Windows 10: DisplayPort second monitor disconnects when it sleeps

Discus and support DisplayPort second monitor disconnects when it sleeps in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have 2 monitors, an HDMI and a DisplayPort. It seems that, by design, the DisplayPort disconnects when it sleeps. This causes all of the open windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by TonyBeecher, Aug 5, 2020.

1. DisplayPort second monitor disconnects when it sleeps

I have 2 monitors, an HDMI and a DisplayPort. It seems that, by design, the DisplayPort disconnects when it sleeps. This causes all of the open windows on that monitor move to the HDMI monitor because the DP monitor no longer exists. The only solution is to not put the monitors to sleep.

Is there any preferred setting for keeping a monitor on 24/7/365? Should I put up a black screen saver? If not what can I do to not burn out my monitors by having them on. I also don't want them bright all night long.

2 new HP PCs
    2 Acer ET322QU monitors on each

1 HDMI - 1 DisplayPort

:)

TonyBeecher, Aug 5, 2020

2. Windows 10 does not recognise second monitor

Hi Raffaele,

For us to sort out this problem with your dual monitors, we'd like to gather more information about what happened so we can address the issue appropriately. Below are a few questions we'd like to ask:

• Does the monitor on the laptop work if you disconnect the other monitor?
    • Is the second monitor connected to the laptop using a DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort cable?

While waiting for your feedback, we suggest that you disconnect the second monitor from the laptop and check if its own monitor is working. If not, restart the laptop and check again.

Update us with the result.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Aug 5, 2020
  3. Andrey_VI Win User
    Fall creators update Displayport monitor won't go to sleep

Same issue after today's update to 1709 version: monitor won't go to sleep after configured time or after Win + L.

My configuration:

• Intel HD Graphics 3000 (driver version 9.17.10.4459)
    • Monitor connected via DisplayPort
    • Sleep disabled
    • Screen are set to turn off after 10 minutes
    Please help to fix this!

Andrey_VI, Aug 5, 2020
  4. DisplayPort second monitor disconnects when it sleeps

Windows 10 does not recognise second monitor

• Does the monitor on the laptop work if you disconnect the other monitor?
      • No. It only works if I disable the driver so that it reverts to the Basic Microsoft driver. But then it will not connect to the external monitor.
      • Driver details for Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
        • Driver version: 21.20.16.4505
        • Driver date: 19/08/2016

• I also tried to update this driver to no avail so I rolled it back.
    • Is the second monitor connected to the laptop using a DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort cable?
      • It is connected via an HDMI cable.

• Is it possible that the update/roll back process left remnants of the program in the Registry etc and these are interacting in a way to stop the proper functioning the graphics? Just a thought. When I did the update it asked me if I wanted it installed in
      the existing drivers folder? I said yes. Was this the right thing to do?
    • When I disconnected the screen as you asked the laptop display remained blank. Restarting had no effect. As I said above, at the moment the only way I can activate the laptop display is disable the Intel driver and revert to the Microsoft Basic Driver but
      then I can't connect to the external screen.

Raffaele2100, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

DisplayPort second monitor disconnects when it sleeps

1. DisplayPort second monitor disconnects when it sleeps - Similar Threads - DisplayPort second monitor

2. Problems with second monitor with HDMI to DisplayPort converter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with second monitor with HDMI to DisplayPort converter: Hi, I have a problem with my computer trying to use a second monitor. I have a RX6650 xt and I'm trying to use a second monitor using a HDMI to DisplayPort converter. The monitor shows de BIOS image when de pc starts and even shows the BIOS setup but when Windows initiate it...
  3. Problems with second monitor with HDMI to DisplayPort converter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with second monitor with HDMI to DisplayPort converter: Hi, I have a problem with my computer trying to use a second monitor. I have a RX6650 xt and I'm trying to use a second monitor using a HDMI to DisplayPort converter. The monitor shows de BIOS image when de pc starts and even shows the BIOS setup but when Windows initiate it...
  4. Displayport monitor never goes to sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Displayport monitor never goes to sleep.: Hey,I recently updated to Windows 11, and I have the weirdest glitch since.I have 2 monitors, connected to a Nvidia 2060, one on DVI 1080p@60Hz, another one on DisplayPort 1080p@144Hz/HDR/GSync.All sleep modes on windows are disable, except the Screen timeout, which should...
  5. Displayport monitor never goes to sleep.

Displayport monitor never goes to sleep.: Hey,I recently updated to Windows 11, and I have the weirdest glitch since.I have 2 monitors, connected to a Nvidia 2060, one on DVI 1080p@60Hz, another one on DisplayPort 1080p@144Hz/HDR/GSync.All sleep modes on windows are disable, except the Screen timeout, which should...
  6. Windows DisplayPort external monitor sleep rearrange

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows DisplayPort external monitor sleep rearrange: I'm talking about this https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/avoid-unexpected-app-rearrangement/many articles have been written about this but meanwhile things still don't workI tried joining the Insider Program, but it didn't offer me any new updates. I feel like that...
  7. Windows DisplayPort external monitor sleep rearrange

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows DisplayPort external monitor sleep rearrange: I'm talking about this https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/avoid-unexpected-app-rearrangement/many articles have been written about this but meanwhile things still don't workI tried joining the Insider Program, but it didn't offer me any new updates. I feel like that...
  8. Windows DisplayPort external monitor sleep rearrange

9. DisplayPort monitor disconnects when waking

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    DisplayPort monitor disconnects when waking: I recently upgraded to a new monitor (MSI Optix G271) and wanted to take advantage of the 144Hz refresh rate, which my old video card (Radeon HD5850) can only support via DisplayPort. Everything works great except for the fact that whenever the monitor goes to sleep after...
  10. DisplayPort behaves like it's been disconnected for a split-second after waking from sleep,...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DisplayPort behaves like it's been disconnected for a split-second after waking from sleep,...: I am not the first person to have this problem, but solutions I've found in other threads did not work for me. I have several monitors, and just added a new DisplayPort one to use as Primary. If I manually power off/sleep my PC, no problems with windows/display arrangement....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. monitor disconnected and connecting windows sleep displayport