Windows 10: dmw.exe and Nvidia Optimus Technology: are there any indicators as to which progams are...

Discus and support dmw.exe and Nvidia Optimus Technology: are there any indicators as to which progams are... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Just had a long talk to both Nvidia and Microsoft Support. The problem is that dmw.exe (desktop window manager) hugs onto some programs and games... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by yinyie, Jun 4, 2019.

1. yinyie Win User

dmw.exe and Nvidia Optimus Technology: are there any indicators as to which progams are...

Just had a long talk to both Nvidia and Microsoft Support.

The problem is that dmw.exe (desktop window manager) hugs onto some programs and games after tabbing out or running the program in windowed mode for mobile graphics cards of the nvidia m series (eg 870m in my case)

dmw.exe runs on the internl (onboard) card while the program its displaying runs on the dedicated card. This "hugging" of dmw.exe causes massive performance losses for the executed program.

Both Microsoft and Nvidia support Staff i talked to figured the only way to solve this issue would be to enter BIOS and change the primary graphics card to the dedicated one / disable the onboard card completely.

Here enters NVIDIA Optimus Technology (meant to optimize power usage and taking control of the graphics cards away from the user), this fix is impossible and probably a bug on nvidias side (some AAA titles i played suffered from the problem, so yay)

Currently however im learning / teaching myself to program which means i have at least some influence on the program thats being executed and am wondering if theres any way to fix the issue by flagging the program to not be influenced by dmw.

Any shots? Unfortunately neither Nvidia nor the Microsoft Support Person(thumbs up by the way to both of them, tried their best and took their time!) i talked to could tell me what exactly in the nature of a program determines wether it has the issue or not.

:)

yinyie, Jun 4, 2019

2. Windows 10 and Nvidia Optimus issue

some update about this issue, as confirm by others it seems the latest driver 365.10 from nvidia already fixed the nvidia optimus with windows 10 problem.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...70979/#4870979

janice1234, Jun 4, 2019
  3. bwDraco Win User
    NVIDIA Optimus: Find out what is using my laptop's discrete GPU

My laptop has NVIDIA Optimus technology, which seamlessly switches between the integrated graphics and NVIDIA discrete GPU to provide an optimal balance between battery life and performance. There is an LED indicator on my laptop that indicates when the discrete GPU is on.

However, some unknown app causes the discrete GPU light to turn on even though I haven't launched a game or other GPU-intensive app.

How do I find out what app is using the discrete GPU so that it doesn't suck down limited battery power?

The laptop runs Windows 10 Pro v1511 64-bit.

bwDraco, Jun 4, 2019
  4. dmw.exe and Nvidia Optimus Technology: are there any indicators as to which progams are...

Nvidia Optimus introduced

Hmmmm. What do you guys think?

Source with pics.

TheMailMan78, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

dmw.exe and Nvidia Optimus Technology: are there any indicators as to which progams are...

1. dmw.exe and Nvidia Optimus Technology: are there any indicators as to which progams are... - Similar Threads - dmw exe Nvidia

2. NVIDIA optimus trouble

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NVIDIA optimus trouble: NVIDIA optimus forces the use of Intel GPUs in lightweight games such as Minecraft It forces my Minecraft to run at 30~40 FPS and not play properly. What I have tried- Reinstall Windows. Reinstall Intel & Nvidia GPU using DDU Reinstall Minecraft Nvidia control panel & windows...
  3. NVIDIA optimus trouble

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVIDIA optimus trouble: NVIDIA optimus forces the use of Intel GPUs in lightweight games such as Minecraft It forces my Minecraft to run at 30~40 FPS and not play properly. What I have tried- Reinstall Windows. Reinstall Intel & Nvidia GPU using DDU Reinstall Minecraft Nvidia control panel & windows...
  4. NVIDIA optimus trouble

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Nvidia Optimus lights on/off like a christmas tree, any workaround ?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Nvidia Optimus lights on/off like a christmas tree, any workaround ?: Dear forum readers, I recently got a new MSI laptop (GP76 10UG). As is now usual with Nvidia-equipped hardware, this thing has Optimus. However, yet again, the dGPU switches on from time to time for no apparent reason. While it's not very often, it's still too much since I'm...
  6. Is it possible to have nVIDIA Optimus in a desktop?

Is it possible to have nVIDIA Optimus in a desktop?: Hi, I have an msi Z390 motherboard and an i5-9600K, with the integrated iGPU Intel UHD 630. I am going to buy a GTX 2060, but it consumes way more power than the Intel iGPU, even for idling/browsing. I've had notebooks in the past and there was this thing called "nVIDIA...
  7. NVIDIA Optimus for Desktop PCs

NVIDIA Optimus for Desktop PCs: Hi I have an iGPU and dGPU in my desktop PC. I want to have the NVIDIA Optimus Configuration where the iGPU works for normal browsing and surfing tasks, and dGPU kicks in when doing GPU intensive tasks i.e. gaming, video editing, AI programs. I have plugged my display into...
  8. Any progam named 'setup' not opening

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Any progam named 'setup' not opening: Whenever i try to run any program named detup nothing happens. I even tried running it as administrator but again the same thing . But if i change the program name to '.setup' or 'Rsetup' or anything else except 'setup' then it works . But if the setup file is on an cd drive...
  9. Nvidia Optimus & Adobe Acrobat

Nvidia Optimus & Adobe Acrobat: I have a dell precision 7710 laptop. It has a Quadro M5000M. In NVidia Control Panel I have adobe Acrobat DC to use the Quadro card, but on the task bar, the Quadro Activity icon does not show acrobat using the Quadro. If I run Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom, Photoshop...
  10. Windows 10 and Nvidia Optimus issue

Windows 10 and Nvidia Optimus issue: after upgrade to windows 10, did anyone notice that nvidia optimus is not working properly as it keep switching between discrete and integrated graphic even for some simple thing like open action center. this has cause graphic shuttering and lag for windows GUI. i can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 dmw or graphic card

2. desktop windows manager Nvidia Optimus Technology