Windows 10: DLL Files containing icons

Discus and support DLL Files containing icons in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm rebuilding my Win10 desktop after recovering from a failure to boot. I've used GOOGLE to obtain a list of DLL files that hold icons. They're... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jim Giglio 81 - gmail, Jul 10, 2019.

1. DLL Files containing icons

I'm rebuilding my Win10 desktop after recovering from a failure to boot. I've used GOOGLE to obtain a list of DLL files that hold icons. They're located in the "system32" folder, along with HUNDREDS of other DLL files that DON'T hold icons, and whose names make no sense whatever (the names of the icon-containing DLL's also make no sense whatever).

You'd think that common sense would require a unique folder (like "Icon Holders") into which the icon-containing DLL's would be held. But common sense doesn't seem to be relevant here. I've tried creating the folder I envision(in the "system32" folder and putting copies of the icon-holding files into it. But when I go into the "change icon" procedure and browse to one of the relevant DLL files, I get a message informing me that the file in question contains no icons.

This is simply insane; why does this happen? putting a copy of a file into another folder should not change it.

:)

Jim Giglio 81 - gmail, Jul 10, 2019

2. *.dll files associated with other file in Windows7

Yes the icon. No instability noticed at all, however I still can't get my "gadgets" to work, and they have a .dll file.

TechnicalFreak, Jul 10, 2019
  3. Sasqui Win User
    *.dll files associated with other file in Windows7

Are you talking about the icon for .dll files?

They are usually tied to a specific executable through the registry... have you been tweeking your system, or noticed any instability lately, pointing to memory or HDD data corruption?

Sasqui, Jul 10, 2019
  4. LemP Win User

DLL Files containing icons

Icons on shortcuts

1. Right-click the shortcut.
    2. Select "Properties."
    3. Click the "Change icon" button on the "Shortcut" tab.
    4. Browse to the *.ico file (or *.dll or *.exe file containing icons).
    5. Select the icon from those displayed.
    6. Click OK

Thema:

DLL Files containing icons

1. DLL Files containing icons - Similar Threads - DLL Files containing

2. List of Win 10 system files that contain icons.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    List of Win 10 system files that contain icons.: For example for changing the icons for folder shortcuts and the like. Perhaps some will find this useful. c:\windows\system32\imageres.dll c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll c:\windows\system32\pifmgr.dll c:\windows\explorer.exe c:\windows\system32\accessibilitycpl.dll...
  3. .dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    .dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error: Hey, so I have been getting this error with quite a few different DLLs including InstallService.dll D3D12CORE.dll and SystemSettingsThresholdAdminFlowUI.dll as well as many others. I'm not sure if this is relevant but I have,Ryzen 5 3600Gigabyte B550MOne 1TB HDD and one 1TB...
  4. Folder icons. Are there other dll's than c:\windows\system\shell32.dll containing folder icons?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder icons. Are there other dll's than c:\windows\system\shell32.dll containing folder icons?: Are there other dll's than c:\windows\system\shell32.dll containing folder icons?I used another another one several years ago but have forgotten the name :-...
  5. About recent changes to the locations and content of dll files contain

in Windows 10 Support
    About recent changes to the locations and content of dll files contain: Hi, Can anyone tell me which .dll this icon is in? https://i.imgur.com/JSQXQSd.png it isn't in the pnidui.dll Thanks 169391
  6. What's the dll file for "general icons" in Customizer God?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What's the dll file for "general icons" in Customizer God?: I think the title says all but if you need more info just ask :) I'm on windows 10 1903 155044
  7. DLL. Icon file replacing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DLL. Icon file replacing: Hello all, i have a question about MS Visual Studio and DLL. files. i have a handful of original, straight from the files, Windows XP application icons. i googled around a little and found where they were stored on Win10. is there a quick and easy way or just basically a way...
  8. Windows 10 - DLL fles that contain iIcons

Windows 10 - DLL fles that contain iIcons: I have a list of files (in system32) that are supposed to contan icons. M$, in its infinite wisdom, chose to place these files in the "system 32" folder, in alpha order with HUNDREDS of other DLL files. I chose to exercise a little common sense, and created a separate folder...
  9. msvcp120.dll / msvcr120.dll is either not designed to run on Wondows or it contains an error.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    msvcp120.dll / msvcr120.dll is either not designed to run on Wondows or it contains an error.: After upgrading to windows 10 1903, error messages pop up at re-start or running certain software, saying " msvcp120.dll / msvcr120.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error..... Error status 0x000012f". Before upgrading (win10 1809), there was no...
  10. Custom icon front-back for folders containing files

Custom icon front-back for folders containing files: Greetings, Through editing the registry i replaced the default icon for general folders, it applies with empty folders and non-big-icon views (as suggested in some old guide): [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons] ; Folder...