Windows 10: distinguishing Windows version / build and black screen

Discus and support distinguishing Windows version / build and black screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Two identical computer hardware configurations were upgraded to Windows 1909. Computer 1 displays a black screen in safe mode and on the top center... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zbook, Nov 25, 2019.

1. zbook Win User

distinguishing Windows version / build and black screen

Two identical computer hardware configurations were upgraded to Windows 1909.

Computer 1 displays a black screen in safe mode and on the top center displays:
    Microsoft (R) Windows (R) (Build 18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)

Computer 2 displays a normal desktop with winver displaying version 1909 (OS Build 18363.476)

Computer 1 had had a Windows 10 iso downloaded to the desktop and an upgrade using setup.exe

1) how come computer 1 is not displaying the same build as computer 2?

2) what can be done so that both display the same build?

3) Computer 1 displays a black screen: how can this be troubleshooted?

:)

zbook, Nov 25, 2019

2. black screen

Hi Ken,

Black screen usually occurs to a Windows device if the system detected that there are some damaged drivers. For us to provide an effective solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows is installed on your computer?
    • Have you made any changes to the hardware of the PC before this issue occurred?
    • Did you encounter any error messages or error codes along with the black screen?

In the meantime, we suggest that you perform the troubleshooting steps provided in this
    link. The link serves as a guide on how to address black screen issue.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Nov 25, 2019
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Black screen after 'Starting Windows' sequence

Sounds like the old... windows black screen of death.

Try this quoted from "VisiHow" article "Repair Windows 7 Black Screen of Death":

They, also, have some other options there, too.
    Google search and you will find a lot of the "Windows Black Screen of Death with cursor" fixes.

95Viper, Nov 25, 2019
  4. distinguishing Windows version / build and black screen

Windows ten black screen and icon rearrangement.

Hi,

There are different factors that can contribute as to why you're getting a black screen on your Windows 10 computer after your sign in. This could be caused by a recent update that was installed or system files that got corrupted. For us to resolve your
    concern, kindly answer the questions below:

• Were there any recent changes made or updates installed on your computer prior to the issue occurring?
    • Since you mentioned that you have completed a couple of troubleshooting steps, we would like to confirm if you have attempted to start your computer in safe mode?
    • Which version and build of Windows 10 do you have installed?

As an initial recommendation, we suggest that you follow the steps available on this

link
    to troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors on Windows 10. The support article we provided covers the most common methods to correct any issues that may cause the blank screen or black screen error to occur.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Nov 25, 2019
Thema:

distinguishing Windows version / build and black screen

1. distinguishing Windows version / build and black screen - Similar Threads - distinguishing version build

2. Black screen after loggin, windows update 20h2 build 19042.804

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after loggin, windows update 20h2 build 19042.804: We're updating selected user to update 20h2 build 19042.804 before we rollout to all the users. Many are experiencing the following : Start Logging Windows hangs after 2-23 seconds, black screen, and mouse is working. Now we tested some, what we found is the following :...
  3. Black screen bug - Windows 10 Build. 19042.685

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen bug - Windows 10 Build. 19042.685: After 17 PM, I got Black Screen, how to fix or is it bug? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-bug-windows-10-build-19042685/44594028-c0d3-47f9-a3e4-02df33cb308e
  4. Black screen bug - Windows 10 Build. 19042.681

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen bug - Windows 10 Build. 19042.681: After 17 PM, I got Black Screen, how to fix or is it bug? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-bug-windows-10-build-19042681/44594028-c0d3-47f9-a3e4-02df33cb308e
  5. Windows 10 Version 1909 update to Version 2004 Black Screen issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Version 1909 update to Version 2004 Black Screen issue: Last week updated Win 10 to Version 2004. PC hasn't worked issue free since then but got around it until today. Powered up PC this morning Had closed down normally the day before screen remained black, absolutely zero activity. Have tried spare working screen and other cables...
  6. Black screen after logging in on new windows 10 version

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after logging in on new windows 10 version: My PC isn’t compatible with the new window 10 version, however when I last turned it off it automatically updated now whenever I try to boot after logging on it only displays a black screen with a cursor, I have tried to revert to a previous version of Windows 10 by opening...
  7. after upgrading windows 10 to version 2004 is black screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    after upgrading windows 10 to version 2004 is black screen: HI After I upgradewindows 10 from version 1909 to version 2004 OS19041.264 take to long to login,and the is a black screen,i foece to shotdown siveral times my laptop until was able to boot and login why this is hapen? some sing wrong with the new version of windows 10/...
  8. Freezes and Black/Blue Screen - 1903 Build 18362.270

in Windows 10 Support
    Freezes and Black/Blue Screen - 1903 Build 18362.270: Hi, my computer will run normally for hours then randomly freeze and the screens will lose input signal and the HDD LED on my case will begin blinking. The computer does not recover, only a hard reboot brings it back. In Reliability Monitor I usually get a Hardware Error and...
  9. Help needed distinguishing this icon!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help needed distinguishing this icon!: okay so i accidentally changed the srt. file icon by opening it with a app i no longer use and i need your help to figure out what it was. i don't know if it was a default but i'd like it back to how i had it. here's a picture example, maybe someone will recognize it. the...
  10. Build Version History

in Windows 10 Support
    Build Version History: Stumbled on this while looking for a registry key. Shows the history of all the version updates you've done on your machine. This is for x64, but there is probably something like it for x86. Navigate to the key or search your current version number (WINVER from cmd line or...