Windows 10: Dissapointed but not suprised.

Discus and support Dissapointed but not suprised. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just a hunch that very few members here have really sat down at a PC to really ever do some “real work” business wise for any real length of time. I’m... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mousegolf, Nov 21, 2014.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Dissapointed but not suprised.

BunnyJ, Nov 30, 2014
  2. Edwin New Member

I just got back from my Windows 7 partition, which is on the front end of the same disk I'm on now, and trust me..., it's slow! *Wink

Edwin, Nov 30, 2014
  3. WHS
    whs Win User
    Is it really the OS that's slow or is it the disk that is slow. I just bought a new HP 17" laptop for the wife. It has good specs - A8 quad CPU. 6GB of RAM, but that 5400 RPM HDD really slows it down. I can't wait for the SSD that I ordered for it to arrive.

Those buggers make it more and more difficult to switch the disk. There are no more disk bays. You have to remove the whole back panel to get at it.

4. CountMike New Member

I can tell you from first hand experience that disk is a most "guilty party" in OS responsiveness and apparent speed of it. I installed absolutely same version of W8.1 on an older 5400rpm HDD as on SSD in order to try W10tp upgrade. So W8.1 was as fresh as it could be, a clean install with same drivers as main one on SSD. The difference is staggering. Boot is 3 times longer on HDD, programs installed on SSD open immediately. FF for instance opens in less than a second from SSD and 5 seconds from HDD. MS Publisher almost as fast from SSD together with a document while from HDD at takes what seems like forever. You can actually see a document opening, just like it's downloading from internet, while from SSD it just appears on screen.
    After working from SSD for a while and than switching to HDD it makes me wander how did I ever get along with slow HDD ever. It's still just a matter of few seconds of difference which arguably should not be a big deal but the impression of speedup is amazing.

CountMike, Nov 30, 2014
  5. Wenda Win User
    Yes, that's the bottle-neck with the super-lappy, its 5400rpm C: drive.

After Xmas, though, I'll be removing one of the two 750gb spinners and replacing with an SSD drive, IF I can get a decent sized one (256gb minimum) at a reasonable price. I'm going to toss another 8gb of RAM into it at the same time, and I should get a few more years out of it before I need to upgrade.

Wenda, Nov 30, 2014
  6. Tony K Win User
    I have a good friend that works IT. Started as a network engineer and worked his way up to management, so I know somewhat what goes on, but I don’t really know that field via experience.

In my hay day I’ve sat at my PC on some weekends 8 or 10 hours performing plan takeoffs, estimating, and bidding taking occasional breaks, but I can’t imagine sitting at it on a daily basis. That would drive me nuts.

Lol! All I understood was “More pay!” *Biggrin Hang Que? JCL?

As a suggestion > You may want to take groze out of your post’s quote. *Wink

Tony K, Nov 30, 2014
  7. Tony K Win User
    I just got back from my Windows 7 partition, which is on the front end of the same disk I'm on now, and trust me..., it's slow! I’ll take your word for it. *Smile I just noticed that you haven’t filled out your system specs, Edwin. *Huh

While my system was down I used my daughter’s laptop with 7 on it. Although I spent 4 years with 7 knowing it well, it seemed awkward navigating it.

Tony K, Nov 30, 2014
  8. Edwin New Member

I just got back from my Windows 7 partition, which is on the front end of the same disk I'm on now, and trust me..., it's slow! I’ll take your word for it. *Smile I just noticed that you haven’t filled out your system specs, . *Huh

While my system was down I used my daughter’s laptop with 7 on it. Although I spent 4 years with 7 knowing it well, it seemed awkward navigating it. No system specs cuz right now I don't have a system!!!*Confused
    (Hate posting from tablet!)

Edwin, Nov 30, 2014
  9. Likely depends on the manufacturer and the size of the laptop. My ASUS laptop has a removable panel for hard drive access, just 3 screws. It's big though, 17.3 inch screen, full sized keyboard and has dual drive bays. On my Wife's slim Acer laptop you have to remove the whole back cover. About 20 Something screws. If you've never done this before watch out for different length screws. If you put a long one in where there was a short one you could damage something. Look out for some that may be hidden under the rubber feet or a sticker. I hate it when they do that. *Mad

alphanumeric, Nov 30, 2014
  10. I just got back from my Windows 7 partition, which is on the front end of the same disk I'm on now, and trust me..., it's slow! I’ll take your word for it. *Smile I just noticed that you haven’t filled out your system specs, Edwin. *Huh

While my system was down I used my daughter’s laptop with 7 on it. Although I spent 4 years with 7 knowing it well, it seemed awkward navigating it. lol, same thing happened to me recently. I was fixing a PC for a friend that was running Windows 7. I had a few moments where I had to think for a second or two about where something was. I also used Windows 7 for many years. *Smile

alphanumeric, Nov 30, 2014
    WightWalker, Nov 30, 2014
  12. Laptops are horrible to use.

I really hate those scratchpad things. *Mad

I normally "push" stuff to my laptop from my desktop (over the network) rather than try to "pull" stuff from the desktop using the laptop.

lehnerus2000, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dissapointed but not suprised. - Similar Threads - Dissapointed suprised

2. Used PC Invoice for For Windows and Suprise: Volume MAK Licence

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Used PC Invoice for For Windows and Suprise: Volume MAK Licence: Hello I have probably really strange question.Four Years ago I bought a PC with as was listed in the offer WINDOWS 10 PRO Invoices for parts included.The seller send me Invoices for the parts I bought and on one of these there was Windows 10 pro listed. PC was preinstalled...
  3. Used PC Invoice for For Windows and Suprise: Volume MAK Licence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Used PC Invoice for For Windows and Suprise: Volume MAK Licence: Hello I have probably really strange question.Four Years ago I bought a PC with as was listed in the offer WINDOWS 10 PRO Invoices for parts included.The seller send me Invoices for the parts I bought and on one of these there was Windows 10 pro listed. PC was preinstalled...
  4. Used PC Invoice for For Windows and Suprise: Volume MAK Licence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Very Dissapointed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Very Dissapointed: So here I am again, In my previous post and I did not recieve any response, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inaccesible-computer-after-windows-update/955dee85-2dbb-4989-8417-afabdf325301 When I try to login in my account I cannot access it anymore...
  6. dissapointment

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dissapointment: i just thought you guys stood by your word when you told somebody something,the tech i spoke with an hour ago told me he would take care of me not to worry iv been stuck with windows 7 since day one and he told me out of kindness you guys would set me up with windows 10...
  7. Windows 10 very dissapointing

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 very dissapointing: Hi I bought a Mac when in the early days when Win 3.1 was out, I gave it away to my best mate because I couldn't do what I wanted to on the Mac machine. Since then W95, 98, ME, Vista, 7, have increasingly been harder to set up what I want to do, actually Vista was...
  8. Suprise Removed-1Tb WD harddrive disappeared

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Suprise Removed-1Tb WD harddrive disappeared: The activity was within Photoshop CC 2015.5, duplicated layers and applying object move. The .psd is a large file 450Mb and then I had duplicated a layer group so the size likely increased more. The Scratch Disk was the 1Tb Wd drive( Drive I) Photoshop stopped responding, did...