installing 3rd party software. I have the latest graphics card driver (15.20.xxx) and software (Catalyst Control Center 15.7.1) installed but couldn't find any settings to prevent this from happening. Unfortunately, the card is so old that there isn't a newer version available. Windows version: 20H2, 64-bit Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD5850 Monitor: MSI Optix G271 Any help would be appreciated!

:)

Mugen Power, May 4, 2021

2. DisplayPort second monitor disconnects when it sleeps

Greg, please!

As I stated, this is a DisplayPort disfunction. It is not a sleep issue. A DisplayPort disconnects when it sleeps. Windows thinks that the monitor is disconnected. When it wakes up, it thinks it is a new monitor. This is very well documented. I did not ask
    for any help on that. I have spent days working with support from the video card and the monitor companies.

I ended up with a condescending 'Independent Advisor' with a God complex who insists on insulting me. I was very pleasant until you said 'Tony, I have no idea what you've tried if you don't tell me, so invested over
    an hour researching fixes that you now say you've tried.' Again, it had nothing to do with my request.

I would suggest that you reread this conversation.

You have called me uncooperative, cantankerous, and unfriendly. Because of this mistreatment I have reported you as abusive.

TonyBeecher, May 4, 2021
  3. DisplayPort monitor disconnects when waking

I recently upgraded to a new monitor (MSI Optix G271) and wanted to take advantage of the 144Hz refresh rate, which my old video card (Radeon HD5850) can only support via DisplayPort. Everything works great except for the fact that whenever the monitor goes to sleep after inactivity, upon waking the display, it will disconnect and reconnect (you even hear the corresponding Windows sounds) and all active windows get resized and moved around.

This doesn't happen with HDMI and from Googling a bit for the past few days, it looks like a common DisplayPort and Windows issue. I'm curious to know if anyone else has encountered this and has found a solution that doesn't involve installing 3rd party software.

I have the latest graphics card driver (15.20.xxx) and software (Catalyst Control Center 15.7.1) installed but couldn't find any settings to prevent this from happening. Unfortunately, the card is so old that there isn't a newer version available.

Windows version: 20H2, 64-bit
    Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD5850
    Monitor: MSI Optix G271

Any help would be appreciated!

Mugen Power, May 4, 2021
  4. DisplayPort monitor disconnects when waking

DisplayPort second monitor disconnects when it sleeps

I have 2 monitors, an HDMI and a DisplayPort. It seems that, by design, the DisplayPort disconnects when it sleeps. This causes all of the open windows on that monitor move to the HDMI monitor (because the DP monitor no longer exists). The only solution
    is to not put the monitors to sleep.

Is there any preferred setting for keeping a monitor on 24/7/365? Should I put up a black screen saver? If not what can I do to not burn out my monitors by having them on. I also don't want them bright all night long.

2 new HP PCs

2 Acer ET322QU monitors on each

1 HDMI - 1 DisplayPort

TonyBeecher, May 4, 2021
Thema:

DisplayPort monitor disconnects when waking

1. DisplayPort monitor disconnects when waking - Similar Threads - DisplayPort monitor disconnects

2. Monitors connected through DisplayPort get detected as 'disconnected' when turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitors connected through DisplayPort get detected as 'disconnected' when turned off: On a multi-monitor setup, if a monitor is connected via a DisplayPort cable and that monitor is physically turned off, Windows thinks that the monitor has been disconnected and therefore moves all windows and desktop icons to another monitor. This annoying behavior is...
  3. Monitors connected through DisplayPort get detected as 'disconnected' when turned off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitors connected through DisplayPort get detected as 'disconnected' when turned off: On a multi-monitor setup, if a monitor is connected via a DisplayPort cable and that monitor is physically turned off, Windows thinks that the monitor has been disconnected and therefore moves all windows and desktop icons to another monitor. This annoying behavior is...
  4. Monitors connected through DisplayPort get detected as 'disconnected' when turned off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Disconnecting/connecting and shuffling icons/windows when multiple monitors wake from...

Disconnecting/connecting and shuffling icons/windows when multiple monitors wake from...: I've seen many topics on this and similar very issues with multiple monitors connected through DisplayPort. Here is a short video showing my exact issue - ASUS VG27AQ & PHILIPS 253V7LJAB waking from standby PHILIPS monitor on the left and ASUS on the right. The PHILIPS...
  6. DisplayPort Monitor issues

DisplayPort Monitor issues: Hello, I have two Samsung Monitors connected to my PC. One monitor uses HDMI and I have the second connected to DisplayPort both streaming 1080p. My issue is that after shutting my computer down, the monitor connected to the DisplayPort does not end up being recognized...
  7. DisplayPort second monitor disconnects when it sleeps

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DisplayPort second monitor disconnects when it sleeps: I have 2 monitors, an HDMI and a DisplayPort. It seems that, by design, the DisplayPort disconnects when it sleeps. This causes all of the open windows on that monitor move to the HDMI monitor because the DP monitor no longer exists. The only solution is to not put the...
  8. DisplayPort behaves like it's been disconnected for a split-second after waking from sleep,...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DisplayPort behaves like it's been disconnected for a split-second after waking from sleep,...: I am not the first person to have this problem, but solutions I've found in other threads did not work for me. I have several monitors, and just added a new DisplayPort one to use as Primary. If I manually power off/sleep my PC, no problems with windows/display arrangement....
  9. install 2nd monitor though displayport

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    install 2nd monitor though displayport: 2nd monitor doesn't get signal from pc. pc doesn't detect monitor thru displayport. both monitors work thru vga port but not displayport. How to tell if dispayport is working properly?...
  10. Displayport Adaptor once plug in, wifi is disconnected.

Displayport Adaptor once plug in, wifi is disconnected.: Ok, So Im trying to run a second monitor so I bought a display-port adapter. Now as soon as it's plug it in, the internet is cutt. No idea why, I just spend hours trying to figure out why and install drivers and playing around to only find out it's some poorly coded part of...