Windows 10: Dissapointed but not suprised.

Discus and support Dissapointed but not suprised. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Microsoft does not need to make these changes to the OS (it's called marketing). Heck, XP users are still having a good time with their machines and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mousegolf, Nov 21, 2014.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

Dissapointed but not suprised.

Yeah, let's not change anything. It's better to to do as is always done, no use to get anything new. We don't need new.

Who needs these big wide screen displays with millions of colors, the 14 inch 4 to 3 EGA display from 1981 when IBM PC was introduced is good enough. Windows 3 worked well, why on earth has MS decided to change it time after time introducing new bells and whistles? Who needs several gigabytes of RAM, the IBM PC had 384 KB and it worked well. Why do we ever developed modern broadband systems when the connections worked well using the phone line and a 2.400 baud modem?

Please MS and PC manufacturers, please do never change anything, do not evolve your products. Let us just use the old systems as we have always used. Yeah right. And why do we need modern cars. Ramses II was hapyy with this one, it did the job.

Dissapointed but not suprised. [​IMG]

2. BunnyJ New Member

I understand what you are saying, but that statement is not quite correct. From 7 to 8 we moved into a completely different world which is ruled now by tablets and phones. MS has to provide an interface that is suitable for those devices.

The could have, of course, seperated the OS for the portable devices from the OS for PCs. But that is a very expensive proposition. Maintaining 2 seperate OS is extremely expensive if you want to keep them halfway in sync as far as the functions are concerned. I have been there and know that it is a nightmare. This.. YES! Maintaining two of anything in software development is just terrifying. I know all to well. That's why the current trend toward OOP(Object Oriented Programming) is all the rage. By minimizing the amount of code that must be updated and tested makes the development/maintenance cycle so much easier. OH and more cost effective for MS and other companies in the long run. Many current languages such as Java,Python,C++,C# are firmly based in OOP and it makes their use easier, IMO

BunnyJ, Nov 29, 2014
  3. CountMike New Member
    What ??? No seat belts, standing room only and 2 horsepower ?

CountMike, Nov 29, 2014
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

OOP is really nothing new. We used it for mainframe programming in the 80s.

5. WHS
    whs Win User
    But you have air - although it is not in a bag.

6. BunnyJ New Member
    Cool.. I never used it when I was working. Just used COBOL and that didn't support OOP.

BunnyJ, Nov 29, 2014
  7. CountMike New Member
    But you have air - although it is not in a bag. Yeah, that reminds me of my last 1966 Mercury pickup, had "2/100" type air conditioner (2 open windows. 100MpH).

CountMike, Nov 29, 2014
  8. groze Win User

It is really two expensive to make alternative operating system? Actually having the same operating system across multiple devices won't work some systems are embedded. Some don't want embedded system because that restricts what 3rd party software you can use. Look at Linux they have multiple choices and multi desktop and some are interchangeable and most are free.

groze, Nov 29, 2014
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    And that is one reason why Linux has less than 2% of the market. Finding the right distro and desktop is a lifetime adventure. It tool me more than 5 years to settle on Mint Mate after trying many other options.

Plus those are all different development groups that need not make any money. The end result is very different operating systems - e.g. compare Fedora to Ubuntu.

10. groze Win User
    And that is one reason why Linux has less than 2% of the market. Finding the right distro and desktop is a lifetime adventure. It tool me more than 5 years to settle on Mint Mate after trying many other options.

Plus those are all different development groups that need not make any money. The end result is very different operating systems - e.g. compare Fedora to Ubuntu. I would of agreed with you that it takes forever but things have vastly improved. I dual boot with windows 7 and Lubuntu. I found the distro that fits me and my system. I use Lubuntu installed with xcfe4 & wine installed. I tried a lot of Linux distos. I do like Fedora as well but prefer Lubuntu. I run Linux total on logical partitions including the swap partition. It also easier to reinstall windows without having to delete the Linux partitions but with Macrium I don't need to do that anymore.

You can make fedora look like ubuntu as well as other distro. Most Linux has their own default desktops but you can usually install other desktops real easy using apt-get or similar tool.

groze, Nov 29, 2014
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    I know. Linux has really nice options. But that is the problem. Laypeople like Joe and Mary cannot deal with that.

It's like my new (2 1/2 year old) car. It came with a user manual of 568 pages plus 200 extra pages only for the radio. I have the car in the third year and I have yet to discover at least half of the functions and buttons. Sometimes I hit something and strange things happen. Once I even got stuck on an intersection. For me that is not progress.

12. groze Win User
    I got a newer used car, insurance claim (Not my fault). I still haven't figure out how to turn on the hazard lights. I need to read up on that but just haven't had the time. Yes, I know how to drive *Smile. Some cars have weirdo ways to turn on hazard lights and even headlights.

groze, Nov 29, 2014
  13. Dissapointed but not suprised.

Jody Thornton, Nov 29, 2014
  14. WHS
    whs Win User

15. Tony K Win User
    Groze, I'm not referring to any speed problem so far as hardware and resources are concerned. Windows 7 ran pretty quick and stable, although it was after MS released MSE with Defender shortly into 7 release that it really made a big difference because third party AV ate up most of the 2GBs of RAM. Spent many an hour performing my business and consumption tasks on this thing. So much so that I’m quite surprised this thing continues to run at all. I’m talking thousands of hours for both work and consumption. Besides a recent PSU replacement, this thing purrs along. I’m somewhat holding onto this thing to prove a point about the lean OSs MS is releasing.

