Windows 10: Distributed processing in Windows 10? Is it possible?

Discus and support Distributed processing in Windows 10? Is it possible? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello! Most of us have at least 2 computers connected at the home network. Is it possible to make them cooperate for resource-demanding tasks such... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by spapakons, Mar 21, 2016.

1. spapakons Win User

Distributed processing in Windows 10? Is it possible?

Hello!

Most of us have at least 2 computers connected at the home network. Is it possible to make them cooperate for resource-demanding tasks such as HD video editing? If I get the term right, I think this is called Distributed Processing. So is there any software or whatever that can use 2 or more computers connected at the same network to work in parallel and finish the job faster? The job can be for example HD video editing. For a typical 90 minute movie, my main PC (see my specs) has to work overnight to create an AVHCD-DVD version from the initial MKV video. Let alone the time wasted if I want to edit and normalize the soundtrack first. It would be a good idea to get my secondary computer and even my notebook to help done faster. Is that possible? How? It depends on the application used, or is there a way to apply it for any application? All computers will be connected to the same router/switch with cable to maximize the network bandwidth. I hope a typical 10/100 switch is enough and I won't have to buy a gigabit switch.

Thank you in advance.

PS: One last question... do all the computers have to run Windows 10? What if one of them is running Windows 7?

:)

spapakons, Mar 21, 2016
  2. Abi99 (2) Win User

What is the distribution process of a WP8 update?

Mhm. According to the
    availability webpage
    , you should get Lumia Denim. However, in the Software Recovery Tool, Lumia Denim is not available for your Lumia 925 Orange Romania, yet. However, your firmware variant (059T7Z3) is the SIM-Locked variant. Because I am an end-user like
    you, I cannot double-check if there is a non-SIM-Locked firmware variant and which firmware version that has. Furthermore, I do not know the current version for the Microsoft over-the-air servers – the recovery tool is using a different database.

Actually, you do not have to worry about the distribution process because you cannot change anything about that at all. Either the phone notifies you about an update or not. In the world of Microsoft Mobile, there is no need to bully the phone, the operator,
    or Microsoft Mobile themselves. The process is so intransparent even internally for these parties, all you can do it wait and see.

Anyway, hopefully a employee see this thread and double-checks the files for this firmware variant (there are thousand of firmware files, each model, type, region, operator, and color). Something is wrong in your case, because the availability page states
    you should have the update already.

Abi99 (2), Mar 21, 2016
  3. Abi99 (2) Win User
    What is the distribution process of a WP8 update?

In the Software Recovery Tool, what is your 7-letter code (Product Code: 059…)? No Windows computer
    or USB: The same code is printed on your phone. That code determines your firmware variant which determines your current version. Then, hopefully a Microsoft employee is able to check what is up with that variant.

Abi99 (2), Mar 21, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Distributed processing is a viable concept, but only for some application types. That would be for situations where the individual computers could operate semi independently with minimal communication between them required. Few applications fit that requirement. The problem is that with most applications the added processing power of a second computer would be overwhelmed by the overhead of network communication, even with a very fast network. The second computer would be a burden to performance, not an aid. That would seem to be the case with video editing.

LMiller7, Mar 21, 2016
  5. spapakons Win User
    Hello!

Thank you for your reply. I think you are correct for operations that can be done quickly using a single fast computer (i3 or faster), but editing HD video is not that fast, so I don't think the network speed would cause delays. Is there any application that can split a process between two or more networked computers? Alternatively, is there any video editing application that can be configured for distributed processing (less likely, I think) ?

Just a thought: In NVidia graphics cards you can use CUDA acceleration in supported applications.
    Question 1: Is there any way to force CUDA to applications that not have native support for it? (Is there any CUDA wrapper?)
    Question 2: Is there a CUDA equivalent for Intel HD graphics? What it is? How it is used?
    Question 3: Is there a way to use OpenCL to applications that not have native support for it? (Is there any OpenCL wrapper?)

Thank you again.

spapakons, Mar 22, 2016
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    I don't believe there is any application for distributed processing of video files, nor do I believe such exists. I stand by my statements about the overhead involved. I don't have any practical experience with video editing, distributed or otherwise, but I have been an amateur programmer for more than 35 years and know quite a bit about how software works. That is what my statements are based on.

I can't help you with the other questions.

LMiller7, Mar 22, 2016
  7. spapakons Win User
    That's OK. Thanks. I guess my best bet is to use my faster computer with an application that allows CUDA or other acceleration and leave my slower computer doing other simpler tasks.

spapakons, Mar 22, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

That would be nice if it could work. Video editing, specially compositing can nail an 8 core FX 8350 @5 GHz to 100% usage.

CountMike, Mar 22, 2016
  9. Mystere Win User
    Typically, the application itself has to support distributed processing. This is not something done at the OS level.

Mystere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Distributed processing in Windows 10? Is it possible? - Similar Threads - Distributed processing possible

2. Distribution Groups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Distribution Groups: Hi,Got Exchange 365,and distribution groups that are: On-premises & in cloudHow to clean distribution groups both type from deleted accounts, and disabled users?Thanks, Gil....
  3. Distribution Groups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Distribution Groups: Hi,Got Exchange 365,and distribution groups that are: On-premises & in cloudHow to clean distribution groups both type from deleted accounts, and disabled users?Thanks, Gil....
  4. Distributing unlicensed windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Distributing unlicensed windows: Hello. The software solution I am developing needs to be distributed together with the operating system as it's meant for computers that do not usually have any sort of peripherals. The idea is that we would distribute a wim file that has windows 10 + our software. The...
  5. creating distribution lists in Windows 10 Mail

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    creating distribution lists in Windows 10 Mail: I was searching for help with creating email distribution lists in Windows 10 Mail, and what I was pointed to was a thread that was started in 2015 or 2016 --- I can't believe you haven't fixed this yet! Do you have a solution yet?...
  6. Processes possible Virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Processes possible Virus: Hello, I have a process running on my computer running Win. 7 64 bit I never seen before and it is called Ended.exe *32 and I can find nothng on google about it? all it keeps trying to tell me is how to end a process! Anyone know anything about this? and is it a virus?...
  7. Expand distribution lists in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Expand distribution lists in Windows 10: In my previous version of Windows, if I needed to delete a name or two from a distribution list I could hit the little + sign and it would expand the list allowing me to selectively delete names. In Windows 10, the little + sign is gone - how do I do this without having to...
  8. Looping at sign-in process on Windows 10 - login not possible

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Looping at sign-in process on Windows 10 - login not possible: What happend: I tried to connect to my pc via remote desktop - normally it worked. But last time (yesterday) I got a blue screen. After that crash, I can't log in. Windows comes up, but screen is flickering and looping at the sign-in process. I've just made a video of...
  9. Distribute updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Distribute updates: Have a computer with three hard drives installed,all running Windows10 Pro. All the drives are controlled with a shutoff switch. So at any time you can chose a different drive to run, for example Husband,Wife,Son have there own drive. If husband does a windows update,is there...
  10. Windows 10 and Distributed Link Tracking

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 and Distributed Link Tracking: Under Win 7 I am almost certain that the DLT service DID NOT repair LNK files if the target was on a removable drive! But under Win 10 it appears that the DLT service DOES repair LNK files if the target is on a removable drive! Is anyone aware if and where this is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. distributed processing windows 10