Windows 10: DNS Client allowed by firewall rule, but still get blocked

Discus and support DNS Client allowed by firewall rule, but still get blocked in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, First; I am using Binisoft/Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control as frontend for Windows Firewall. My problem is that I allowed DNS Client to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GormTheOld, May 20, 2020.

1. DNS Client allowed by firewall rule, but still get blocked

Hi,

First; I am using Binisoft/Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control as frontend for Windows Firewall.

My problem is that I allowed DNS Client to local gateway with UDP on port 53, but still for some reason it is being blocked. When opening the log window in Windows Firewall Control it says 'Blocked'.

The name of the rule was set automatically to DNS Client, but as service I notice in the log that DNS Client is reported with Dnscache as service, but in the rules dialog box there is no Dnscache in the Services drop down menu.

I am not sure if what I wrote in previous paragraph is of any significance, but my initial question would be if there is any other service that also have to be allowed with outbound rule to make DNS Client work? I have a pretty strict rule set, so nothing get out by coincidence.

Could someone please help me out?

Thank you,

Windows 10 Pro 1909

:)

GormTheOld, May 20, 2020
  2. mike1127 Win User

firewall rule to block addresses NOT on an IP list?

I am just starting to learn the Windows Firewall (working on both Windows 7 and 10) and I'm not impressed with the inflexibility of its rules. I would like to know if

1. Is there is a way to do what I want with Windows Firewall?
    2. Is there is a third-party firewall that would do it?

What I want to do is create a rule that blocks outgoing connections, for program X, that are to a destination **NOT** in an IP list.

Windows Firewall is not very flexible in how you specify IP list rules. When you give an IP list, your rule will match that list... you can't say "trigger the rule for non-matching IP addresses." Therefore to allow outgoing connections to a list, you have to

1. Change the entire firewall policy to block outgoing connections by default so that you can create an "allow rule" matching your list. This will mess up the rest of your programs.

2. Somehow combine a block rule and allow rule. Create a block rule for most traffic, with the "allow" rule overriding it when appropriate. However, this doesn't appear to be possible in general. It **may** be possible for connections that use IPSec, I'm not sure. And I'm not sure if I can use IPSec in my application.

And is there a third-party firewall that can do it? Most 3rd-party firewalls are LESS sophisticated than Windows Firewall, because the use case they are addressing is providing an interface that doesn't require much comprehension. I need one that's actually MORE sophisticated than Windows Firewall.

mike1127, May 20, 2020
  3. TwuTu Win User
    Windows Firewall: Doesn't show blocking rules

Hello!

Today I've blocked all connections of a program by creating a outbound rule in Windows Firewall. However, I now wish to remove it. The problem: I can't find that newly created rule anywhere in the list. The rule does take an effect, since deactivating the
    Firewall lets the program run properly. I can only see rules in the list that "allow" stuff, but not those who block things.

What I have tried so far:

- All filters set to "Show all" within the Firewall

- Created the same rule again, doesn't show up

- Created a rule that allows the program, shows up

Any solutions?

TwuTu, May 20, 2020
  4. DNS Client allowed by firewall rule, but still get blocked

Inbound Firewall Rule that Blocks

Code:
    Please help me understand how the 2 Inbound Rules created by MMC actually operate.

Action, Enabled, Service, Program,                     Protocol

Block,  Yes,     Any,     C:\windows\system32\mmc.exe, TCP

Block,  Yes,     Any,     C:\windows\system32\mmc.exe, UDP
    If these 2 rules were Outbound Rules, I'd say that client process 'mmc.exe' is blocked.

But applying equivalent logic (that 'mmc.exe' is blocked) to Inbound Rules doesn't make sense -- why would 'mmc.exe' (which created these Rules) block itself?

What (somewhat) makes sense is that 'mmc.exe' is a requester, and that these rules block all TCP & UDP datagrams & all processes.

If so, then there's quite a difference between Outbound & Inbound Rules.