There’s no doubt that Windows 7 is a good, stable OS. A little high on system maintenance time, but overall a good OS. What I’m mainly speaking of is the navigational structure and conveying personal or business data of the 8.1 OS itself. How one gathers data and navigates in performing tasks to get work done. The touch-centric Modern aspect of it has brought a whole new dimension of computing to the table. Some will totally scoff at this, but I say different. Some will say that it’s merely a “consumption” OS. To that I say BS. We’ll start with this: The Real Quality Boot Time of 8 Verses 7

Admittedly the Modern Store apps were absolutely worthless in W8 RP, but by the time of RTM with updates they were at most decent. By the time we got to 8.1 they are a joy to work with. Now with their larger live tiles being able to see more info, they are even better. The main Modern apps of Mail, People, Calendar, Photos, OneDrive, OneNote, Maps, and Weather really do fit a business model. At least I know in the construction industry they do. All working in conjunction of one another via Charms, especially Share.

e.g. Upon boot to the Start Screen at a glance I can see who has emailed me with their subject matter, see current weather conditions, news headlines, appointments in Calendar, etc. I can therefore prioritize and decide a plan of attack for the moment or for the day. This is all laid out in front of me on the Modern Start Screen via live tiles. Some of this data can be changed or dealt with via a similar mobile device. Having used Windows 7 for 4 years (and prior OSs for 15) pounding away at a business I can attest that the 8.1 system is much quicker at performing tasks than 7 will ever hope to be. The only time I use the desktop portal is to open Office apps, a construction estimating program, Snipping Tool, Command Prompt, occasionally File Explorer > otherwise I use OneDrive app, and a few others. I found a slew of good Store apps to replace desktop apps.

Just a hunch that very few members here have really sat down at a PC to really ever do some “real work” business wise for any real length of time. I’m talking the likes of (or similar) to a few Office apps (I use mostly Excel and Word), Modern IE with multiple tabs open for researching prices of various supply houses, tabs for accounts, a Modern Notepad, estimating program, Modern calculator, Reader for PDF blueprint files, and existing Excel spreadsheet files to reference past construction projects, all to create an estimate and offer a proposal for a construction project. And if one is granted the project, one must come up with a contract to be signed by both parties. Sometimes I draw project plans, which takes some time.

Then there’s the IT pros. I’m somewhat ignorant in this, so I’m asking. I’m not saying it’s not a difficult job, but how many of you sit at a PC for 2, 4, 8 hours at a time performing business-like tasks? I can imagine there’s a lot of keyboarding with configurations, communications, and filling out records, but using the overall navigation of the system? I’m quite sure you’re not using Modern Store apps to do your work tasks. *Wink

Bottom line is that I nor anyone else can prove one system is quicker than the other so far as performing “real work” until there is a scientific work study performed and the results of that study. Obviously MS thought it was quicker. I simply agree.

Tony K, Nov 29, 2014
Thema:

1. Dissapointed but not suprised. - Similar Threads - Dissapointed suprised

2. Used PC Invoice for For Windows and Suprise: Volume MAK Licence

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Used PC Invoice for For Windows and Suprise: Volume MAK Licence: Hello I have probably really strange question.Four Years ago I bought a PC with as was listed in the offer WINDOWS 10 PRO Invoices for parts included.The seller send me Invoices for the parts I bought and on one of these there was Windows 10 pro listed. PC was preinstalled...
  3. Used PC Invoice for For Windows and Suprise: Volume MAK Licence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Used PC Invoice for For Windows and Suprise: Volume MAK Licence: Hello I have probably really strange question.Four Years ago I bought a PC with as was listed in the offer WINDOWS 10 PRO Invoices for parts included.The seller send me Invoices for the parts I bought and on one of these there was Windows 10 pro listed. PC was preinstalled...
  4. Used PC Invoice for For Windows and Suprise: Volume MAK Licence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Very Dissapointed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Very Dissapointed: So here I am again, In my previous post and I did not recieve any response, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inaccesible-computer-after-windows-update/955dee85-2dbb-4989-8417-afabdf325301 When I try to login in my account I cannot access it anymore...
  6. dissapointment

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dissapointment: i just thought you guys stood by your word when you told somebody something,the tech i spoke with an hour ago told me he would take care of me not to worry iv been stuck with windows 7 since day one and he told me out of kindness you guys would set me up with windows 10...
  7. Windows 10 very dissapointing

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 very dissapointing: Hi I bought a Mac when in the early days when Win 3.1 was out, I gave it away to my best mate because I couldn't do what I wanted to on the Mac machine. Since then W95, 98, ME, Vista, 7, have increasingly been harder to set up what I want to do, actually Vista was...
  8. Suprise Removed-1Tb WD harddrive disappeared

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Suprise Removed-1Tb WD harddrive disappeared: The activity was within Photoshop CC 2015.5, duplicated layers and applying object move. The .psd is a large file 450Mb and then I had duplicated a layer group so the size likely increased more. The Scratch Disk was the 1Tb Wd drive( Drive I) Photoshop stopped responding, did...