Windows 10: DNS Client service slow initialization if hosts file large

Discus and support DNS Client service slow initialization if hosts file large in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; System: Windows 10 on Surface book 2 15'' My hosts file in Windows\System32\drivers\etc directory has about 95000 entries (I need that file - it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RandomName0577, May 23, 2019.

1. DNS Client service slow initialization if hosts file large

System: Windows 10 on Surface book 2 15''

My hosts file in Windows\System32\drivers\etc directory has about 95000 entries (I need that file - it blocks certain web-pages from being accessible by sending their addresses to to 0.0.0.0). After restarting/turning on/waking from hibernation/ the machine, it takes about 5 minutes before the internet connection is established (exactly the same problem existed in Windows 7).

I believe that MS developers should take a look at the way DNS client service is implemented and optimize it.

The solution I have used so far was just disabling the DNS Client Service (through registry). However, some applications require that service to be running in order to work correctly (what I think is also a bug). Those applications are:

MS Edge,

MS Store,

Windows Sandbox (and probably more).

I hope Windows developers will take a look at the above issues.

:)

RandomName0577, May 23, 2019

2. Browser /connection security, hosts file and DNS service

You're saying that Open DNS(and other services like it) house their own list of known 'bad' sites, and by using their DNS servers, it will filter out sites based on that list?

Would you believe I was already using Open DNS servers.
    This means the hosts file is moot?

And furthering that, if there's any bespoke sites I want to manually add, I could do it through my router directly.

Thus I can empty my local hosts file and turn my DNS service back on?

newconroer, May 23, 2019
  3. Browser /connection security, hosts file and DNS service

Why would you have a 1.5MB hosts file? It's a plain text file, they should never be that large. Use a free DNS service to filter sites instead.

DanTheBanjoman, May 23, 2019
  4. DNS Client service slow initialization if hosts file large

Browser /connection security, hosts file and DNS service

Browser /connection security, hosts file and DNS service need recommendation

Recently I have been trying to identify if there is a program out there that integrates addresses from a host file, but then manages it in a dynamic way so that you can still use a DNS service and not get the hang up.
    By hang up I mean the process taking up at least 50% CPU usage and causing the system to be sluggish as well as websites to go into a looping cycle/crash out. This happens when you have a hosts file that's significantly large, say 1.5mb

More or less I'm looking for a 'smart' hosts file.

newconroer, May 23, 2019
Thema:

DNS Client service slow initialization if hosts file large

1. DNS Client service slow initialization if hosts file large - Similar Threads - DNS Client service

2. Dns client errors after changing host file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dns client errors after changing host file: I recently had to completely refresh my host file and followed the windows and 10 instructions on how to do it. But now I get this constantly in event viewer. Please help....
  3. Dns client errors after changing host file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dns client errors after changing host file: I recently had to completely refresh my host file and followed the windows and 10 instructions on how to do it. But now I get this constantly in event viewer. Please help....
  4. Dns client errors after changing host file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue: Hello, everyone! On 2021-06-01 I made a fresh install of Windows 10 Home, and now I am running version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.985). In Task Manager I can see that Service Host: DNS Client and Service Host: SSDP Discovery (together with a whole bunch of other network processes...
  6. DNS Client Service Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS Client Service Issue: Hello. After getting "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" in many websites, I tried to fix this by restarting the DNS client service. The problem is that there are no clickable buttons in the services window, and using cmd gives an error saying that the cammand was invalid and to...
  7. issue with DNS client service and large hosts file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    issue with DNS client service and large hosts file: When switching between a vpn and not, the DNS client service becomes active, maxing out at 25% cpu and all dns queries are unresponsive for 5 to 10 minutes. I confirmed this is the hosts file, as I deleted most entries (used for blocking) and this issue went away. Any...
  8. Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client: My Windows Version: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.535) From time to time this process (in the title) will suddenly rise CPU usage, making everything extremely slow and even games from 1994 will play slowly, for example. Sometimes it subsides by itself, but sometimes I need to...
  9. Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client

in Windows 10 Support
    Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client: My Windows Version: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.535) From time to time this process (in the title) will suddenly rise CPU usage, making everything extremely slow and even games from 1994 will play slowly, for example. Sometimes it subsides by itself, but sometimes I need to...
  10. DNS Client Service will not start

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS Client Service will not start: If I open the DNS Client Service (Dnscache) in Services.msc, the Startup Type drop down box is greyed out, so I cannot change the startup type. It was disabled and I wanted to change it to Automatic but cannot from the Services utility. So I changed the Start value to 2 in...