In Outbound Rules, 'Program' specifies the target (the process that's blocked), whereas in Inbound Rules, 'Program' specifies the requester (the process that provokes blocking).

This is crucial reasoning because, if correct, then, as a consequence, every process is the target of Inbound Rules that Block.

What about Inbound Rules that Allow? I've always assumed that an Inbound+Allow means the specified 'Program' installs a listener (i.e., has handler(s) for the specified socket(s)).

I think that's pretty straightforward.

I've read what Microsoft provides and it's grossly inadequate -- what a surprise, eh?

Microsoft documentation presents only trivial explanation of how to complete the fields (example: "Type the path to the program in the text box"), or the tutorial's scope is limited (example: "On the Action page, select Allow the connection, and then click
     Next" -- no mention of "Block the connection").

Other web hits are just plain wrong (examples: "Program – Block or allow a program"; "Program - creates rule that controls connections for an app or program"; "if you are downloading a file through BitTorrent, the download of that file is filtered through an
     inbound rule" -- Rules control connections, not streams) or show ridiculous cases (example: "I want to block all outgoing connections on port 80").
    Does anyone know of an architectural reference or guidebook that explains how Firewall Rules are implemented in a running system?
    Warm Regards -- Mark.

MarkFilipak.Windows, May 20, 2020
Thema:

DNS Client allowed by firewall rule, but still get blocked

1. DNS Client allowed by firewall rule, but still get blocked - Similar Threads - DNS Client allowed

2. Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store: Hi,We have our firewall set to block all traffic, what addresses can we add to the firewall to allow access to Microsoft Store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-rules-to-allow-microsoft-store/b65afe65-536e-4355-9794-16ccdedc1be3
  3. Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store: Hi,We have our firewall set to block all traffic, what addresses can we add to the firewall to allow access to Microsoft Store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-rules-to-allow-microsoft-store/b65afe65-536e-4355-9794-16ccdedc1be3
  4. Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Firewall rule(s) to allow all traffic through the firewall?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Firewall rule(s) to allow all traffic through the firewall?: I'm tired of seeing the message that my firewall is disabled all the time. Is there a simply rule or rules that I can apply to the firewall that will allow all traffic to flow both ways? I have a hardware firewall that keeps the network safe, so the Windows firewall isn't...
  6. How do I create Firewall rule that allows LAN and blocks internet?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I create Firewall rule that allows LAN and blocks internet?: I want to create a firewall rule that allows a game executable to have lan access so I can play a lan game with my kid over my home network while blocking internet access. I am using windows firewall on windows 10 1803. 126065
  7. WIN10 Firewall Rules - found 70 different DNS Forwarding Rules? - VIRUS or?

WIN10 Firewall Rules - found 70 different DNS Forwarding Rules? - VIRUS or?: Hello, while investigating a problem in Windows 10 - which is now solved and solution is unrelated to this question - I checked the list of Exceptions in the Windows Firewall. Among the many entries there are 70 different DNS Forwarding Rule - TCP -...
  8. Inbound Firewall Rule that Blocks

in Windows 10 Customization
    Inbound Firewall Rule that Blocks: Please help me understand how the 2 Inbound Rules created by MMC actually operate. Action, Enabled, Service, Program, Protocol Block, Yes, Any, C:\windows\system32\mmc.exe, TCP Block, Yes, Any, C:\windows\system32\mmc.exe, UDP If these...
  9. Smartscreen blocked by firewall - how to add rule to allow?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Smartscreen blocked by firewall - how to add rule to allow?: Hello I have my firewall configured to block outbound connections that don't meet a rule. Although there are the default rules for Smartscreen still enabled, smartscreen still gives it's error message "Windows smartscreen can't be reached right now". If I enable all outbound...
  10. Firewall rule to allow /24

Firewall rule to allow /24: Is it possible to use this notation in a firewall rule? I am having issues with homegroup telling me the computer joined to the home group is currently unavailable even though they are set not to hibernate/sleep. If I disable the firewall(s) then try I can connect to from one...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. firewall dns client windows 10

2. dns not logged in windows firewall