Windows 10: Displays turn black momentarily

Discus and support Displays turn black momentarily in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My wife's PC, which is about 3-4 years old has been running fine after we upgraded to Windows 10 a couple of months ago. This is a general office-level... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by UserError, Jun 8, 2020.

1. UserError Win User

Displays turn black momentarily

My wife's PC, which is about 3-4 years old has been running fine after we upgraded to Windows 10 a couple of months ago. This is a general office-level PC, nothing at all flash other than plenty of RAM - 16gb, with integrated graphics & VGA+DVI monitors. Version is probably 1909 Build 18363.836 but can't check as she's working from the live linux ATM, trying to get some work out.

About a week or so, she experienced an odd behaviour when one of her displays went black when she clicked on it. It then was OK on reboot. However, in the last few days, both monitors go black for a moment, then return. Whatever is running in the background - audio, keystrokes etc- carries on and resumes as if nothing happens. You also hear a click from the speakers.
    I tried putting in an old graphics card, but it still happens so I put the video cables back on the integrated ports.

I then tried running from a live Linux USB & it is stable, which points the finger at Windows, presumably some update has broken something? Any ideas where to start looking would be appreciated.
    Many thanks.

:)

UserError, Jun 8, 2020

2. Issue with black screen, dual display, ATI Integrated GPU

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to go to device manager and disable the display drivers, check whether the issue persists or not.

• Press Windows + X keys and click
      Device manager.
    • Click to expand Display adapters, right click the second adapter and click
      Disable.
    • Restart the computer and check whether the issue persists or not.
    • Repeat the same steps to disable the first display adapter and check if it helps.

If you find the issue is with anyone of the display adapters then, I suggest you to update the display drivers from the manufactures website for Windows 10 and check if it helps.

Method 2: I suggest you to follow the steps form the below article for
    “Black Screen” issues and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Jun 8, 2020
  3. jorog(2) Win User
    Display does not turn off when pc is idle

Just did all the suggestions. Did not work. Display does not turn off.

This issue was from the beginning when I downloaded Win 10. I had Win 8.1 and the display always turned off as I set it.

My pc is HP Pavilion Touchsmart 23 all-in-one. According to "checking for updated drivers on display and monitors", I always get the response that the drivers currently installed are the correct ones.

jorog(2), Jun 8, 2020
  4. Displays turn black momentarily

Preparing automatic repair - black screen asus laptop

Hi,

In most cases, this issue is caused by a corrupted system file. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we'll be needing additional information:

• Is there an error code displayed when the screen turns black?
    • Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided on this
    article. It contains information and resolution about black screen errors.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

Displays turn black momentarily

1. Displays turn black momentarily - Similar Threads - Displays turn black

2. Display flickering black when turned on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display flickering black when turned on: Hi so I have been having this problem with my laptop, everytime when my laptop is shut down and turned back on when I move my mouse cursor the screen starts flickering black something like this https://streamable.com/gqeh38, but after a quick restart it seems to be fixed but...
  3. Display flickering black when turned on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display flickering black when turned on: Hi so I have been having this problem with my laptop, everytime when my laptop is shut down and turned back on when I move my mouse cursor the screen starts flickering black something like this https://streamable.com/gqeh38, but after a quick restart it seems to be fixed but...
  4. Screen turns off momentarily every 5 seconds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen turns off momentarily every 5 seconds: I installed new driver for my cpu and now it turns off for like .5 seconds and I can't do anything other thank open the stupid radeon gaming and task manager cpu is amd a8 6410I can restart but that does nothing, and I can't open settingsI've doneWIN+r opens but can't do...
  5. Screen turns off momentarily every 5 seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen turns off momentarily every 5 seconds: I installed new driver for my cpu and now it turns of for like .5 seconds and I can't do anything other thank open the stupid radeon gaming and task manager cpu is amd a8 6410I can restart but that does nothing, and I can't open settingsI've doneWIN+r opens but can't do...
  6. Screen turns off momentarily every 5 seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen turns off momentarily every 5 seconds: I installed new driver for my cpu and now it turns of for like .5 seconds and I can't do anything other thank open the stupid radeon gaming and task manager cpu is amd a8 6410I can restart but that does nothing, and I can't open settingsI've doneWIN+r opens but can't do...
  7. Is there a fix for the media OSD turning the monitor off momentarily?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a fix for the media OSD turning the monitor off momentarily?: I know it's a huge issue and i was able to solve it once by rerolling the title update but my windows updated again and i missed the roll back window... :( Would love any help. submitted by /u/Skylink87 [link] [comments]...
  8. Displays turn black momentarily

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Displays turn black momentarily: My wife's PC, which is about 3-4 years old has been running fine after we upgraded to Windows 10 a couple of months ago. This is a general office-level PC, nothing at all flash other than plenty of RAM - 16gb, with integrated graphics & VGA+DVI monitors. Version is probably...
  9. sound automatically turns on momentarily

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sound automatically turns on momentarily: At random moments the sound turns itself on for a moment or two then stops. Setting for computer sounds is off. HP desktop, Windows 10, IE11 & Edge browsers...
  10. my display turns black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my display turns black: hello guys this problem started appearing 1 week ago while i was playing game my display turned black i thought it was normal at first but it started to occur more often.I asked one of my friend for help and he told me to run stress test to see if any of the components...