Windows 10: Distie put wrong version of W10 on my machine

Discus and support Distie put wrong version of W10 on my machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A distributor built a machine for me and I asked for Windows 10 Professional 64bit I did not notice when it arrived that he had installed W10 Home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Simon Templar 251, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Distie put wrong version of W10 on my machine

A distributor built a machine for me and I asked for Windows 10 Professional 64bit

I did not notice when it arrived that he had installed W10 Home but given me the OEM licence key for Pro.

I spent 3.5 hours installing the clients software and setting up the machine and do not want to start again with a fresh install.

Is there a way that I can upgrade this unactivated Windows 10 Home install to Windows 10 Pro that I legally bought a key for? They key is on the machine.

Thanks

Steve

:)

Simon Templar 251, Sep 14, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

Please get a cup of coffee, lean back and think an answer for these two questions. Take your time, then check the answers below the questions:

Questions:
    1. If you do a clean install of let's say Windows 10 Insider Build 10525 on a totally new computer which has never had an activated Windows 10 on it, does it activate?
    2. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 Insider Build on a computer where the underlying Windows 10, upgraded from a qualifying old operating system has already been activated, does it activate?

Answers:
    1. No, of course not.
    2. Yes, of course.

Why do you think that a virtual machine would make any difference? You have tried to install Windows 10 on a totally new machine which has never had an activated Windows 10 installed, therefore the Microsoft activation servers block the activation due invalid machine ID. In the highlighted part in below quote you admit your mistake yourself, plain and simple, yet you when doing this wrong draw conclusion that even if done correctly it would not work:

What you have tried is essentially the same as if you took a brand new real physical PC without any operating system, which has never had any operating system, and then installed Windows 10 Insider Preview wondering why it does not activate! Virtual Machines behave exactly the same way; if you want to clean install Windows 10 Insider Preview and get it activated you must do it on an existing virtual machine, one which has already had an upgraded Windows 10 activated. This "computer", the virtual machine, its machine ID is marked on activation servers as valid and activated and it will of course activate.

Be it a virtual machine or a physical computer, you cannot activate a clean installed Windows 10 Insider Preview on a totally new machine. How difficult can this be to understand?

When clean installing Windows 10 Insider Preview on a computer which has already had a previous Windows 10 Insider activated, you do not use the product key! It will be asked twice, once before the installation starts and once after the last reboot to OOBE phase. In both cases you skip the product key and your Windows will be automatically activated.

3. Issues with W10 Mail App

Hi Frank,

To guide you in the right direction, let us know the following:

• Did you add your fsnet.co.uk (POP3) address as an additional account in W10 Mail App?
    I suggest you to remove the account and re-add it.

I suggest you to try the steps provided in the link below and check.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/remove-account

Please get back to us with the required information, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Sep 14, 2020
  4. groze Win User

Distie put wrong version of W10 on my machine

Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

@Kari

You can do clean install with windows 10 but it won't activate on Virtual Machine at least it didn't on mine. I followed the proper steps to do that.

Again I will repeat what I did step by step with some additions.

Step 1 Installed windows 7 retail on a virtual box, it activated without issue.
    Step 2 changed the virtual box description to windows 10
    Step 3 upgrade to windows 10 and it activated without issue
    Step 4 backed up (So I could go back to it later)
    Step 5 Removed windows 10.
    Step 6 created a new virtual machine
    Step 7 Installed clean windows 10 and it didn't activate and did that error code see below.

@night-hawk had a similar issue and got the same error code

Error code: 0xC004C003 with the specified product key being blocked

Night Hawk does it make a difference on what version of Virtual box that you are using?

My testing was done on Xubuntu using VirtualBox Graphical user interface version 4.3.26-Ubuntu r98988

groze, Sep 14, 2020
Thema:

Distie put wrong version of W10 on my machine

1. Distie put wrong version of W10 on my machine - Similar Threads - Distie put wrong

2. Wrong Version . . .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong Version . . .: I've been trying to download, Windows 10 home version. But whenever I do it it's the pro version!I don't know, if I'm not licensed for it? But all I know, after installing pro. It says, "Activate" Windows!I want to put, the installation media. On my USB drive.So please give...
  3. Wrong Version . . .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong Version . . .: I've been trying to download, Windows 10 home version. But whenever I do it it's the pro version!I don't know, if I'm not licensed for it? But all I know, after installing pro. It says, "Activate" Windows!I want to put, the installation media. On my USB drive.So please give...
  4. Wrong Version . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. copying w10 to a new machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    copying w10 to a new machine: I seem to recall a license for W10 allowing you to place the OS on two devices at once.My old machine is temporarily inaccessible and I have a new laptop I'd like to set up with the platform. How can I do this?...
  6. W10 ssd in new machine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W10 ssd in new machine: Im getting a new system and putting my old ssd in the new system as the os drive. Do i need to reinstall Windows ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-ssd-in-new-machine/7e9d7623-86bb-4b2d-bc93-d89eef82d0c5
  7. Put my operating system on the wrong drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Put my operating system on the wrong drive.: I recently upgraded windows 10 on my pc and thought I had to put it on my HDD. Is there any way for me to migrate just the os system to a smaller SSD or am I better to just do a clean install on the SSD and start from scratch again on my HDD?...
  8. Put the wrong email ⁰P

in Windows 10 Customization
    Put the wrong email ⁰P: So I did a factory reset on my computer and when inwas setting it up, I forgot a letter in my email. Is there a way were I can reset it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/put-the-wrong-email-p/72b37ae2-5b76-4e4c-a956-5ac1b5253227
  9. Booting issues with w10 machine

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting issues with w10 machine: Hi Last year a bought a new machine. I also ordered a w10 copy but when I got the machine it was already installed. The very first night I booted it it refused to shut down with some error (can't remember which one) and I had to use system restore. This happened 3 times in...
  10. Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean W10 install on an OEM W10 machine: My new Dell Inspiron laptop should arrive this coming Monday. I've been doing some research on doing a clean install. I read where MS won't activate a fresh install over an OEM key. So my Dell with OEM W10 will be activated as such and if I understand correctly if I download...